• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need VT skiing advice

mccleaks

So I bought one of those Fox 44 cards at the beginning of the year and now I need to use it. Right now I have only used 1 day at Jay on it. I'll squeeze in a day at Cannon sometime next week, so I figure if I head to VT and hit 2 mountains this weekend I will be getting my moneys worth. Problem is that I have never skied the majority of these mountains. So I have no clue which ones to choose.

I'm looking for advice for the best 2 of the list or the easiest combination of 2. Plan is to just grab a cheap hotel somewhere in between whatever mountains I decide to hit. They all seem to be somewhat comparable drives, so I'm up for whatever.

Here are my options: Middlebury Snow Bowl, Burke, Bolton Valley, Mad River, Suicide Six, and Smuggs. I'm counting out Whiteface, Gore, Titus, and Owl's Head due to driving distance/border crossings/my experience at the NY mountains while in college.

If anyone who is a VT regular has some advice on which are the best mountains, which might have the best conditions, which have cheap accommodations, etc. I would really appreciate your help. Really any general advice on these mountains, lodging ideas, and things to do in the area are all appreciated.

Thanks

VTKilarney

I'm not sure when you are going, but this time of year snow retention is going to matter. Suicide Six is closed, if SnowCountry is to be believed.

I would probably go for Smuggs and Bolton Valley.

xwhaler

Closest options for a quick 2 day trip would be Middlebury paired with MRG I think.
Stay at the HydeaWay...nice bar/food and they have some cheap midweek rooms.
Catsup948 and I hit up BV/MRG/Middlebury a couple wknds ago and bunked at the Hydeaway.
Middlebury closes up shop this Sunday so get there quick. BV is also good---Smuggs is the best mtn on the card IMHO.
S6 is closed for the season. Buke+Cannon would be another combo to avoid long drives between the 2. Stay at Comfort Inn in St J in between.

Have Fun!

Savemeasammy

It sounds as though you may ski this weekend, and then not use the card after that...? If so, make a point of getting to Smuggs. I'm not sure how the ungroomed and off trail stuff will be. MRG is also great, but you really want the woods/ungroomed there. It still might be worth getting there if your season is done after this.

Can you put it off for a weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mccleaks

It sounds as though you may ski this weekend, and then not use the card after that...? If so, make a point of getting to Smuggs. I'm not sure how the ungroomed and off trail stuff will be. MRG is also great, but you really want the woods/ungroomed there. It still might be worth getting there if your season is done after this.

Can you put it off for a weekend?

The way I see it, I basically have this weekend and next weekend to get some use out of this thing before a lot of places start to shut down. I'm heading to Sugarloaf for Reggae the weekend of 4/11-4/12, so I figure after that it will be slim pickings for open mountains. I also have a Ragged voucher to use up which will either be a sick day or one of these next 2 weekends paired with Cannon.

Mad River is the only one of these VT mountains that I have ever skied and frankly with the rain forcasted for tomorrow, I'm afraid things might be a little thin there. Could always break out the old beater skis though I suppose.

Savemeasammy

The way I see it, I basically have this weekend and next weekend to get some use out of this thing before a lot of places start to shut down.

Gotcha. In that case, I would roll the dice and hope for good weather on Easter weekend and hit Smuggs/MRG then. Maybe use ragged this weekend? Hopefully things work out however you decide to go about it.

Savemeasammy

Of course if the forecast ends up being snow in n vt, you should be good!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like the sound of this. I have enough Marriott rewards points to stay there for free.

Check the categories. One is lower, so less points. I've only stayed at the Fairfield for work. It's kind of crappy as far as Fairfields go, but an easy walk to a beer bar.

I've only gotten in on the Rewards program this year, but plan on using it for VT trips next winter. Wish the Residence inn in N Conway wasn't a category 6.

Brad J

I really liked Burke and would not want to miss MRG , they all will need above freezing temps or snow to be great, I also wanted to do BV put am running out of time. Wife pressure is being turned up for house projects and northern Vt is a very long day trip

ThinkSnow

Good choice, but I'd lodge in Williston at the Residence inn or Fairfield. Easier commute to Smuggs.

True, however if staying in Waterbury, there are some fantastic restaurants/pubs all within 1 block of each other: The Reservoir, Blackback Pub, Bluestone and Prohibition Pig.

deadheadskier

Staff member
True, however if staying in Waterbury, there are some fantastic restaurants/pubs all within 1 block of each other: The Reservoir, Blackback Pub, Bluestone and Prohibition Pig.

I'm aware. I lived in Stowe and Burlington for a long time and visit the area often.

Still a pain in the ass to get to Smuggs from Waterbury.

And Williston is right next to Burlington if restaurants are important to the OP. There's a decent bar walking distance from the hotels I recommended as well.

mccleaks

I'm aware. I lived in Stowe and Burlington for a long time and visit the area often.

Still a pain in the ass to get to Smuggs from Waterbury.

And Williston is right next to Burlington if restaurants are important to the OP. There's a decent bar walking distance from the hotels I recommended as well.
Looking like I'm gonna go with one of the hotels in Williston as I have some options there with my Marriott points. Also of note for anyone that happens to be reading this with similar plans, Bolton Valley is offering rooms in the Hotel at their base area for $87/night.
http://irm.boltonvalley.com/irmnet/...&People1=2&_ga=1.32241594.50150205.1427292451

rocks860

Pretty sure I stayed in that hotel at the base back in like 1997 when we went up for a school ski trip