• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

X-mas warm-up....

tnt1234

How bad is it gonna be?

MRG guy talking about some rain around the 25, and more toward's NYE. Ugh.

Experienced forum members, your thoughts?

Tin

Hope everyone enjoyed early December! For precip...warm up with a couple of cutter chances. Maybe a couple inches in NVT and the Whites Thursday and a slim chance for a NNE event the 26th but that is about it as far as winter goes. We can hope the GFS north/west bias is on again as it has been for multiple systems this year. The NAM and RGEM have been very good but they only go inside a couple days+ out.

Long term I'm not exactly digging things the next few weeks but the cold is close by in eastern Canada.
Rest up for 2017!

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Well, things are bulletproof now. Only way skiing can be good with this snow is warm temps and sunshine. 40 degrees and bluebird skies. Keeps the masses entertained and the hills busy.

4aprice

Hope everyone enjoyed early December! For precip...warm up with a couple of cutter chances. Maybe a couple inches in NVT and the Whites Thursday and a slim chance for a NNE event the 26th but that is about it as far as winter goes. We can hope the GFS north/west bias is on again as it has been for multiple systems this year. The NAM and RGEM have been very good but they only go inside a couple days+ out.

Long term I'm not exactly digging things the next few weeks but the cold is close by in eastern Canada.
Rest up for 2017!

I expect it will be a warm (not necessarily blowtorch) for the holidays, little natural, but good snowmaking nights. Cold will be advertised for early January by the models 7 days out but won't actually show up till late January, so terrain expansion will be slow and people will have to stay away from the ledge. Then snow and probably some more numbing cold before finally settling in for a rather pleasant final 6 to 8 weeks of the season. In other words a typical northeast season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Wow sounds like the refreezing hardened all the good stuff on the trails. That is unfortunate since once snow fall or new manmade covers it this will produce scraped off conditions early in the day for a while unless there is sustained cold.

The thaw always seems to hit around Xmas into the new year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

Josh Fox on twitter suggesting arctic air might thwart the first warm up, but probably not the second. Tim Kelley likewise thinks we skate it, and good conditions will exist for X-mas, but doesn't go beyond that on STE update.

Dang...we're skiing right after the second potential thaw/rain....and then it looks to be single digits...

But weather.com doesn't look bad long term. I know it's a long way out, but just holding on to hope.

Tin

Aren't there apps we can use to track Tins whereabouts?

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app

Amherst currently, last final exam today! I've relied heavily on the hi res NAM/RGEM models thus far this year for all those snow days but Pico was a complete surprise.

Sneaky good?

Not buying into it yet but the NAM hi res models have been bullet proof so far this year and AMAZING at forecasting upslope/LES/ and elevation events. Been showing this type of scenario for 6+ runs, it has cut back snow amounts a little.

Most models say it is too weak and does not have much moisture associated with it, but all suggest it has the concoction after it passes to result in blower some mountain snow. Wait and see...

6z 3k.jpg

Last edited:

tnt1234

What does your Magic Weather Machine say about tnt's 3 days at SB/MRG over NYE?

Edd

No clue. Ask, yeggous he is the expert on all things weather.

I was asking him his opinion about the best weather app recently and he recommended simply going to Weather.gov. They must have an app, I thought. Looks like they don't. In fact, they recommend on their mobile site that you simply bookmark their site by adding it to your smartphone home screen like some kind of Amish person. However, it does appear to save the places you look up when you return to the site so it may be more user friendly than I initially thought.

Savemeasammy

...they recommend on their mobile site that you simply bookmark their site by adding it to your smartphone home screen like some kind of Amish person.

Edd delivers. Good one 😀

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ScottySkis

So what think tommorow Albert clipper will be more snow in Vermont south then Mountain sniw vs Hunter in Catskills.

slatham

Some light snow Thursday and again Saturday. Nothing too significant (1-3" each) but will help resurface from last Sundays mess.

Monday night is non-frozen but looks to be quick, not too heavy, and right now mostly overnight.

Late next week storm is trending colder.

Overall warmer than normal but its late December so it can still end up cold enough and white!

slatham

Actually the 12z euro for late next week just put a big smile on my face. But I am back down to earth as I count how many days away that is and remember my rule of late - believe no forecast that is more than 5 days.

But a guy can dream........