• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bindings for my bump skis

MR. evil

I just pixked up a pair of K2 Cabrawlers for a song, and I now need a pair of binding for them. Several of people have mentioned the Look PX12 or the Rossi Axial2 120's. I found these Axial2's online and can get them for $87 with a coupon code. I was also told that I should binding with flat mounts for the bumps skis, but I am not sure these are flat mounts.

http://www.evogear.com/outlet/alpine-ski-bindings/rossignol-axial-2-120.aspx

Hawkshot99

That looks like it has a lifter plate to it. It adds a few MM's (dont know how many) to the height your boot sits at.

jack97

I just pixked up a pair of K2 Cabrawlers for a song, and I now need a pair of binding for them. Several of people have mentioned the Look PX12 or the Rossi Axial2 120's. I found these Axial2's online and can get them for $87 with a coupon code. I was also told that I should binding with flat mounts for the bumps skis, but I am not sure these are flat mounts.

http://www.evogear.com/outlet/alpine-ski-bindings/rossignol-axial-2-120.aspx

iirc, Look PX12 has a height of 26 mm, the lifter version adds another 6 mm (slightly less than 1/4") in height and the jib version adds 3 mm.

I do recall (vaguely) and confirmed by hawk that the Axial2 is the lifter version of the PX12 or Rossi Scratch 120.

Most bummpers don't want that type of rise and rather ski close to the ground by choosing a flat ski and binding.

Having said that, it is a nice deal. IMO, the extra 6mm would make much of a difference for some one starting out.

MR. evil

I talked to the owner of my local ski shop, he has the PX12 JIB on sale for like $130, but I buy alot from the guy and have been a customer for years. He usually knocks off a few extra bucks for me. I am going to head down to his shop tommorrow and see if I can get a deal. If not I may just order these Rossi's. Like you said, given my skill level in the bumps, I doubt it will really make a differance.

Hawkshot99

Maybe I should pick up a pair.

In the past 3 years I have gone through 5 pairs of Axials, and other than the first trip were I had the skier type too low I have never pre-released. But I don't do moguls so I am not speaking in that area.

Hawkshot99

That looks like it has a lifter plate to it. It adds a few MM's (dont know how many) to the height your boot sits at.

I have a pair of those exact bindings(slightly different colors though...) sitting in my room, so I thought I would take some pictures.

The binding....
100_0276.jpg

Side view of the lifter plate. I do not have a way to measure it's height as the edges are taller than the part that the binding actually sits on.
100_0277.jpg

Top view of the plate.
100_0278.jpg

How much difference is their really between a lifter and not having a lifter? That is for you to decide. On powder skis it is "preferred" not to have lifters, but I put them on to get the ski on edge easier for when i ski trails, and notice no difference in the powder. I know different areas of use, just giving my thoughts.

jack97

I talked to the owner of my local ski shop, he has the PX12 JIB on sale for like $130, but I buy alot from the guy and have been a customer for years. He usually knocks off a few extra bucks for me. I am going to head down to his shop tommorrow and see if I can get a deal.

The jib version has the 3mm rubber cushion to absorb impact from landings. It might be a good binding to learn bumps with in case of mistiming.

Ask your local shop if he can take some money off on the mount. Local shops around my area will charge any where from 25-40 for a new mount.

ed-drum

I have been using Look bindings since the 70's and never had a problem with them. Never fell out of them and never twisted up my knee. They have a higher rebound to snap back in (1"). I notice that the majority of pros that I see on tv use them. I won't use anything else. Cost is not a factor with me, for it is cheaper to spend more on equipment than an ambulance ride. I ski bumps and when I hear a "click" and see someone go down near me it is a Marker. I told a guy I know about that who uses them and he gave me an argument. He tore up his knee two weeks ago and is down and out for a long time. Ed.

tekweezle

anybody have any opinions on how the Tyrolia LD12 RFII bindings would work on mogul skis? if level9sports has the mad trix mogul skis for 99$ again, i might take a flyer on them and the bindings i;d like to put on them are these they sell for 89$.

i know the RF plate adds some height. not ideal for park and freestyle but good for all mountain carving which is what i do about 90% of the time anyway.

i am not going to exactly be zippering down moguls. actually, i do the slow tail slap type of technique in the moguls. actually, i suck in the moguls which is why i want to try a mogul specific ski.

Greg

Staff member
anybody have any opinions on how the Tyrolia LD12 RFII bindings would work on mogul skis? if level9sports has the mad trix mogul skis for 99$ again, i might take a flyer on them and the bindings i;d like to put on them are these they sell for 89$.

i know the RF plate adds some height. not ideal for park and freestyle but good for all mountain carving which is what i do about 90% of the time anyway.

i am not going to exactly be zippering down moguls. actually, i do the slow tail slap type of technique in the moguls. actually, i suck in the moguls which is why i want to try a mogul specific ski.

I don't know anything about those bindings, but the name "Railflex" sounds to me like it's a demo binding and includes some junk on there you really don't want from an added weight standpoint. Just looks for some cheepy Rossis or Looks on eBay and have a local shop do the mount. If you carve 90% of the time, this is not the best ski choice. If you're looking to get a bump specific ski, then set it up that way, i.e. flat bindings, no lifters. It's kind of pointless otherwise.

Also, not sure what the slow "tail slap" technique is, but keep in mind the point of a comp level bump ski like this is to run the zipper, WC style (or as close to it as you can get). The narrowness and soft tails facilitate that. You might struggle trying to carve them through the bumps which could just frustrate you. It's my understanding that the Mad Trix is stiff as far as bump skis go and rewards you for skiing it well, but penalizes you for not staying on the gas. Brian and Pat ski on them. Perhaps they can better evaluate the ski.

bvibert

Staff member
Brian and Pat ski on them. Perhaps they can better evaluate the ski.

It's a skinny ass ski that's more like having a couple of 1x4s strapped to your feet. And they have scary snakes on them that everyone will comment about. Actually in all seriousness they did carve some decent GS type turns when they were actually tuned. I've never skied on any other bump skis so I can't comment on the relative stiffness too much, but they do seem much less stiff than my other two pairs of all mountain skis. They will punish you if you spend too much time in the back seat and will reward you if you can stay centered or a bit forward.

Greg

Staff member
okay, so any sort of lifters/plate not ideal in moguls.

Not going to kill you, but my feeling is if you're going through the exercise of buying a bump ski, then set it up the way it should be set up. Personally, I like being close to the snow on my bump skis. The point of lifters is to give you room to throw down carves without booting out (not that I could ever get a ski on edge that much). Obviously not much carving happens in the bumps. I guess there is some nominal weight savings too, but really how much do plastic lifters weigh anyway? A demo binding might add some significant weight though.

bvibert

Staff member
okay, so any sort of lifters/plate not ideal in moguls.

Not ideal no. I actually have Look PX12 demo bindings on mine, which are basically on lifters. They seem to be working OK. I wish I had went with regular PX12s though (level nine had the demos for $99 w/ free mounting so I went with that out of convenience..).

tekweezle

i run the RF II binding on my Salomon Scream Limited for all mountain usage. I like them because you can move the binding forward and backwards to change the characteristics of the skis to suit the terrain(more forwards for quicker turning, more backwards for better balance in powder). the added height of the RF plate helps with carving.

getting them mounted on a pair of skis like this would totally be a cost/flexibility thing. but it's sounding like not a good idea as the added height of the plate would interfere with skiing in moguls.

Greg

Staff member
i run the RF II binding on my Salomon Scream Limited for all mountain usage. I like them because you can move the binding forward and backwards to change the characteristics of the skis to suit the terrain(more forwards for quicker turning, more backwards for better balance in powder). the added height of the RF plate helps with carving.

getting them mounted on a pair of skis like this would totally be a cost/flexibility thing. but it's sounding like not a good idea as the added height of the plate would interfere with skiing in moguls.

Again, I'm nitpicking, and you might not notice a difference from a height or even weight standpoint. Also, realize that for bumps you're going to want to be forward all the time so adjustability is not a concern. The rule of thumb is to mount bindings on bump skis 1-4 cm forward of the standard mounting point. Does this really make a difference for the recreational skier like us? Probably not, but again, if you're going so far as to buy a bump ski, then apparently you're already looking for gear that will give you an edge. Might as well go all the way...

bvibert

Staff member
Ideally you want to find a light, flat mount binding. All that ability to move the binding adds weight too...