• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

longest pair of boards you ever used?

2knees

just wondering what was the longest pair of skis you ever had. I was talking to the owner of a sporting goods store where i used to work and she got on my case for using 175's. She knows her shit and was telling me i should drop down to a 165 or less. Got me to thinking about this subject and how far we've come. I used a pair of 205 atomic ARCs for one season. The banana yellow ones. damn they were big AND ugly.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
just wondering what was the longest pair of skis you ever had. I was talking to the owner of a sporting goods store where i used to work and she got on my case for using 175's. She knows her shit and was telling me i should drop down to a 165 or less. Got me to thinking about this subject and how far we've come. I used a pair of 205 atomic ARCs for one season. The banana yellow ones. damn they were big AND ugly.

165 or less?

How much do you weigh?

If that's not too personal a question. Or answer.

2knees

165 or less?

How much do you weigh?

If that's not too personal a question. Or answer.

140-145.

from what i undestand, its common for people still to buy too long a ski. not that i have a clue as i'm not a gear head in any way shape or form.

dmc

207 K2 SLC Comps...

Bent them in a bump contest...

Greg

Staff member
205 cm Blizzards. The had the "turn control system" which was actually more dramatic sidecut than what was prevalent at the time (mid 90's). I skied these throughout my intermediate years. They were big and heavy and probably good to build skill. Once I got on my first pair of shaped skis (190 cm Dynastar Max Ones) around 1999, it seemed like I immediately jumped up a few notches in skill.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
140-145.

from what i undestand, its common for people still to buy too long a ski. not that i have a clue as i'm not a gear head in any way shape or form.

Ooh, ok. I was assuming you were heavier. That makes sense. I'm in the 165 neighborhood and of all the demo's I've done I feel most comfortable on ~175 cm.

highpeaksdrifter

Spent alot of seasons on 205's. Several skis. I remember when I first got on 188's looking at them riding up the chair and thinking how short they looked, then came 177's and now 170's. I won't go shorter then that. I'm 5'8" and 190 lbs.

Birdman829

Ooh, ok. I was assuming you were heavier. That makes sense. I'm in the 165 neighborhood and of all the demo's I've done I feel most comfortable on ~175 cm.

I weight 180ish and I'm on Fischer RX9's in a 165. Just goes to show different strokes for different folks. The longest skis I ever had are actually on their way right now. I just bought Volkl Karmas in a 177. Longest non-shaped was a 175.

2knees

207 K2 SLC Comps...

Bent them in a bump contest...

thats pretty impressive. I struggled big time skiing bumps on the 205's. Among other things, i had problems with the tails actually catching the bump behind me when i would turn.

dmc

thats pretty impressive. I struggled big time skiing bumps on the 205's. Among other things, i had problems with the tails actually catching the bump behind me when i would turn.

I loved those skis... they were extremely tough in tight bumps... I bought them for big mountain skiing..

I made it to the second round and bent them... :(
then I did my third round on a snowboard... There were no rules saying i couldnt... It was pretty funny..

rob56789

i just bought a pair of new k2 apache x's this season and thier 181s

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Years ago (won't say when) I had 170s. And I'm 5' 1-1/2" and 108 lbs!

Down to 159 now, but I'd like to go shorter (not in height -- in ski length, of course!).

JimG.

Staff member
211cm K2 Extremes; bent 2 pair and blew out a sidewall on a third pair, all replaced free of charge by K2.

And those were my all mountain skis! My bump skis were 203cm K2 KVC Comps and I considered those very short.

tirolerpeter

Ski Lengths?

I have skied on skis as long as 215cm. My last pair of "straight's" were 200cm or 203cm Volant FX-2's. They were and still are incredible on so called "eastern packed powder" (i.e., ice). You could hit terminal velocity on them on any surface and they NEVER chattered. I actually just gave them to a "traditionalist" friend who swears he will never ever use "shaped" skis. He generally skis the "packed powder" at Whiteface. I also have and still use my 183cm Volant "Power Karves." They are excellent in powder, and will break through any kind of crud. They too simply do not lose their edges on virtually any surface. I now mainly use my Volant "Platinums" in a 164cm length. Not quite as stable at speed as the prior two pair, but still good in modest (up to about 8" - 10") powder, and a lot of fun in bumps and in the trees. I know, everybody says I will bend them in the bumps, but so far so good. They work fine for me since I am 5' 7 and around 170 lbs. When I move out west I intend to buy a pair of 175cm "powder boards" for those "powder days" in the Wasatch Mountains.

jack97

140-145.

I weigh around the same, I prefer skis from 160 to 170. I still have a pair at 175, I bought them about four years ago when I was 15 pounds heavier, right know they just feel too clunky.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
210cm Sideral Numero Uno's, great for stable fast cruising but a killer in the bumps and trees which of course didn't stop me from trying...lol I only used them for a couple of seasons. I spent many years on my 207cm Rossi Strato's, 1970 model with the then state of the art Marker Explodemat's.