• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New computer... fresh build

If you're just doing very basic stuff, $280 on Newegg. Tiny screen, and forget about even watching stuff on YouTube.

I'm happy with my Compaq as it retails for $700..I got a good deal at Circuit city before it went bankrupt..the HP I'm writing on now at work was almost a grand but it has a huge flatscreen monitor..

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
An operating system that all the cool guys use... :)

Windows vs. MAC vs. LINUX

No, linux is the operating system that all the guys who *think* they're cool use.

But in reality it's mostly the boomerang kids living in their mom's basement choking back the hot pockets and Rock Starr's, constantly mumbling something about how it's a good thing he's a nice guy because he could seriously send us back to the stone age with a couple of key strokes.

bvibert

Staff member
No, linux is the operating system that all the guys who *think* they're cool use.

But in reality it's mostly the boomerang kids living in their mom's basement choking back the hot pockets and Rock Starr's, constantly mumbling something about how it's a good thing he's a nice guy because he could seriously send us back to the stone age with a couple of key strokes.

You live in your Mom's basement and enjoy hot pockets?

Huh, never would have guessed.

Greg

Staff member
I'm in IT and this thread is way too geeky even for me.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep

SAY ONE MORE WORD, AND I'LL START WITH THOSE KEYSTROKES!!! :wink:

Actually, the advantages of Linux are too numerous to note, but let's start with the concept of an uber-powerful, FREE operating system. It's even as graphically "pretty" as Windows and OS X now, with the advent of KDE 4's desktop management, widgets, transparency, etc.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Are the 3 programs too resource intensive you couldn't run them on a virtual machine? Sooo much more convenient than dual boot...

That's a fair point. I will play around with VMs a little. Was really curious about Win 7, and have yet to reach a verdict. If I like it well enough, I'll continue to dual boot. Otherwise, I'll do some repartitioning and drop Windows all together.