• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rocky Mountain Triathlon - July 28, 2013 Silverthorne, CO

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Completed the Worlds' Highest Triathlon yesterday! Short TR for right now. I'll post pictures later!

Saturday from 12-5 was packet pick up. I went over right around 12:30 to pick up my packet (race number, shirt, bag, goodies, etc). I did open swim and swam what I thought the course was going to be. I later learned that they had the far buoys for the 400m swim too far out so probably my practice swim the day before the race was double what I had to swim. After the swim, Jimmy and I drove the bike course to get another feel for the turn around and then I hopped on my bike and biked the run course. After that we listened to a short briefing for the next day and then went home. I had a nice chicken salad for dinner and was in bed by 11.

Sunday morning: My alarm went off around 5:30AM. I immediately heard the rain on the windows outside and thought I am going to freeze in this swim. I thought I would feel more anxious but I felt pretty calm when I first got up. I had packed my bag the night before with all my additional warm weather gear in case it rained so I was prepared to just get up and go. I had some breakfast (half a banana and half an english muffin with almond butter and some coffee), loaded up the truck with my bike and we were off. We got to Silverthorne right around 6:15 and parked. I immediately grabbed my bike and went over to thet transition area to get my spot. I picked a spot closer to Bike Out so I wouldn't have to run so far in my clipless shoes.

After I got my transition area set up, we had about an hour to kill so we just walked around checking out the course and doing a little people watching. At 7:50 they closed transition and we all headed over to the beach area to start the race. Nathional Anthem at 7:55 and the Men's Sprint gun went off right at 8AM. I was in the women's sprint so we started 2nd (about 3-4 minutes after the first wave). After the men took off we all waded in the water (in water start). I think I was one of the only ones not wearing a wetsuit but the water really wasn't that cold (prob 69 degrees). I waded out a litte further and was treading water for the final minute before our gun went off. When our gun went off I just started swimming. I had NO idea where I was in terms of placement. There were so many people and it was really chaotic it seemed. I was able to keep my composure and was able to swim the entire time with no real issues; only bumped into a couple people once or twice but no black eyes! :)

I swam as far as I could onto the shore (it was really rocky) and got up and just started sprinting to my transition. I had a really good support crew that was cheering me on for every section. I got to my bike, dried off briefly, put on some running capris and a wind breaker (it was still very overcast and somewhat rainy) and my bike shoes and was off! The bike seemed much shorter than when I had previously biked it but I was not complaining about that. I made it back in a good amount of time and had to rack my bike and put on my running sneakers. I ran just in my bathing suit and threw on some running shorts over top. This transition went much faster than my first but my legs felt like jello. I actually don't think I started feeling them until after Mile 1. I strided it out as best I can and when I came to the turn around and I knew I only had 1.5 miles left I turned it on a little more. That person in front of me kept being my next person to pass and or beat and I ended up making a few more passes right before the finish. I pushed myself so hard at the end that when I crossed the finish line I didn't know if I was going to cry or throw up; but I guess that's why they call it a Sprint Triathlon!

Afterwards, they had 5 kegs of Sam Adams and unlimited number of beers for the athletes. (i thought that was cool as most races i've been in give you one free one and then that's it), so to say the least I did my part to help finish these kegs. :beer:

around 12:30 I think they did the awards for the Sprint Tri. I ended up placing 13th overall in the Sprint, 3rd overall for the women's and first in my age group! I was pleased for my first Tri and I think I will be doing them a lot more! I have a lot to work on, but it was a lot, a lot of fun and I'm so happy that I did it. For winning 3rd overall I was able to take podium, got a sweet pint glass and a MASSIVE bottle of Tuaca that has a pretty cool Rocky Mountain Triathlon Winner sticker on it. Now I need to find some imaginative way to use the bottle after it's kicked. Anyways, all in all a really good event, they did a great job I thought and everything seemed to flow smoothly. Check out my results below, and I'll post pictures later!
[h=2]Female Open Winners[/h]
Overall ------------ Swim ------------T1------------ Bike ------------T2------------ Run ------------ChipGun
PlacePlaceNameBib NoAgeRnkTimePaceTimeRnkTimeRateTimeRnkTimePaceTimeTime
14Laura Greer1172518:30.10:42.3127:02.626.6MPH0:43.1223:26.87:34/M1:00:25.11:00:25.1
211Robyn Jankoski1582528:53.31:15.4229:10.024.7MPH1:01.0325:04.98:05/M1:05:24.81:05:24.8
313Stefanie Reuter2682739:12.72:20.8329:44.324.2MPH1:31.6122:42.77:19/M1:05:32.31:05:32.3