• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic - 3.10.13

xwhaler

I was surprised to see a cat track up Sorcerer....not sure why they did a 1 strip pass and then left the rest untouched. I've never seen that trail groomed....it does have a fair amount of shade so perhaps they thought grooming would get more skiers down it as the natural snow needs sun to be fun this time of year.
Regardless, both the ungroomed and groomed were pretty terrible when I went down it just before noon. I also saw Broomstick groomed for the 1st time so maybe they just did that to give folks an easier way to get to Black Line?

gmcunni

I was surprised to see a cat track up Sorcerer....not sure why they did a 1 strip pass and then left the rest untouched. I've never seen that trail groomed....it does have a fair amount of shade so perhaps they thought grooming would get more skiers down it as the natural snow needs sun to be fun this time of year.
Regardless, both the ungroomed and groomed were pretty terrible when I went down it just before noon. I also saw Broomstick groomed for the 1st time so maybe they just did that to give folks an easier way to get to Black Line?

we tried sorcerer before softening too, i found the ungroomed side softer. my son slipped on the groomed side and slide down 20 yard, couldn't stop.

i'm guessing most of the grooming was done right after closing the night before then it all froze overnight.

drjeff

we tried sorcerer before softening too, i found the ungroomed side softer. my son slipped on the groomed side and slide down 20 yard, couldn't stop.

i'm guessing most of the grooming was done right after closing the night before then it all froze overnight.

My 7yr old son and I made the DUMB mistake of hitting the groomed side of sorcerer for our 1st run about 8:30ish :eek: It was just a wee bit firm shall we say ;)

I'm guessing that whoever was operating the cat on Saturday night had a few "how the heck should I tackle this one" moments with some of the trails that they laid a strip of cord on, which I'm guessing hadn't seen a cat in years!! :lol:

xwhaler

The other odd grooming related thing I noticed yesterday was that they blocked the entrance to White Out from the top of Red. I likely would not have gone down it (never have actually) but it was weird to see a huge wall of snow 15'+ high blocking the entrance to the trail. I guess it was a convenient spot to put it all but it does take a trail off line for all intents and purposes ....not sure I've ever seen that done anywhere.

MadMadWorld

The other odd grooming related thing I noticed yesterday was that they blocked the entrance to White Out from the top of Red. I likely would not have gone down it (never have actually) but it was weird to see a huge wall of snow 15'+ high blocking the entrance to the trail. I guess it was a convenient spot to put it all but it does take a trail off line for all intents and purposes ....not sure I've ever seen that done anywhere.

You sure that wasn't the snowmobile trail heading out to Timberline?

Islander

It was indeed the snowmobile trail that leads over to Timberside, I am assuming that the snowmobilers were poaching ski trails on Magic.

gmcunni

Nearly certain it was not----maybe gmcunni or someone will also remember seeing this

It was indeed the snowmobile trail that leads over to Timberside, I am assuming that the snowmobilers were poaching ski trails on Magic.

the friends i skied with have a house up there on the Timber Ridge side of the mountain. They skied home on Sunday, going over the top of that mound.

xwhaler

Nice, just read some history of Timber Ridge...didn't realize those trails were still visible/skiable/not overgrown after these years

gmcunni

Nice, just read some history of Timber Ridge...didn't realize those trails were still visible/skiable/not overgrown after these years
not sure how well cared for all the trails are but if you are a regular at magic you probably are comfortable on "marginal" trails. i've also heard the current owner does do some maintenance and the trails are used frequently for snowmobiling and some private snow boarding events.

gmcunni

trail map from 1987 shows how the two areas were once connected but now the pile is used to keep people off who don't know where it goes.

1284465364.jpg

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
not sure how well cared for all the trails are but if you are a regular at magic you probably are comfortable on "marginal" trails. i've also heard the current owner does do some maintenance and the trails are used frequently for snowmobiling and some private snow boarding events.

I love skiing....its all opinion. I find crowded, overly groomed, skied off trails a lot more marginal than having a few rocks and sticks poking through!!

jrmagic

The owner has a groomer and uses it on some of the trails there. Actually he has come over the too and done some grooming on Magic a couple of seasons back. He's a good dude and is in the Black Line Tavern often enough for Saturday Apres.

gmcunni

The owner has a groomer and uses it on some of the trails there. Actually he has come over the too and done some grooming on Magic a couple of seasons back. He's a good dude and is in the Black Line Tavern often enough for Saturday Apres.

as i got on the black chair i saw condos just over the liftie's shoulder, a couple of people had setup a BBQ and were cooking up lunch, that where your place at? nice setup!!

jrmagic

as i got on the black chair i saw condos just over the liftie's shoulder, a couple of people had setup a BBQ and were cooking up lunch, that where your place at? nice setup!!
Thanks! You should have come over for a beer. Since im out of commission I was the designated BBQ guy and beer drinker in the tee shirt.