• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Needs more hikers.

X-Linked

Website
www.alphabluetech.com
Hey everyone. I use the AZ all the time, especially in the winter for skiing. However, the hiking and backpacking forums seem to be pretty empty most of the year. Is there anyone on here that covers the North East Pennsylvania region of Hiking. I know the North east in general pretty well, but there are always questions and or info that would be nice to share. If anyone has any questions, Basically I have covered most of the Poconos, Appalachian Trail, and many State and National parks in the NJ/PA area. I go out pretty much every weekend if not more often than that, anyone else out here on here?

-Kevin

Mike P.

Most of us are New England & New York bound. I think I have a total of three hikes in PA, all only a couple of hours long. The Pinnacle offered a great view & not too hard to get to from the highway.

Mt. Davis on the other hand..... I should be in PA again this summer, hopefully I can get another hike in when I'm there. We'll use you for information when we get questions.

IMO, we do better in the summer as the majority of the readership are skiers so while the ski community talks skiing all year, they do hike & mountain bike in the off-season.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I've done Deleware Watergap, NJ side, many times and have always enjoyed it. However last year I found some nice spots in NY that I enjoy and have been getting a lot into the Adirondacks this past fall. I'm in NE NJ so, NW NJ or South NYS amounts to about the same thing for me.

tcharron

Hey everyone. I use the AZ all the time, especially in the winter for skiing. However, the hiking and backpacking forums seem to be pretty empty most of the year. Is there anyone on here that covers the North East Pennsylvania region of Hiking. I know the North east in general pretty well, but there are always questions and or info that would be nice to share. If anyone has any questions, Basically I have covered most of the Poconos, Appalachian Trail, and many State and National parks in the NJ/PA area. I go out pretty much every weekend if not more often than that, anyone else out here on here?

-Kevin

Wait, there are hiking forums? :-D

:daffy:

SKIQUATTRO

i tried hiking, just cant get into it...once the weather turns warm and I've hot waxed the skis for the final time, I'm in beach mode...life revolves around wind, tides, swells...sailing, kayaking,surfing, waterskiing and blending frozen cocktails on the beach with the TailGator, its all about the sand and the water.....being inland and in the woods in the summer freaks me out for some reason (no offense to anyone that loves it, we all have our own things) just cant do it....

LongStep

i tried hiking, just cant get into it...once the weather turns warm and I've hot waxed the skis for the final time, I'm in beach mode...life revolves around wind, tides, swells...sailing, kayaking,surfing, waterskiing and blending frozen cocktails on the beach with the TailGator, its all about the sand and the water.....being inland and in the woods in the summer freaks me out for some reason (no offense to anyone that loves it, we all have our own things) just cant do it....

I was starting to get into winter hiking when I realized if i hike more in the winter I will have to ski less. So instead of killing myself in the winter Ill leave the winter to the slopes and the fall and summer to the mountains. Its a nice trade off.

PS alpinezone is greatly apreciated source of information and updates on trips and conditions. There arent to many noob freindly hiking forums out there that have a pretty decent and up to date readership. Thanks AZ lol

LongStep

The beaches on long island are amazing. I lived in east morcihes for 25 years and Cupsogue was one of the most relaxing beutiful beaches I have ever chilled on.

Mike P.

SQ;

I love the beach too, it's just a different style of relaxing, what do you do in the Spring & Fall? Actually saw somewhere, maybe even an old thread here of a hiking group that was walking the tidal areas of LI & the boroughs.

Personally, when hiking, I need views & hopefully some streams near the trails. If I was hiking just in the woods, I doubt I'd be so into it myself.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I'll be back hiking soon, and then plenty of trip reports and pics should arrive. I used to hike all winter, but once I discovered downhill skiing my priorities changed. In the summer, I love hopping on the bicycle, but hiking remains #1.

Bumpsis

I'm of the similar mind as SKIQATTRO. Once I'm done with skiing, I'm off riding waves. Sometimes these two activities will compete. If there is a good swell out there in April, I'm in the ocean.

I do love hiking as well and try to get a few good hikes in spring before the bugs get really bad, but then, once th black flies and mosquitos come out, I cede the ground and don't really come back to hiking until July. Then again, the heat of summer can keep me out unitil the fall and early winter which are my favorite hiking times.

SKIQUATTRO

For me skiing is pretty much over this year,,,,I'm coaching Tball, training for the Half Ironman Providence, and getting my mtn bike stuff ready to roll, the summer is surfing, sailing water skiing etc...my in laws have a house on the beach out in Jamesport on the Peconic Bay (North Fork) so we are out there every weekend, and if we're not there we are at our house up on the Cape (eastham), the fall is mountain biking and prepping for ski season

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Our hiking isn't even trip reportable. Especially now that we'll have a 1 yr old and 3 yr old in tow. But it is something I'd like to get back into. Last year I didn't get to go at all due to a broken foot. The year before, I think we managed 2 hikes due to the logistics of handling them with a 1 year old. I think we can figure it out this year for a few day hikes, though. :D

Greg

Staff member
I've really gotten away from hiking/backpacking the past few years. Been busy with a new house and the kids. I hope to get out some this season.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I like to hike and try to get out several times during the summer. I'm also planning to do some hiking in national parks in the west at the end of the month.

The thing is I don't get as worked up about it as I do skiing. I'm not sure why that is, but I don't find myself checking this part of the forums very often.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the critical component that hiking lacks, which makes me lose interest and not desire to go often, is speed. I appreciate the sense of accomplishment and views from the summit, but I don't 'jones' that.

I'm also more of a beach goer come summer time, which can be a bit of a challenge with how cold the water is up here. This is actually a recent development in my life. I currently do a fair amount of body boarding in the summertime. I'm most interested in learning how to kite surf these days for my off season activity. Hoping to find a place to take a day clinic this summer and see what I think before making the investment in the gear, which is pretty cost prohibitive.

Greg

Staff member
I think the critical component that hiking lacks, which makes me lose interest and not desire to go often, is speed. I appreciate the sense of accomplishment and views from the summit, but I don't 'jones' that.

I can see that. I'm not a speed freak even on skis though. I really enjoy the sense of "peace" you get while hiking once the endorphins kick in. Natural high. There's also nothing like spending a few nights in the backcountry. I used to hike and backpack a lot during my teens and 20's. Need to get back into it. The problem is I cash in so many chips to ski during the winter, it's not an easy thing to pull off.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I can see that. I'm not a speed freak even on skis though. I really enjoy the sense of "peace" you get while hiking once the endorphins kick in. Natural high. There's also nothing like spending a few nights in the backcountry. I used to hike and backpack a lot during my teens and 20's. Need to get back into it. The problem is I cash in so many chips to ski during the winter, it's not an easy thing to pull off.
Wifey doesn't like hiking either? :(

Brian got me into hiking (just like skiing).