• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

Zand

You should have been here yesterday two completely different days
I wish I could've but I work on Saturdays (which is fine from a skiing standpoint, I'd rather be out there on a weekday than a Saturday).

Today's recap...

The okay: Needles Eye, Cascade, Header
The bad: Superstar, Skyelark, Highline
The ugly: East Fall, Ridge Run, Great Bear

The very bottom of each peak had some softer snow if it was groomed. Stuff like Highline softened in weird spots and was complete shit in others. Steeps groomed last night like Superstar and Cascade had enough wet sand to be edgeable on top of the boilerplate, but Superstar was also full of massive death cookies. Header was pretty creamy and was fun flying over the grassy bare patches.

Great Bear and Ridge Run were rock solid bumps surrounded by sheet ice. Easily the worst runs I've skied all year. East Fall was slightly softer but very thin and also crowded so it was a total shitshow.

It's a shame the weather turned as bad as it did. The temps were never really looking great today, but until this morning it looked like sun and then the heavy clouds and useless snow showers dominated the day, causing the temps to drop into the 20s.

I really hope they change course next weekend and give K1 one more weekend to give it a proper spring sendoff. It's a shame how much snow is left for them to just shut it down.

PXL_20240421_192348692.jpg

Really didn't feel like pulling the camera out much today, but here's a look at the disaster on Great Bear. There was no way around this ice sheet, it was all the way across the trail right at the bridge. You just had to straightline over it and smash into the rock solid bumps on the other side. Fun!

Zand

"All lifts except for the Superstar Express have been closed for the 2023/24 winter season, or at least for now."

I predict that if the weather is decent next weekend that we will at least see the Gondola reopen and that Killington will act all heroic for doing it.

Zand

I'm sore as hell today. Left ankle is killing me probably from slamming into a frozen mogul wrong. Right elbow is also in some pain, I think I slipped right as I did a pole plant and tweaked that.

Damn you mother nature.

KustyTheKlown

sorry you had a bad weekend but your posts make me feel slightly better.

not that skiing killington this weekend was important, but it was the plan. until our 20 year old best friend cat got sick on tuesday and had to be put down by friday. it's been a horribly difficult week for us.

maybe ski this coming weekend.

NYDB

I'm glad they are reopening the gondola but I thought Friday was considered the weekend now in the Ski Industry. Anyway, I wish they ran it for Friday too.

abc

but I thought Friday was considered the weekend now in the Ski Industry.
ski industry or not, Friday has been a Saturday spillover for those who have the flexibility for as long as I’ve worked. It’s a day we worked from home to get chores out of the way so we can β€œplay” on Saturday!

Mid-winter, many ski Friday to avoid the Saturday crowd, while doing chores on Saturday instead. Now that there’s no crowds on Saturday, there’s little motivation to do that β€œswitch” any more. Friday is back to be the β€œchores/work hybrid day”. ;)

JimG.

Staff member
sorry you had a bad weekend but your posts make me feel slightly better.

not that skiing killington this weekend was important, but it was the plan. until our 20 year old best friend cat got sick on tuesday and had to be put down by friday. it's been a horribly difficult week for us.

maybe ski this coming weekend.
Sorry for your loss.

NYDB

rolled in about the crack of noon today.

everything was soft by 2pm except the headwalls on Ovation, supastah and skyhawk which never really softened.

Not a cloud in the sky but a cool breeze.

first time I was ever in the new K-1 lodge. I hope it’s helps them service and feed a lot more people than the old one.

otherwise it reminds me of eating in the food court at a BJ’s or Sam’s wholesale club.

though Ive always like the peak lodge. I know it’s the same style but I don’t know. I’m no architect. Maybe k-1 lodge is perfect on a busy Saturday.

Last edited:

Zand

I hate it. It's so sterile and bland. It gets insanely hot inside with any kind of sun. The astronomical prices for food are totally needless even by ski area standards.

I used to actually like the old KBL. It was way too small for where it was, but it kind of felt homey in a weird way. I liked the old bar too, I stopped in there for a beer every time I went to Killington. I haven't bought a single beer in the new lodge.

New lodges can still be built well and the food and drinks can be priced reasonably. Stateside Lodge at Jay is a really terrific lodge IMO (and the shithole it replaced was probably the smelliest lodge in New England). Yet the food prices are still very reasonable. I'm sure Killington gets plenty of customers in the new food court and the new bar and they see it as a success, so good for them. But in my opinion that lodge absolutely sucks.

RH29

I like the Stateside lodge at Jay but it always feels sort of dim/dank for such a new lodge. That said, the prices are great and it's clean inside with good amount of seating.
Love the peak lodge at K. Don't love it's prices but I've always had good food there.

Zand

North Ridge Quad added to the menu for this weekend. Based on the webcam, they groomed Double Dipper which kind of sucks but it'll bump right back up anyway. Also heard that they groomed Ovation yesterday, which also kind of sucks but they also took the opportunity to fill in the return back to Superstar so that will hopefully bump back up nicely as well.

I'm still shooting for Sunday, looks cloudyish but at least it'll be 30 degrees warmer than last Sunday and should be soft from the get go. Tomorrow will be cold at the bell but looks like sunny and 50s so enjoy!

Edit: I may be dead wrong about Dipper. Looked real flat in the morning sun but now it looks like all the bumps are there.

NYDB

10-2 shift today. they should have run k-1. too many people there today for the SS pod only with all the snow in the canyon just sitting there.

everything was soft today by 12. 5 minute lines most of the day. my daughter didn't want to hike so didn't get a chance to hit anything other than lift served.

didn't notice DD bumps knocked down.

probably a wrap on the season for me.