• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Tunes

tjf67

I have been following the same guy around for 8 years to tune my skiis. Had a core shot last weekend and just got the call. All fixed and racer ready. Billy can put an edge on a ski that will make them stick to granite. JEHAWW

Nothing like a fresh billy tune for some high speeders Sat am. The snow plow with a good tune is a powerful weapon against the steepest fastest hill in the east.

Sweet..AtomicSkier just tuned up my skis the other day and the difference is night and day..3 degree side bevel..one degree base bevel..ice isn't even noticeable..

tjf67

Sweet..AtomicSkier just tuned up my skis the other day and the difference is night and day..3 degree side bevel..one degree base bevel..ice isn't even noticeable..

thats funny. I have no idea what my bevel is. Never have Just bring them to Billy and he does the rest. Kinda ignorant on my part but I could give two sheats. As long as when i turn them over they stick I am happy.

thats funny. I have no idea what my bevel is. Never have Just bring them to Billy and he does the rest. Kinda ignorant on my part but I could give two sheats. As long as when i turn them over they stick I am happy.

Leave it to an expert..I thought I MacGuyver because I repaired my mini-blinds with duct-tape..one day when I have a house with a basement or garage I'll have a tuning setup..but for now I can get tunes for cases of beer..cheap beer at that..:spread:

Schneehund

I used to take mine to Lund's Ski Shop here just outside of Syracuse but they're closed now. :(

If anyone has a recommendation for a place in Central New York, I'd be much appreciative.

campgottagopee

Agree TJ, IMO, unless your a WC skier you'll never notice the diff between 1-2-3 degree anything.

campgottagopee

I used to take mine to Lund's Ski Shop here just outside of Syracuse but they're closed now. :(

If anyone has a recommendation for a place in Central New York, I'd be much appreciative.

Scheehund I know what your sayin---my buddy used to own Lund's and Nordic Sports but now is out of biz---been a family owned operation for 35 yrs or so, now gone. This economy really blows now. Anyway, not sure where you ski but Greek's shop is excellent---give them a try

Schneehund

Scheehund I know what your sayin---my buddy used to own Lund's and Nordic Sports but now is out of biz---been a family owned operation for 35 yrs or so, now gone. This economy really blows now. Anyway, not sure where you ski but Greek's shop is excellent---give them a try

Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah, I really miss them. They fitted my first boots and I used to get everything from them. It sucks that they're gone. I'll give Greek a try. I just picked up a great new pair at a ski swap this morning so I have need of a tune.

Greg

Staff member
Meticulously tuned edges are overrated. ;)

campgottagopee

Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah, I really miss them. They fitted my first boots and I used to get everything from them. It sucks that they're gone. I'll give Greek a try. I just picked up a great new pair at a ski swap this morning so I have need of a tune.

You'll be happy with the job they do---$$$$ not bad either

rueler

Disagreeing with you. Nothing bites into the hard snow/ice like a Vokle or atomic with their 3 degree side angle.

There's definitely a different ski feel when your edges are beveled. You should feel your skis hook up into the turn easier the higher your side bevel. The problems are 1) the amount of material you pull off your edges (unless you get new skis every year and don't care-your edges will have less life) and 2) you have to tune more often to keep that razor sharp feel on a more aggresive bevel. 3 degree on the side definitely gets a nice sharp edge...I skied 3 degree for years, but recently (last year) I switched all of my skis over to 2 degree...It doesn't require as much upkeep since I'm on snow at least 4 days a week. Once I've tuned them up at the beginning of the season, I usually just have to hit the edges with a 200 grit and 400 grit stone once a week.

I haven't noticed a big difference in performance on hard snow with 2 degree...As long as I'm not skiing lazy and I engage my edges "EARLY" in the turn (before the skis track back into the fall line) they hold fine.

Last edited:

campgottagopee

Disagreeing with you. Nothing bites into the hard snow/ice like a Vokle or atomic with their 3 degree side angle.

So, your saying you could tell the diff between 3 deg and 2 deg????

Also, my Nordica TF will chew up ice like nobody's biz---have no idea what degree nor do I care. 2 deg, 3deg, 2.75 whatever----a tuned ski will rip is all I'm saying

rueler

Also, my Nordica TF will chew up ice like nobody's biz---have no idea what degree nor do I care. 2 deg, 3deg, 2.75 whatever----a tuned ski will rip is all I'm saying

Absolutely...a tuned ski will rip no matter what the side bevel is at...but, I personally feel you can tell between a ski with bevel and one that's completely at 90 degree...Noticing the difference between a 2 and 3 degree means you're wicked precise and have a keen sense of snow feel.

snowmonster

I'm convinced of the advantages of a 3 degree side edge in ice and hardpack but I worry about filing away too much material and, of course, having to sharpen more frequently. The way I see it, a 2 degree side bevel is fine for my purposes. I may experiment with the 3 degree on my rock skis though.

Agree on the sentiment that, whatever the beveling, sharpening is what is most important.

Hawkshot99

No, but on trully icy days there is no doubt when i demo different skis back to back that the 3 degree skis dig in better.

My every day ski is 2 degree's and I love them. There is more to how well a ski digs in than degree angle, such as the skis design.

skidmarks

I'm convinced of the advantages of a 3 degree side edge in ice and hardpack but I worry about filing away too much material and, of course, having to sharpen more frequently. The way I see it, a 2 degree side bevel is fine for my purposes. I may experiment with the 3 degree on my rock skis though.

Agree on the sentiment that, whatever the beveling, sharpening is what is most important.

Atomic skis are 3 degree out of the box. Once the edge angle is set polish with stones and you won't be removing material. I you file often you are removing more material fast, regardless of the edge angles.

snowmonster

Atomic skis are 3 degree out of the box. Once the edge angle is set polish with stones and you won't be removing material. I you file often you are removing more material fast, regardless of the edge angles.

Thanks for the tip! I ski Rossis and have basicaly set them all on a 2 degree side edge bevel. I run a diamond stone along the edge after every day out there to refresh the edge. Usually, I'll refile at least once during the season especially if it's pretty icy or have hit a rock and have burred edges. I also polish edges with a medium and fine grit stone.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Thanks for the tip! I ski Rossis and have basicaly set them all on a 2 degree side edge bevel. I run a diamond stone along the edge after every day out there to refresh the edge. Usually, I'll refile at least once during the season especially if it's pretty icy or have hit a rock and have burred edges. I also polish edges with a medium and fine grit stone.

you really dont need to file to get you edges shap after a rock hit. course diamond stone followed by fine then a arkansas stone. then just hit it with the gummi. i file maybe once a season and i ride a lot of ice and crap.