• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Infamous "How Do You Wear Your Pass?" Question

thetrailboss

Staff member
Unofficial Network has an article hashing out the pros and cons: http://unofficialnetworks.com/hell-attach-ski-pass-88672/

I used to use a carabiner to hold my pass to my pants. It was the screwgate kind like this one:

rocklocks.jpg

In my 20 years or so of skiing with a season pass, I have only lost my pass twice. Once in 2010 at the AZ Summit at Sugarloaf when the cold made the plastic brittle and my pass snapped off the keychain ring in the carabiner. And this past January when the turnstile at the Snowbird Tram took it off my pants without me knowing. So now I use the lanyard around my neck, which works well considering that Snowbird only scans at the base lifts.

I will admit to once having a nerdy pass armband..... :dunce:

mriceyman

I have one of those nifty hidden card holder Pockets on my pants.

Trekchick

Lanyard around my neck most of the time. Especially since most of the places I ski have the RFD set up.
For those places where you need to scan the actual ticket, I use a key ring on a zipper pull.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I tried the lanyard this year and it was annoying because it would always blow around to my back and I'd have to dig it out on account of my super high speeds :lol:

HowieT2

my pass lives in a pocket of my shell (cloudveil) on my left arm attached to a retractable cord. I simply pull it out to scan and it snaps right back into the pocket. Four seasons, never had a problem scanning, can't forget it and its secure and out of the way. only issue is I have to take my right glove off to pull it out.

My wife and kids have theirs on a retractable lanyard attached to their ski pants. contrary to what's written in that article, none of them have broken despite the kids fiddling with them constantly.

snowmonster

Not a fan of those armbands because they tend to slip down my arm over the course of the day.

My jacket has a small plastic loop at the hem and I attach my pass through that by a metal loop. I used to have one of those retractable passholders that Sunday River used to give out for free. The design flaw with that thing is that the retractable cable is just some thread that breaks over time. When the thread broke, I just salvaged the metal clip and used that. Passes can crack especially around the hole. I recommend duct tape.

Mpdsnowman

I have the armband and you do have to get used to it. Funny thing is ive never had a tree rip it off...yet lol...
164136_1254652424336_1770336031_479469_4770715_n.jpg

Prior to the armband I did use the inside holder of my jacket. I just didnt like flipping it up all the time..

ScottySkis

When I had a pass, i just had it in pocket on pants that was easy to scan, open the pocket for ski checker and i did that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not a fan of those armbands because they tend to slip down my arm over the course of the day.

My jacket has a small plastic loop at the hem and I attach my pass through that by a metal loop. I used to have one of those retractable passholders that Sunday River used to give out for free. The design flaw with that thing is that the retractable cable is just some thread that breaks over time. When the thread broke, I just salvaged the metal clip and used that. Passes can crack especially around the hole. I recommend duct tape.

I never trusted those retractable things. And the author of the article made some wise remarks about them....

Glenn

"Retractable string"

The mountain gives them out each year. I find they last at least one season. They don't last if you shut them in the car door.

ripzillia

On my Carhart jacket so when I zip it up the ticket(s) flaps in my face.

deadheadskier

Staff member
my pass lives in a pocket of my shell (cloudveil) on my left arm attached to a retractable cord. I simply pull it out to scan and it snaps right back into the pocket. Four seasons, never had a problem scanning, can't forget it and its secure and out of the way. only issue is I have to take my right glove off to pull it out.

That's a great feature that I wish more ski jackets had.

I use a lanyard inside my jacket. It's PITA to fish it out. Suppose I should do something different next winter.

Trekchick

I tried the lanyard this year and it was annoying because it would always blow around to my back and I'd have to dig it out on account of my super high speeds :lol:
I use the lanyard for resorts with the RFD that doesn't require that you get it out.
Makes it easy to take it off and put in my boot bag, where it lives, so I don't forget it in a jacket pocket when I change jackets. Yes, I have more than one jacket. :grin:
I have the armband and you do have to get used to it. Funny thing is ive never had a tree rip it off...yet lol...
164136_1254652424336_1770336031_479469_4770715_n.jpg

Prior to the armband I did use the inside holder of my jacket. I just didnt like flipping it up all the time..

When I used to use an arm band, I had issues with it slipping down my arm and (once) off the end of my ski pole without noticing. I quickly adapted to putting it around my leg instead.
That was much easier and I was reminded to take it off when I took my boots off, then I'd tuck it into a boot and have it handy for the next ski outing.

Cornhead

My season's pass lives on my jacket pocket zipper pull attached with a key ring. When things warm up, I usually move it to my pants so I can wear what I want on top. I inevitably leave it home at least once in the Spring when I wear a different pair of pants than the ones I last skied in. When I ski somewhere other than my home hill, I like attaching the wicket on my main zipper pull, just because I like being slapped in the face.:wink: JK, I stopped my Brother from making this mistake this year.

I've only lost one season's pass. It was this year at Hunter. I had the pass attached to my pants. I did intentionally cut in front of someone who had cut me off earlier on my run. I may have ripped it off then, the key ring was still attached to my pants. I was afraid he was going to "hunt" me down with the info on my pass. Or it just got stuck on the chair and ripped off, and I didn't notice.

I used to have one of the armband thingies, it always ended up on the floor of the lodge when I took my jacket off.

steamboat1

Been using the same arm band for years. It has an adjustable strap on it so you loosen it for when your wearing a heavy jacket or tighten it when wearing lighter clothes. Never had a problem with it sliding down my arm. The ticket checkers seem to like it since they don't have to go low to scan the pass. At the end of the day I just take it off & put it in my inside jacket pocket so I never don't have it with me unless I forget my jacket in which case I'd be to cold to ski anyway.

I've used the lanyard when skiing places with the RFID pass because I usually don't have an empty pocket to keep it in. Keys, lighters & change in one pocket & my wallet in the other. It's a pain since I've only used it on warm days not wearing a jacket. The thing fly's to your backside & then you have to fuss to find it every time you load the lift.

When purchasing a regular lift ticket I usually put on one of the zipper pockets on my ski pants.

Last edited:

Mpdsnowman

I use the lanyard for resorts with the RFD that doesn't require that you get it out.
Makes it easy to take it off and put in my boot bag, where it lives, so I don't forget it in a jacket pocket when I change jackets. Yes, I have more than one jacket. :grin:

When I used to use an arm band, I had issues with it slipping down my arm and (once) off the end of my ski pole without noticing. I quickly adapted to putting it around my leg instead.
That was much easier and I was reminded to take it off when I took my boots off, then I'd tuck it into a boot and have it handy for the next ski outing.

I actually tried it on my leg but the funny thing was it actually sort of kept me off balance. I couldnt get used to it.