• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

Newpylong

It's fine until something breaks and you can't get parts for it so it misses half the season.
That was a perfect storm issue with the drive that was due to be replaced this off season anyway. It doesn't mean a lift that only runs weekends needs to be replaced.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
It's fine until something breaks and you can't get parts for it so it misses half the season.
Needles is fully duplicated by the Skyeship, so even if it breaks, there is no loss in accessible terrain.

Given the investment in the Summit Lodge at Killington, I would think that the absence of a 2nd way to reach the summit if something happened to K1, would be a bigger problem.

skiur

Needles is fully duplicated by the Skyeship, so even if it breaks, there is no loss in accessible terrain.

Given the investment in the Summit Lodge at Killington, I would think that the absence of a 2nd way to reach the summit if something happened to K1, would be a bigger problem.

There were multiple occasions this year that both lifts (needles and skyeship) were down at the same time, especially since needles missed half the season and skyeship is the biggest POS on the mountain.

skiur

That was a perfect storm issue with the drive that was due to be replaced this off season anyway. It doesn't mean a lift that only runs weekends needs to be replaced.

There have been a lot of problems with needles the last five years besides the drive that took it out for half the year this year.

letitsnow1

It would have been great if they fixed the potholes in bear parking lot, it's been bad all season

Newpylong

It isn't because there are 5 other lodges plus the hotel if the Peak lodge is not accessible. The entire mountain can be skied from other lifts save GE off the top, DD/Cascade Headwalls and Catwalk. There will never be a second lift to the peak. The only real angle of approach is from South Ridge and they've said they looked into it and the disadvantages far outweighed the advantages.

Last edited:

Newpylong

There were multiple occasions this year that both lifts (needles and skyeship) were down at the same time, especially since needles missed half the season and skyeship is the biggest POS on the mountain.
That doesn't mean they need to be replaced though, they just need to be maintained. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Needles quad and there certainly doesn't need to be higher capacity out of Northbrook.

I wouldn't spend another dollar on lifts until the Skyeship cabins are replaced and long term mechanical deficiencies are resolved.

Last edited:

skiur

That doesn't mean they need to be replaced though, they just need to be maintained. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Needles quad and there certainly doesn't need to be higher capacity out of Northbrook.

I wouldn't spend another dollar on lifts until the Skyeship cabins are replaced and long term mechanical deficiencies are resolved.

Agreed, that's why I hAd skyeship #1 and needles #4 on list of needing replacement.

letitsnow1

Yesterday was great, nice corn soft bumps and no people.the snowpack took a beating since last weekend. The sun's out this morning and looks like a great day for bears last day.

Hawk

I heard somthing from one of my corprate friends the other day. I heard that some Alterra people were kicking around Killington recently. Not sure if is was just a visit to see how they do things or if there is something a little more deep but something was up.

machski

I heard somthing from one of my corprate friends the other day. I heard that some Alterra people were kicking around Killington recently. Not sure if is was just a visit to see how they do things or if there is something a little more deep but something was up.
Well, if K is ever getting a base village, I would say Alterra would be vastly better capitalized than Powdr for that. Not to mention the interconnect.

Hawk

Bode, the talk is that Killington might be getting a base village like a smaller Pallizades or Vail. It would be in the K1 parking lot area or so the rumor has it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, as I said a while back, those inside the industry see POWDR as a logical target for acquisition by Alterra. I would not be surprised if Cummings sells POWDR and keeps Snowbird. Maybe he just cashes out. It is a tough industry and, from what I am seeing, POWDR does not do a good job making money or running a business.