• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GoPros

bvibert

Staff member
I haven't been following all the recent GoPro models, but from a quick glance at the comparison on the website it looks like the 3 would be more than adequate, unless you plan on making production quality videos. That said I always try to buy the highest model I can afford, because when I don't I'm always disappointed... ;) The 3+ has more megapixels, fps, and FOV options. Unless you're talking about the 3+ Black Edition, which adds 4K video, other resolutions, and a bunch more options.

mriceyman

The 3 is really awesome with wifi..i have the app on my iphone and can watch/record/send vids or pics right from my phone. Cant wait to use it this year.

Sent from my iPhone

wa-loaf

Some BestBuy's have the have the GoPro 3 black edition for $250 ... in store pick-up only.

dlague

One key aspect is megapixels for photos if you want to enlarge the photo otherwise barely distinguishable

Another key aspect frames per second - the Black Ed. can go up to 60 FPS which allows you to grab stills from video with no bluring.

Black has better low light video and photo.

these are a few examples

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm thinking about a 3+ to upgrade my 2. I also use it for non-skiing stuff like wedding videos and baby videos and blah blah blah.

If I were strictly using it for skiing, a 3 is more than enough as they all perform really well in good lighting conditions

crank

seems to me like the main difference is in the still shooting capabilities so if you want it for video why pay more? Also, Stills made from HD video are still way lower resolution that a still shot as a still. They are OK for the web but not really great for printing...not that anyone prints photos anymore.

bvibert

Staff member
Some BestBuy's have the have the GoPro 3 black edition for $250 ... in store pick-up only.

Sounds like a good deal, I would go for it. I couldn't find too much online, but what I could find looks like the 3 BE is pretty comparable to the 3+ BE.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
seems to me like the main difference is in the still shooting capabilities so if you want it for video why pay more? Also, Stills made from HD video are still way lower resolution that a still shot as a still. They are OK for the web but not really great for printing...not that anyone prints photos anymore.

Even for printing they are OK as long as they are limited in size like a 5x7. The problem with video is that it normally has some "blur" which is OK in video because between frames the blur makes thigns look smoother and the frame to frame transition better. But if you are just capturing one video frame then the blur can be annoying, especially with action sports where you want a fast shutter speed to "freeze" the action.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Here is a cool comparison video showing how far they have come from the Hero2 for low light capture.

This comparison makes me think that if you plan on using the GoPro for skiing, that the low light, heavy overcast days would turn out much better with the GoPro 3+. I have an original GoPro and the Low light performance was not very good. Maybe someday I'll get a new/better one.

wa-loaf

Sounds like a good deal, I would go for it. I couldn't find too much online, but what I could find looks like the 3 BE is pretty comparable to the 3+ BE.

Sold out before I could get one. Guess I'll wait.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
$100

Polaroid HD Camera

511VRT0EcqL_SL1500_.jpg

wa-loaf

I didn't know Polaroid still existed as a company. Did someone just buy the name?

Sky

I think heir building on 128 is being refurbished. It looked like a decommision project for a long while, but I seem to recall a huge banner "POLAROID" the last time I passed it. I was just talking to my son about Kodak and Polaroid...and how hey missed the boat.

Polaroid making a comeback would be interesting.

www.polaroid.com Alive and ... well? We shall see.

wa-loaf

Here is video I shoot w/ Polaroid XS100

Reading the Amazon reviews it seems a lot of people have trouble with the software. Even the positive reviews mentioned it was pretty difficult to deal with.

jchia1229

Reading the Amazon reviews it seems a lot of people have trouble with the software. Even the positive reviews mentioned it was pretty difficult to deal with.

Only on Mac where you have to write the .exe file to the SDcard first before insert into the polaroid camera then make the connection to your Mac; on PC, just insert the SDcard into the camera and connect to PC, it will auto writes the .exe file onto the SDcard. The only things is that to change any settings on your camera, you will need to make a connection to your computer. Except for HD(720)/FHD(1080), which there is a clip for it.