• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Top 10 East Coast Ski Resorts Under 1100

gmcunni

[h=2]Top* 10 East Coast Ski Resorts Under 1100′[/h]
  1. [h=3]Ski Butternut, MA[/h]
  2. [h=3]Camelback, PA[/h]
  3. [h=3]Holiday Valley, NY[/h]
  4. [h=3]Plattekill Mountain, NY[/h]
  5. [h=3]Blue Mountain, PA[/h]
  6. [h=3]Lost Valley, ME[/h]
  7. [h=3]Elk Mountain, PA[/h]
  8. [h=3]Wachusett Mountain, MA[/h]
  9. [h=3]Suicide Six, VT[/h]
  10. [h=3]Mountain Peter, NY[/h]
saw this list recently published (republished?). Having revisited Butternut for the first time in 20 years i was pleasantly surprised at how "pretty good" it was. I don't think i hit the busiest of days and that can certainly transform a place from good to crap based on how they manage it (not saying they manage good or bad) but i'll be checking it out a few more times next year too. Especially with the decent CSC discount.

* Snow East Magazine

BenedictGomez

Camelback ranked higher than Plattekill is offensive.

And Blue Mountain being ranked higher than Elk Mountain is ridiculous.

As usual these lists fail spectacularly.

trackbiker

Camelback ranked higher than Plattekill is offensive.

And Blue Mountain being ranked higher than Elk Mountain is ridiculous.

As usual these lists fail spectacularly.

I would rank Camelback below Plattekill, Elk, and Blue. Not necessarily in that order.

Once again a nonsense list.

Savemeasammy

I wonder how much it costs these ski areas to be on this list? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

I've only skied four on the list and a couple of those were under poor conditions or a great many years ago, but would rank those four in this order: Plattekill, Wawa, Camelback, Suicide Six. Never skied Elk, but have heard good things about it. I have skied Black, NH and thought it was very good with some short, but surprisingly challenging steeps. I did not ski Plattekill on a good day. Only a couple of trails were open from summit. Blockbuster wasn't one of them and no glades were open, but the mtn has a good and steep fall line. I guess Mt. Abram, ME just misses this list as being a few feet more than 1100' vertical. It's got some pretty good advanced terrain and may rival Plattekill.

However, my clear favorite in the east in the under 1100 vertical foot range is not on the list. First place I ever skied back in 1967, so sentimental bias here probably: Blue Knob, PA (1070' vert), about an hour east of Pittsburgh. It has a good, long bump run called Extrovert (~700 vertical foot continuous steep fall line) that would appear to be the equal or superior to what I saw of Blockbuster. There is also a legit black diamond bump run under a lift that is fairly steep and very narrow called Route 66. But what really gives BK some black diamond cred is the extensive amount of expert level glade skiing when they get natural snow. Unfortunately, Mother Nature only cooperates for that probably three weeks per season on average:-(
1000x500px-LL-b53f02d4_blueknob21feb10+116.jpg
Extrovert side view

4c9fcb0ad5ca5.jpg
Looking down the bottom two-thirds of Extrovert

blue knob, mdskier john.jpg
A little bit of Route 66 in left background

1000x500px-LL-0ce3e954_blueknob21feb10+110.jpg
East Wall Glades

deadheadskier

Staff member
That extrovert trail picture kind of reminds me of Cascade at Killington back in the days of the old double.

yeggous

Most of these lists, especially is Snow East, ignore New Hampshire and Maine. These publications cater to the hordes in the Mid-Atlantic who make a few trips a year to southern Vermont.

Mapnut

Lost Valley and Mt. Peter on the list is totally ridiculous; both are extremely not resorts but local hills. Also Butternut, while nice enough has almost no expert terrain.