• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ski comparrison tool

gmcunni

want to pick up a new all mountain ski this spring (end of year sale scenario). anyone know of a good tool to narrow selection and compare models?

i have this one, it isn't great (needs more choices to narrow the selection)
http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/skis

hoping to hit the Okemo for the this weekend and want to have a short list of skis to try (if i can confirm what brands will be represented)
MARY DAVIS SPRING DEMO

Test out the latest in skis and snowboards from companies such as Nordica, Salomon, Bean, Never Summer, and more at the Mary Davis Spring Demo!

This demo is free of charge and open to the public. All participants are required to fill out forms and leave a credit card imprint to demo equipment. This event will take place at the Solitude Base Lodge from 8am-2pm on March 10th.

wa-loaf

A lot of the manufactures have ski selection tools. See what you end up with there and then go to the online reviews to see how they stack up against one another.

BackLoafRiver

FWIW - I just picked up the Armada TST. All Mountain twin with rocker in the front and camber underfoot. It is 102 at the waist (which might be a little bigger than what you mentioned) but is super agile. It combines the tech from the JJ and the ANT with the elf-shoe shovel from the JJ that gives it some nice float.

http://armadaskis.com/product/skis/tst/

I haven't had a chance to put up a review yet but the short version: fast, nimble, and versatile.

o3jeff

Have you considered last years Dynastar Sultan 85's? Thats what I have and was killing it on them last weekend.

gmcunni

Have you considered last years Dynastar Sultan 85's? Thats what I have and was killing it on them last weekend.

my current thinking is i want wider than that,i have 84 now. i did come across a Dynastar Sultan 94 in my googling last night, it got put on the list.

current list -

dynastar legend 94
dynastar sultan legend 94

atomic theory - 95

Line Prophet 98
Line Prophet 90

blizzard bonafide - 98
blizzard bushwacker - 88

nordica Hell and Back - 98

volkl Kendo - 88
volkl mantra - 98

rossi s3 - 98

Last edited:

o3jeff

my current thinking is i want wider than that,i have 84 now. i did come across a Dynastar Sultan 94 in my googling last night, it got put on the list.

current list -

dynastar legend 94
dynastar sultan legend 94

atomic theory (95)

Line Prophet 98
Line Prophet 90

blizzard bonafide (98)
blizzard bushwacker (88)

nordica Hell and Back (98)

volkl Kendo (88)
volkl mantra (98)

rossi s3 (98)

Why are you using smilies instead of numbers? No wonder why your google searches aren't working.

57stevey

I've been on S3, Hell&Back, Bushwacker, and Solly Sentinel (similarly sized to Legend/Sultan 94 but perhaps a bit stouter.) I liked them all but in different ways. What would you like these proposed new skis to do better than your current mid-80's skis? Will you be *keeping* the current skis, or is this new ski to be the daily driver?

gmcunni

I've been on S3, Hell&Back, Bushwacker, and Solly Sentinel (similarly sized to Legend/Sultan 94 but perhaps a bit stouter.) I liked them all but in different ways. What would you like these proposed new skis to do better than your current mid-80's skis? Will you be *keeping* the current skis, or is this new ski to be the daily driver?

looking for a new daily driver. feel wider is better for ungroomed - be it rare pow, soft spring, occasional trees, soft stuff on sides of trail. but i still want a ski with edge hold and decent bump performance.

Hawkshot99

looking for a new daily driver. feel wider is better for ungroomed - be it rare pow, soft spring, occasional trees, soft stuff on sides of trail. but i still want a ski with edge hold and decent bump performance.

Based on your list, and description I would recommend the Blizzard Bushwacker. You need to be truthfull with yourself on what you will really be using the ski for. Would you rather have a ski that handles better on the majority of your days, or a fat ski that is awesome in the 1 powder day you get a year?

gmcunni

Based on your list, and description I would recommend the Blizzard Bushwacker. You need to be truthfull with yourself on what you will really be using the ski for. Would you rather have a ski that handles better on the majority of your days, or a fat ski that is awesome in the 1 powder day you get a year?

i'm trying hard to make it up to Okemo this weekend for the demo day. i've done brief demos on a few mid 90mm skis, i *think* i'd be happy with them full time but want to test more.