• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skinnies/Log Rides

Greg

Staff member
Cleaned my first full log ride yesterday. A really short one on the 69er at Nass. Took a few tries. I was having no trouble getting up on the log, but I would get nervous and look down. Bad! The key is just looking ahead once you get the bike up there and pedal straight and smooth. Fun stuff, but nerve-racking for a wimp like me.

bvibert

Staff member
That log is on my short list of things to complete. I've gotten up on it a couple of times, even got my front tire about half way, but like you, I freak and look down

Greg

Staff member
That log is on my short list of things to complete. I've gotten up on it a couple of times, even got my front tire about half way, but like you, I freak and look down

Scott cleared it and then he was ahead of where I was riding to. When he saw that I got on it, he calmly said, "now look at me." Once I got it, it felt so easy. Just a mind f@Ck.

bvibert

Staff member
Which direction did you ride it? The direction you were going? I've only tried it in the direction heading north.

Greg

Staff member
Which direction did you ride it? The direction you were going? I've only tried it in the direction heading north.

I rode it southbound. The approach seemed easier that way, but I never really gave it a serious attempt going north.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Log rides are a total head game. Ride along a line on the pavement and you can stay on a 3 inch wide line for 50-60 feet...get on a 8 inch wide log and it feels like a tight rope. You have to commit. Having a good wheelie drop helps because you know if you start to fall off, you can at least land on the bike....

jdconsequences.jpeg

bvibert

Staff member
Honestly, I don't know if I could stay on a 3 inch line on the pavement for 50 or 60 feet.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Well, I guess you could always give that a shot.....no much consequence there...
The only limits are the ones we place on ourselves.

bvibert

Staff member
Well, I guess you could always give that a shot.....no much consequence there...
The only limits are the ones we place on ourselves.

You are absolutely correct. Starting with trying to follow a line on the road is probably more my speed anyway. :lol:

My wussy brain is good at putting limits on myself... :( Sometimes I gotta tell that bastard to STFU.

Greg

Staff member
I wasn't feeling these little log rides today. Total mental game, and we're talking logs that are laughable by most standards...

bvibert

Staff member
I was psyched to get that one a couple of times today. :beer:

Photo-0035.jpg

I was thinking it was my first skinny, but then I remembered that I rode that longish 2x6 swamp crossing at the res last year. This was the first time riding a log like that though. :D

Trev

Southbound I found easier.. done that a couple of times...

Northbound I get messed up on the mounting of the log.. /shrug

Total noob to riding though.. /shrug..

bvibert

Staff member
Skinnies still make me nervous. I think part of if it is my inability to do wheelie drops, which seem essential on some to get off if you get in trouble. The other part of it is that I have no balance. I can do some short ones if I'm going fast enough (which means more likely hood of getting hurt if something goes wrong). But I really need to work on my balance for doing low speed maneuvers...

I've ridden the trail that has the short on pictured above twice this year (southbound), and both times I just rode right up on the skinny and kept going just like it was part of the trail. So I guess I'm getting a little better. ;)

prophet0426

Long rides always freak me out. Need to unplug the head to get it right. There is one log ride at NAM that I have olny cleared once, and tried about 30 times. It freaks me out becasue it start at ground level but then elevates to about 4' off the ground, but the hard part is that it has a turn about half way through. So great now you build your confidence for the long ride, and then there is a turn..... Just keep riding it and you will nail it with out even thinking about it, and when you do you will start doing it with the flow of the trail that make it even better!!!

MR. evil

Long rides always freak me out. Need to unplug the head to get it right. There is one log ride at NAM that I have olny cleared once, and tried about 30 times. It freaks me out becasue it start at ground level but then elevates to about 4' off the ground, but the hard part is that it has a turn about half way through. So great now you build your confidence for the long ride, and then there is a turn..... Just keep riding it and you will nail it with out even thinking about it, and when you do you will start doing it with the flow of the trail that make it even better!!!

Is that the REALLY long one you ride about 50 plus feet, slight turn right onto another log ride 50 plus feet long to a small drop? First time I rode that I feel off at the high point on the 1st segmant. Landed right on my face...lucky I was wearing a full face helmet that day. Re-grouped and then cleaned the first half. After the fall I knew if I didn't try again right away, it would get in my head and be much harder the next time.

I have since been back and done both parts of that log ride.

prophet0426

Yeah that's the one. Thankfully all the times I have fallen have been off to the sides on my feet or knees. I haven't ridden it for about a year becasue I always psych myself out prior to getting there. Might try it again soon though.
If you haven;t been there lately I highly recommend it as nemba has been putting in a lot of work and have made some really sweet new sections. If you head up there let me know and I'll try and join you for a ride since i live in Medway right next door.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I can handle a drop of up to 2 - 3' but I don't think I've ever had a real great log ride. I'd like to practice this some more thought for sure.

MR. evil

I can handle a drop of up to 2 - 3' but I don't think I've ever had a real great log ride. I'd like to practice this some more thought for sure.

you want some practice riding logs, and skinnies? Lets do an AZ mtb ride at Millers Pond near Middle Town CT. Literally about 100 skinnies / log rides. Good place to practice :)

If you ever want to fool around with us at Case Mt let me know. Ride there quite a bit and know where all the fun stuff ti ride up, down and off is :daffy:

Here is some footage of us last fall at Case. There is a sizable elevated log ride in the vid. Was the first time I ever tried it, and it took me about 20 tries to clean it. Now I can do it first or second try everytime.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Awesome riding. I can do bunny hopping pretty well, but how do you do that back wheel hop? i never could get that down. Argh.