• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bode Miller’s Toddler Daughter Drowns

catskills

My heart goes out to the Bode family. It happens so fast and unfortunately it happens more than you think it does.

Here is a true event in my town that maybe others can learn from. A family had a kids birthday pool party. They did the right thing. When there were kids in the pool they had 2 adults watching 100% at all times. Toward the end of the party the kids were told everyone out of the pool. The kids were still around the outside of the pool. No adults were assigned to watch the kids because all the kids were told to stay out of the pool. One of the mothers was an EMT on a volunteer fire department was there with her 14 year old son. The Adults were in the house now. Kids outside near pool. EMT mothers 14 year old boy saw a 6 year old at the bottom of the pool, yelled for his mom, jumped in the pool, scooped up the child and got the unconscious child out of the pool. They called 911, and the EMT did her job as trained for many years and started CPR. She was amazed how much water kept coming out of the child. CPR compression's followed by rolling child to her side to get the water out followed by breaths and back to CPR. After 5 minutes the child started breathing and became conscious. Child went to hospital and made a full recovery. Headlines EMT and 14 year old boy saves child. EMT mothers gets an award at a county EMS award party. The real story is pool deaths and pool close calls happen A LOT.

After opening your pool for this summer here in the northeast think SAFETY FIRST. Do whatever you got to do to make your pool safe.

Again my heart goes out to the Bode family. We can all learn from this.

BE SAFE!!!!

Cornhead

So sad. I'll never forget the time my son was over for my weekend. He must have been 6yrs old or so. He was taking a bath. I jokingly said, "I better go make sure my son hasn't drowned". When I walked into the bathroom I saw my son motionless in a fetal position completely submerged. The water was still above him. I grabbed him an yanked him from the tub. It felt like he didn't weigh an ounce. He was fine, he was just "playing". He's been able to swim since he was 2, going off diving boards and diving to 10ft at 3. Scared the shit out of both of us.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

He's been able to swim since he was 2, going off diving boards and diving to 10ft at 3.

My mother has a lifelong fear of deep water, so she made all her kids learn to swim at a very young age. So obviously my siblings and I don't have that fear, but it just seems to make safety sense to teach your kids how to swim when they're really young like that. I've even heard there are programs where they toss babies into pools? I dont know how that works, but I definitely think by 2 it's a good time to teach them.

Cornhead

My mother has a lifelong fear of deep water, so she made all her kids learn to swim at a very young age. So obviously my siblings and I don't have that fear, but it just seems to make safety sense to teach your kids how to swim when they're really young like that. I've even heard there are programs where they toss babies into pools? I dont know how that works, but I definitely think by 2 it's a good time to teach them.
I think I taught him so young because when I was 6 my dad took me to the boy's club for lessons. They threw you in the deep end and poked a pole at you. I guess it worked, but swimming is so much easier when you're relaxed. They had empty Clorox bottles at the Y. My kid would tool around the whole pool holding himself up grabbing the handles of 2 bottles. He never had any fear of the deep end even before he could swim. I got him a pair of Junior goggles, and he would swim about 10ft to the steps in the shallow end. One day his eyes broke the surface, then his face, that was it. Asking him if he remembers learning to swim would be like asking him if he remembers learning to walk. We had an above ground pool when I was married. It was nice to know he could swim at such a young age.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
My heart goes out to the whole family.

I cannot fathom the pain they must be feeling.