• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

And it flew away...

Trekchick

We had a bird fly into our window yesterday. I hit so hard I was shocked that the window didn't break.
When I looked outside to take care of the dead bird, it was gone! Flew away!!

But it left the perfect impression of its body on the window, complete with an outline of its beak, wing span, and tail feathers.
How the heck did this bird survive?
398189_10151393224890018_830505017_23051851_2143260802_n.jpg

drjeff

Having a father in law who is by degree an ornithologist, I'm basically not allowed to have any large window in my house that doesn't have some type of window item in it that makes it easier for the birds to see that it's a window and not just air :rolleyes:

legalskier

When I was young I saw a pheasant on the grass next to our house. Beatiful bird- I had never seen one in person before. It took off, heading across the street slowly gaining a bit of altitude. I watched as it banked slightly to the right, heading for a neighbor's house. I started to get nervous. Just then....boom!...it went right though their big kitchen window. I was in total shock. Still remember it like it was yesterday.
:-o

twinplanx

thats an amazing picture. I bet someone would pay good money for that (at least enough to cover the cost of a new window) Best part is the lil' guy shook it off and flew away. Priceless!

Cannonball

I remember seeing something like this. Quick Google search. It's kind of surprising how often an imprint like that happens. They make for beautiful (yet morbid) images...

50405801.bird_imprint.jpg

article-2053615-0E89716200000578-599_634x441.jpg

ctenidae

I worked one summer for the University of Montana doing bird research in northern Arizona (got to live in a tent for 4 months on the Mogollon Rim, so that was cool). One day I was tracking a hermit thrush (smallish brown bird that, as the name implies, likes to hide) trying to find its nest site. After 4 hours of following this bird around, I was pretty sure we were circling in on its nest, and was looking forward to end this overly long track. All of a sudden there was a loud whooshing noise in the woods, and out of nowhere a sharp shinned hawk came swooping in and obliterated the thrush in a spray of feathers. I was so pissed at that hawk. I got to see her a few weeks later, though- we had a crew on that study plot mist netting, and I was checking in on them when they caught the hawk. They are all sharp claws and razor beak- pretty awesome sight. It took four of us to disentangle her and hold her for measurements.

Trekchick

Is the glass chipped at all? That impression is whacky stuff!
The Glass seems to be undamaged, although there was a small feather stuck to it for a few hours.

what is the imprint? Oils on the birds feathers or something?
I wasn't sure what made the imprint was made from. But the answer is in the link you added later in the thread. Thanks for finding that.