• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So whats your ski vehicle?

o3jeff

Daily driver and to ski car to local hill 05 Chrysler Pacifica which is a company car.
Pros: I don't pay for gas
Cons: I can't take it on ski trips on north

Personal car and for out of state ski trips 04 Acura TSX
Pros: fun to drive, fairly good on gas
Cons: not that great in snow on original tires
picture.php

Last edited:

Jonni

OD (Only Driver):

2004 Silverado HD 6.6L Duramax w/Allison Transmission.

Likes: Unstoppable in snow (considering the engine weighs as much as a small SUV), tons of cargo room. Can travel with three, four's pushing it. Good milage for such a large vehicle. Insane amount of torque (left an Acura in the dust on the climbing lane on Temple Mountain the other day...and I was loaded and pulling a small trailer). Espar heater (aftermarket) lets me come back to a pre-warmed cab at the end of the day.

Dislikes: Diesel full price upsidedown to gas. Parking in the city is a pain.

Much as I love it, I'll go smaller next time around. I'm not doing nearly as much work with it.

It's the Sledhauler Hauler!

For me it's my 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade:

n160401190_30086680_8940.jpg

Pros: Good in the snow, have never gotten stuck. Relatively roomy and has everything that I need in a car.

Cons: Not as good as it could be on gas (usually about 19 MPG or so).

WWF-VT

2001 Audi A6 wagon - my daily car , 2006 Subaru Outback wagon - wife's vehicle. We alternate which car we take on our weekly "commute" to the Mad River Valley from MA.

k2 four

Audi S4 Avant wagon; A blast to drive @ 340hp, six speed. All wheel drive with winter wheels and tires; great in the snow. Pass through ski bag and 40/60 fold down seats translate to no rack or box. Down side; pricey, average 15 mpg, the back seats don't have much leg room.

Mazda CX9; I just got this car. So far so good, we like it. Have not skied out of it yet. Skiing out of it will bring all of it's bad issues to the surface fast. Gets better milage than my Audi :)

hiroto

My wife's 2005 Honda Odyssey.

3rd row seat is 4,6 split and we lay the 4 part flat and pile up our skis (and this year, add a couple of boards too) there at the beginning of the season, and stay there until the end of the season.

Rossi Smash

Geoff...I'm with you, well sort of.

1998 VW GTI VR6 with four steel rimmed fresh Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60's

Absolutely a blast to drive in the snow

stomachdoc

Me: 2007 BMW 5 series AWD Wagon--6 speed manual tranny. Surprisingly capable in the snow and can fit all 3 kids and dog.

Wife: 2008 Mazda CX-9. 20" Performance tires aren't the best in the snow; will replace them for this winter. Best handling SUV I've driven (except for the MB GL--which I can't afford)

wa-loaf

05 Subi Outback 5sp. Got some cheapo snows on it. Works just fine in the snow. 25mpg all round. 28 on the highway.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Err, yea that's why I have the 5sp. The autos are really bad. :) :smash:

I can definitely attest to the automatics being extremely slow. My 1982 Honda Accord hatch back would beat the 2004 Legacy automatic I have now in a road race.

Though it sounds like Subaru has heard the complaints, apparently the new Forrester has some pretty decent pick up.

I like balance. I'd love to drive a car that gets mileage in the low 30's, but very few in that range have any power. Well, mini-coopers do, they might get a look when I have to replace the Subaru with another car for work.

mlctvt

I've heard that Subies are slow, but I didn't think it was that bad... ;)

Our Subis aren't slow :wink:, both 0-60mph in under 5.5 sec.
Subi turbo wagons are the ultimate "sleeper" cars.

Winter
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon 5MT, Stage one, four Dunlop Wintersport M3 snows
2005 Subaru WRX Wagon, Stage one, four Dunlop Wintersport M3 snows

Summer
1999 Miata 10th Aniv Ed, modified
1991 Toyota MR2

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Ours Subis aren't slow :wink:, both 0-60mph in under 5.5 sec.

Winter
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon 5MT, Stage one, four Dunlop Wintersport M3 snows
2005 Subaru WRX Wagon, Stage one, four Dunlop Wintersport M3 snows

Summer
1999 Miata 10th Aniv Ed, modified
1991 Toyota MR2

Those all look slow to me... ;)

Beetlenut

DD and ski car = '03 Mitsubishi Oulander AWD

No complaints, never got stuck, just got 4 new tires for the winter.

evil

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
Ski mobile is my girls 98 nisson quest minivan with Lousiana plates, an 04 inspection sticker, no shocks (thank you BQE), busted driver side door lock (thank you youth of Brooklyn), a tape deck, and a vhs and small tv screen in the back. Got to get chains for it this year.
My work wheels, the F train.