• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Expert trails CLOSED, with NO Snowmaking....

millerm277

The other thing is: most of the trails people are complaining about, although they have snowmaking ability, in a normal year most of the cover would be provided by Mother Nature. When Nature gives zero assistance, the amount you have to blow (for it to be both credible and safe) is all that much more.

This is incorrect. These are trails that are virtually impossible for them to ever be open for any length of time without a man-made base. Double Dipper and Ovation especially.

bvibert

Staff member
the bush must be gettin pretty liberal with the trail openings. I would guess castlerock has to be of porcelain quality.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but to me it looks pretty good today:

424741_10150569550194437_668549436_8517875_214093321_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...69550194437_668549436_8517875_214093321_n.jpg

Hawkshot99

As a matter of fact I have owned my own business for almost 20 years now, thank you very much.

And I love my children, but that does not mean I do not tell them when they screw up.

And what is that business? Do you go and say screw the profits and just spend money like crazy because someone thinks you should? Something tells me you do not.

bdfreetuna

Killington had a great start to the season making more snow than anyone at first...

then I don't know what happened. I've been there 3 times... still the Canyon area double diamonds aren't open?

I could really care less about Bear Peak... I mean I might ski Devil's Fiddle or the glades over there if they are open.. but IMO the best terrain in the Canyons and that hasn't even opened up yet.

They should focus on opening up all the terrain on Killington Peak and maybe Snowshed too before trying to open up all the other mountains.

And what is that business? Do you go and say screw the profits and just spend money like crazy because someone thinks you should? Something tells me you do not.

I always try to think long term. Loosing a little money making extra snow now will bring in a lot more money next year. For goodness sake, next year's season pass sales are coming up soon. You cannot successfully run a ski area thinking only about the current year's dollars.

Hawkshot99

I always try to think long term. Loosing a little money making extra snow now will bring in a lot more money next year. For goodness sake, next year's season pass sales are coming up soon. You cannot successfully run a ski area thinking only about the current year's dollars.

Or they could blow the entire companies savings making snow that keeps getting rained away, only to realize that they have no money to open as a business next year. Now thats really thinking long term...

snowdays

Let me pose this question for everyone. Given the very difficult season weather wise and, frankly, not great conditions (the usual result of no snow), should Killington expect folks to pay full price? Should any mountain for that matter? Are you getting value for the price you pay?

I'm curious to understand what skiers and riders about the value they are receiving for the money spent. I try to look for deals as much as possible, but they are hard to find sometimes with blackouts and weekends being the only time I can go. Any thoughts?

Newpylong

Crappy year, no other way to describe it. I think it's lame but I see where they are coming from. There are many areas with steeps that won't see a snow gun this year...

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Every year the same people bitch non-stop about how they are getting screwed by Killington, yet the next year they get a pass there again and bitch non-stop again. If it is really that bad, dont ski there.

Exactly. Until you actually say something with your money (instead of saying it with your keyboard), nobody is going to listen to you. I probably wouldn't choose Okemo, though . . That place blows.

SkiFanE

Agree 100% Killington NEEDS expert trails. Don't know K's trails well...but doesn't sound very BEASTly to me. Is one expert trail all that's open? Seriously? Wow.

Well, as I speak I believe Sunday River is blowing the snot out of White Heat. They blew on Top Gun Friday (or Thu). They opened Black Hole this week, Agony. Looks like they lost a couple trails this week though, but they haven't given up. Lots of snowpower going to the halfpipe and rocking chair park, they haven't opened yet, so I guess we've gotta give them that lol. SR knows snowmaking is needed to sell tickets. I'm very excited for skiing tomorrow, they keep the energy going.

Gotta get some zzzzzzzzzz's....WH freshies in the am :daffy: