• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

fbrissette

On another note, Bill Stenger was quoted yesterday in a Montreal newspaper saying that work on the West Bowl would start in 2015...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I know this has been hashed out here before, but is it permitting that is holding this up or is it a money thing?

Probably both, as well as demand. And I'd rather have them wait until the time is right to build it instead of rushing. I just hate the overpromise, underdeliver.

jimmywilson69

Maybe they could phase it in as a back country type area like bracket basin. Although everything I have read is that there isn't much pitch over there.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
There are some spots on the upper 1/3rd of the bowl that will have some decent pitch. According to the master plan. One 350' vert section looks to have a pitch around 38 degrees (77%). However the bottom 1/3rd is pretty flat. The middle 1/3rd is somewhere in between :razz:.

fbrissette

Maybe they could phase it in as a back country type area like bracket basin. Although everything I have read is that there isn't much pitch over there.

There is a long runout including some climbing to get back to the resort, but there is plenty of pitch along the west bowl ridge. In fact doll peak and north of doll peak are nearly as steep as the ridge off of Jay Peak. It levels out mid way but there is solid backcountry potential.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
There is a long runout including some climbing to get back to the resort, but there is plenty of pitch along the west bowl ridge. In fact doll peak and north of doll peak are nearly as steep as the ridge off of Jay Peak. It levels out mid way but there is solid backcountry potential.
I like how the lifts stay below the ridge. There could be some great hike to lines off of the Doll Peak and false North Jay summits.

xlr8r

I'm pretty convinced that if it ever happens it will only be one additional lift and trail pod. I do not see them building the three to 4 new lifts. maybe a second lift to help connect the existing ski area to the west bowl.

But at this point I do not care. Jay Peak has been touting the west bowl for 20 years now. YES I SAID 20 YEARS!!! see the map on new england ski history http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/skiareaexpansions/Vermont/jaypeak.php#westbowl It originally appeared on a 1993 map.

It seems as though Jay is content to just continue to add real estate without investing in the mountain. Wasn't the Bonny supposed to be replaced 2 years ago with a six pack originally. And now it seems like the six pack is off the table for the foreseeable future.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I think they are getting their base infrastructure built (while the EB5 program is able to pump in money) so that lots of people can come and stay at the mountain and bring money with them.
The on mountain improvements have to be funded by the resort. EB5 money can't be used to build lifts and trails since they don't really create enough jobs that can be counted toward their price tag.
My armchair estimate for jobs created by a lift and trail pod might look something like this:
Costs -
1 HSQ = $4.5 Milllion
Clearing/grading 8 trails = $1 Million
Snowmaking expansion = $4 million
1 groomer = $1 million
Total = 10.5 Million

Jobs created -
3 lift attendants
2 snowmakers
4 patrollers
1 groomer operator
3 "other directly related jobs"
Total 13 jobs

To cover the $10.5 million, you would need 21 investors. Each one of those investors would need to 10 jobs created to validate their visas. That is 210 jobs.

Hotels/restaurants etc produce a lot more direct jobs and more easily tracked related jobs and are therefore a more attractive investment.

At least I think that is how it works.

My guess is they are tired of answering the West Bowl expansion question. Once they are done with the build out of Stateside and other condos, they will see what the market will bear for infrastructure development in the West Bowl and will build to demand.

LONGBOARDR

Word is that new red chair is on hold until west bowl permits are approved. That could be awhile with the way the state and feds operate. Personally, I love the west bowl, pristine and full of wildlife. Keep it basic and NEK real.
Put a surface lift in and skip the lodges, bars and waffle huts.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
My theory on the Powerline 6 waiting until West Bowl is actually going to be built is that it would likely be cheaper to install 3 or 4 lifts at all at the same time.
One of the main features of the Powerline 6 would be its higher top terminal which would make traversing to the West Bowl a lot easier. Jay won't really need that feature until the West Bowl is ready to open.

JPTracker

2014 Construction Projects

From the Jay Planning Commission & Zoning Board:

Construction Plans for Next Year:

Presentation by Jay Peak Resort: A preview of construction projects for 2014. Mr. Walter Elander representing Jay Peak Resort stated the resort has plans for three new construction projects for 2014, all concentrated on the Stateside Base Area. The projects are Stateside Mountain Cottages, An Indoor Recreational Center, and The Snowline Medical Center.

1. The Stateside Mountain Cottages: Mr. Elander stated the plan is to build 84 new units. He distributed diagrams to show preliminary plans showing unit locations, site plan elevations, and design. There will be 5, 12 quadplexes for a total of 60 units and 8 triplexes for a total of 24 units. The triplexes will be modular, the quadplexes will be standard construction, and buildings will be replicas of the cottage buildings they built this year. He said they hope to start construction in April of 2014. He said they will be submitting the act # 250 permits this month. He answered questions from board members about water run off, parking, fire protection, fire lanes, local permits, and unit location.
  2. The Indoor Recreation Center: Mr. Elander said the resort plans to build an Indoor Recreational Center. He gave an overview of building design and distributed diagrams to show preliminary plans, building location, site plan elevations and interior design. He said the interior of the building will have 13 climbing walls, a leap of faith, an arcade, concession area, a boutique movie theater, and the exterior will be corrugated steel. He said it will be licensed to serve beer and wine. He said the building will have a lot of HVAC needs because of its design and what will be inside. He answered questions from board members about: egresses, fire protection/lanes, parking, climbing area supervision, ventilation, and building design.
  3. Snowline Medical Center: Mr. Elander said the resort plans to build a walk in medical clinic on the site of the former Snowline Lodge property. He presented a conceptual plan to the board which showed the building location. He said the clinic will be a partnership between North Country Hospital and N.O.T.C.H. He said it will be open to residents of Jay, Westfield, Troy, Montgomery, and guests at the resort. He said it will be staffed with a secretary, Nurse Practitioner, and a lab technician. He said the clinic will be capable of taking x-rays, doing blood work, and will have a pharmacy dispensary. He answered questions from board members about the project.