• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Which mountain do you prefer (Mount Snow, Stratton, Killingon)?

RustyGroomer

There's still a ton of snow. As hard as we tried we couldn't get to it all.

bvibert

Staff member
Magic yesterday.
10407027_10206195663794211_8255250886215900319_n.jpg

How come they didn't groom?!?! :eek:

;) Seriously, that looks sweet!

farlep99

Looking at weather forecasts Magic will be on like donkey kong for a little while. No warmups in sight- this Feb should be fantastic

tekweezle

I like Killington because atleast it has more terrain than I can probably ski in a day or 2.

But if you're bored of Killington, go north-Stowe, Sugarbush, Jay, etc.... Nothing south of it has anything you won't be bored of in a day or less. Some are decent for a 1 day diversion but the larger ones like Okemo and Stratton are primarily for cruising.

Sent from a Freedompop HTC Evo 4G

bman1

I'm going to hit Magic on Saturday and then maybe Mount Snow Sunday. Thanks for the heads up on Magic!

RustyGroomer

I know I'm the minority here & that's ok by me. I just never have bad days @ Magic. It's hardly ever the same. Always find a winning trail/spot somewhere.

rocks860

Well I'm of the opinion that a place that grooms 90% of their trails flat is always going to be more boring than a place like magic

RustyGroomer

I'm going to hit Magic on Saturday and then maybe Mount Snow Sunday. Thanks for the heads up on Magic!
I cannot wait for this comparison. Although I have HUGE doubts you'll be @ Mt. Snow Sunday.

bdfreetuna

Sometimes Mt Snow is more fun, sometimes Magic is more fun. It's always good to switch it up.

Usually skiing at Mount Snow I ski to the last chair.

Usually skiing at Magic I barely make it past 2:00PM.

Magic is clearly the more difficult skiing experience. Whether that adds up to more actual fun depends on a lot of other individual factors.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Now hold on. How difficult is Magic? Depends on your ambition. I spent a lot of time last weekend with an underconfident blue (high beginner even) skier. She spent the day on the greens and was in heaven. Me? I could rip the greens and blues good, but no sweat was broken. Since this site probably has 5,000 lurkers, let's be fair and say Magic can dole it out,or Magic can be a luxury cruise. I'll write up a more balance TR in the other folder.

Also, don't forget, if you DO get tired of Magic, you're a short ride away from Okemo, Bromley, and Stratton. It's not like you're stuck there.

RustyGroomer

I agree Tuna. Certainly different opinions amongst skiers, I am biased. Just saying with the snow right now Magic is hard to beat. Bman, if you're certain on this, have a ticket for you. Have to clear w/management for a name transfer,.... I doubt they will have a problem. $40. If no, let me know. Trying to get rid of this for a friend.

RustyGroomer

& Billski. Your FB (I think) comment was awesome!! About the beginner loving the uncrowded greens. Made me smile.

xlr8r

As has been said here many times, Mount Snow, Stratton, and Okemo are very very similar. I would rank them as:
1. Stratton - Best glades, trails have a lot of character, best lifts, but no really steep trails, and the clientele is a too rich and obnoxious.
2. Mount Snow - Best Steeps, most trails left ungroomed, but also feels most crowded, main face trails are very flat, and Carinthia is now lost to the park rats.
3. Okemo - Biggest, but also overgrooms everything, trails are very bland, and has a bad lift layout.

Magic and Bromley are both very different than these three.

Cornhead

Usually skiing at Magic I barely make it past 2:00PM.
Imagine if there were a high speed chair whisking you to the top. The long, slow ride on the red chair was a welcome rest for this overweight 53 year old. I was toast by two also, it was nice getting back home in time to hit the Y for a steam. We also hit Brook's in Oneonta early enough to not wait in line, or sit at the counter. Man, good thing I don't live closer to that place, I'd be knocking on 300lb's door...again.

Thinking of knocking Hickory off my list Saturday, closed since Monday's storm, picking up snow daily until Saturday. All the rustic charm of Magic, but no rest for the weary, surface lifts only. Should be another memorable first time experience. Hope I can last till noon!

Oh, haven't skied Mt Snow, prefer Killington to Stratton, but I've had some fun days at Stratton.

Last edited:

gladerider

nice trees to at Mount Snow better then starton I think.

really? i haven't been to snow in 2 years but snow has better glades than stratton? i guess i am missing something.

i spend most of my time in the glades and i go to stratton specifically for that reason. looks like i need a tour of snow soon.