• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Maple Valley, VT potentially reborn???

deadheadskier

Staff member
or perhaps a joker over on the nelsap message board

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic13761&start=2

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic14413

Found myself checking out nelsap a bit tonight after my drive home from work up in the Mount Washington Valley. What peaked my interest was driving by Mount Wittier and thinking the old Gondola line might be cool to hike and ski this winter if >>> NO NO NO IT IS <<<WHEN>>> we get enough snow.

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/mtwhit1.html

Fixed it for ya.

thebigo

looks like the cat skiing may have come and gone

mentioned on wiki:

Though the ski area has been closed since 1985, its lifts and trails are still visible from Route 16. A business named Mount Madness Adventure Center was started in the base area of Mt. Whittier. There have been various attempts at restarting snowsports, including snow tubing, snowcat skiing, and snowmobile racing.

but nowhere on mountain madness:

http://www.mountmadness.com/

loafer89

It's funny that this topic should be posted to remind me that I completely forgot about the pictures that I took of Maple Valley last saturday on the way home from Stratton:dunce:

My son has an intense fascination with all ski areas great and small and I nearly made it past Maple Valley before eagle eyes spotted the abandoned trails and lifts:x so I had to stop on the way back:x:x:x:lol::

Maple Valley, November 29th, 2008:

On Deck trail with the T-bar:

OnDecktrailandT-bar.jpg

North Chair (a Hall double):

NorthChair.jpg

Waiting for a ride that will never come:

FirstChair.jpg

Drive motor of North Chair:

NorthChairdrive.jpg

Last edited:

loafer89

Funny warning sign:

NorthChairWarning.jpg

Nature fast reclaiming the South Chair and the Narrow Gauge trail:

SouthChairlift.jpg

Abandoned snowcat:

Abandonedsnowcat.jpg

Last edited:

loafer89

The base elevation of the mountain is really low at 295' and the location of the West River right across from the base makes things warmer with a large body of water. Snowmaking would be very costly and be necessary to provide a season of any great length.

When we left Stratton there was about 2-4" of natural snow on the ground and a temperature of 32F. Arriving at Maple valley it was 40F with green grass.

loafer89

I think that ski area is dead and probably should remain that way. At the condition that it's in right now you would probably have to invest as much as they are asking for the mountain (2.5 million) at a minimum.

The baselodge decking is ready to cave in, the trails are starting to become overgrown, the chairlifts are rusting and have not moved in nearly 10 years and the snowmkaing system probably needs to be replaced.

With the current economy, reopening an abandoned ski area is probably not the best investment. Good luck getting financing if you need it.

Glenn

Isn't that place partially off the grid as well? I thought I remembered reading they used some diesel generators to give the place enough juice. Running the correct amount of power in apparently was an issue. I'm not 100% on this.

It's a shame to see the area slowly slip away. I can remember driving to and from Stratton when Maple Valley was still operational.

Great pics loafer! Maybe I can get a deal on that snowcat....

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was going to say that the owner is asking waaaaaaaaayyyyy too much money for the place.

deadheadskier

Staff member
One reason I'd love to see Maple Valley re-open is to have an affordable feeder hill in that part of Vermont. For all that is great about Vermont skiing, if there's one thing that is definitely lacking, it's affordable feeder hills. Outside of Cochran and Middlebury Snow Bowl, there really aren't any options.

At least with the re-birth of Granite Gorge and Whaleback there are a couple of options near the eastern central and southern parts of the state.

nelsapbm

I think it's pretty safe to say that it is some kid with a little too much time on their hands and/or someone's school project. There is NO WAY the place could be up and running this year. The place needs a complete overhall - lifts, facilities, equipment, etc. Not to mention the permitting process it will most likely need to go through.
That said, I agree with you deadheadskier - would love to see the place back open. We need feeder hills like this. Not holding my breath though. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks for the pics Loafer. It always saddens me to see rusting, idle chair lifts. :( Unfortunately I don't think that place will ever open back up again... There's certainly no chance in hell that it would be able to open this year.

loafer89

Thanks for the pics Loafer. It always saddens me to see rusting, idle chair lifts. :( Unfortunately I don't think that place will ever open back up again... There's certainly no chance in hell that it would be able to open this year.

No problem, I will be skiing at Stratton tomorrow and I want to take a hike up the trails at Maple Valley with my son if time allows to get a better look at the mountain.

I would say that to reopen the mountain would entail a year to refurbish the lodge, modernize the snowmaking system, clear out trail overgrowth and probably involve replacing the chairlifts.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
I'm actually surprised the drive terminals look as good as they do after sitting unused for that long. I'm sure it would cost more than it's worth to get them in working order again though. Aside from drive terminals I imagine the haul ropes are in rough shape and the sheave assemblies are probably shot. Not to even mention the return terminals or the wiring for the controls/safety circuits that the local rodents have probably made a mess out of.