• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Parking lot Shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morwax

Maybe more of a rant or pet peave than an actual problem.. Huge parking lot right in front of the only high speed quad to the top. Get up early to make some fresh turns. They stack the rows perpendicular to the lift so even if the lot is only a couple rows of cars you may end up at the far end of the row maybe 500 yards from the lift base. What happened to first come first serve? Someone that shows up 15 minutes after me is parking right next to the lift and im forced (by the lot nazis) to park way the &^%$ over there. Yes I boot up at the car and really dont want to walk the extra 500 yards on gravel with my ski boots. When people circumvent the lot gestapo they come running over for a good talking to.. What gives Gunstock?

Morwax

Good thinkin Billski, I've used the bad knee story which really isnt a story

abc

Perhaps you should write to the mountain's management. Just a short note might work quite effectively.

Morwax

Im thinking about all the mountains ive been too and it is usually first come first serve. Or they at least stack you up nearest the hill but being immediately directed to the far end of the empty lot seems a bit premature, what if that many people dont even show up? Any other mountains doing this?

Edd

I feel for ski areas managing weekend crowds. Parking space at Gunstock is tough on the weekends.

Morwax

I feel for ski areas managing weekend crowds. Parking space at Gunstock is tough on the weekends.
Nope.. this is happening weekdays, I dont go near the place on weekends as they are parking WAY beyond the enjoyable capacity of that mountain. Bussing them in from the campground and old alpine ridge side. I have no problem with "managing" keeping the cars tight and in a line.. BUT four guys waving furiously to park over there by the pond when Im not there for paddleboating is STUPID!

podunk77

This happened to me a couple times at Sunapee (I'm one to put my boots on at the car too). I'd be in sight of the parking lot and I knew they were going to put me at the end of a row where I'd be far from the lifts, whereas people arriving after me would be put in a new row right beside the beginner's area (whose chairlift you can take and then ski over to the summit lift). I'd just pull over to the side of the rode, out of reach of the parking nazis, and wait for the new row to start. I'm not familiar enough with Gunstock to know if a similar move would work there.

Morwax

This happened to me a couple times at Sunapee (I'm one to put my boots on at the car too). I'd be in sight of the parking lot and I knew they were going to put me at the end of a row where I'd be far from the lifts, whereas people arriving after me would be put in a new row right beside the beginner's area (whose chairlift you can take and then ski over to the summit lift). I'd just pull over to the side of the rode, out of reach of the parking nazis, and wait for the new row to start. I'm not familiar enough with Gunstock to know if a similar move would work there.
Yes we usually finagle a spot up close but not without some herrassment which ive had just about enough of. Last interaction wasn't pretty.. Im not going to the hill for this kind of negative BS

SkiingInABlueDream

Some people just see everything as complaining.. instead of speaking up so maybe things change for the better..GFY

Depends. It's whining to the observer who doesn't give a crap, and a valid point to one who agrees with the complaint.
Personally I symathize with your original point. I'd've been annoyed too.
But I still laughed at the snot faced baby.:D

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Take it up with management if you have a problem. Don't blame the lot attendants. You wouldn't believe how much of a pain it is to work on the parking crew... those guys have to deal with more disrespect and BS than anyone working at a resort.

Respect the guys parking you, do as they ask, and then take it up with the appropriate powers if you have a problem. Those guys are just doing what they're instructed.

Morwax

Take it up with management if you have a problem. Don't blame the lot attendants. You wouldn't believe how much of a pain it is to work on the parking crew... those guys have to deal with more disrespect and BS than anyone working at a resort.

Respect the guys parking you, do as they ask, and then take it up with the appropriate powers if you have a problem. Those guys are just doing what they're instructed.
Dont get me wrong, I get that its a shit job but I dont see why they can not relay a message. Never said I yelled at the parkies or anything but they sure as hell get in your face when you dont park way over the other side of the lot :sad:

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Dont get me wrong, I get that its a shit job but I dont see why they can not relay a message. Never said I yelled at the parkies or anything but they sure as hell get in your face when you dont park way over the other side of the lot :sad:

Just asking you to see it from their angle, and do your best to treat them well and follow their instructions. They have a boss who has told them how to park the lot. Their job is to park the lot according to the map/plan laid out for them. If people don't follow their directions, the responsibility for the condition of the lot is still on their shoulders.

If you have a problem with the layout of the lot, just go to the ticket window or guest service desk and ask to speak with a member of the base area management staff and present your thoughts. You never know... maybe they never thought of parking the rows in the other direction! Or maybe they actually have a very good reason for why they do it the way the do, which may not be immediately obvious to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.