• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any New Suggestions?

Greg

Staff member
I've made some pretty good headway on the items here. This is typically a slow time of year for me in terms of site development, so I'm looking for new ideas. Be creative and feel free to suggest anything, no matter how whacky. What additions/improvements would you like to see on AlpineZone.com? Feel free to "think outside the box"...

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Campground profiles, akin to the ski resort profiles

Suggested hikes resource:
-user picks area (presidentials, pemi, franconia, greens, Berks, etc.) and difficulty, possible hikes returned.

Link to high altitude forecasts, if there aren't already.

-T

Greg

Staff member
Excellent! Awesome ideas, the8re! These would be some great ways to expand the Hiking section. I will create a separate thread about the Campground profiles to get some feedback on what should be included there. I know we talked about this offline, and your wonderful ski resort profile script could be easily scaled to do campgrounds. Thanks again for your work on that - it's proven invaluable!

I love the suggested hikes resource too. Perhaps they can be split into dayhike, basecamp, or backpack categories. Now if I can only get folks to write some up! Perhaps, I'll start a thread on that too!

Thanks. Any other ideas, anyone?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Ergh. Hate to be negative, but I don't like the arrangement of the new user status (trailee, ridge runner, moderator, etc.) icons.

The problem is that they're in a box, then below them is one line of text, then below that the box around the avatar. This looks awkward and doesn't flow.

Can you rearrange the layout?

CORRECTION: this only applies to Moderator and Administrator types, which print between the boxes.

Greg

Staff member
MichaelJ said:
Ergh. Hate to be negative, but I don't like the arrangement of the new user status (trailee, ridge runner, moderator, etc.) icons.

The problem is that they're in a box, then below them is one line of text, then below that the box around the avatar. This looks awkward and doesn't flow.

Can you rearrange the layout?

CORRECTION: this only applies to Moderator and Administrator types, which print between the boxes.
I don't like them either. ;) I'm experimenting. Don't worry, I'll come up with something better soon. I just felt it was time to replace the snowflakes and I'd like to do something related to the logo. Thanks for the feedback!

Greg

Staff member
You like?

0_azpeak.gif

1_azpeak.gif

2_azpeak.gif

3_azpeak.gif

4_azpeak.gif

5_azpeak.gif

mod_azpeak.gif

admin_azpeak.gif

Greg

Staff member
the8re said:
Moderator should be green in keeping with the status colors at the bottom of the main page. :roll:

I know... I'm being picky...
Details. Details! ;)

mod_azpeak.gif

Seriously though. Good feedback. And I'm as picky as they come, so I appreciate it!

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
The Flatlander icon rocks!
:lol: If anything it should inspire to post more...

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Exactly. It looks pathetic. Poor newbie. :lol:
Slight improvement. At least, now you can tell it's just a grayed out logo. The rank images now also have a cleaner, more rounded feel.

SilentCal

I like the new layout. You asked for a bizarre ideas, how about adding a "flagbearer" type icon for those that take part in the Flags on the 48 event? It will let posters know a little better who is who and maybe be a small badge of honor for newbie's who take part this year. Just a thought..

Greg

Staff member
SilentCal said:
I like the new layout. You asked for a bizarre ideas, how about adding a "flagbearer" type icon for those that take part in the Flags on the 48 event? It will let posters know a little better who is who and maybe be a small badge of honor for newbie's who take part this year. Just a thought..
Hmmm. I could create custom ranks for any FOT48 participants that wants this. Anyone else interested in this?

MtnMagic

Oh, a flag bearing icon for those who take part in the FOT48.
Yes!

Why a blue/gray mtn? It's green (spring) finally!!!

Greg

Staff member
MtnMagic said:
Oh, a flag bearing icon for those who take part in the FOT48.
Yes!
Something like this?

flag_rank.gif

The problem would be administering this. I'll have to manually assign this rank to certain users. There's a mod to assign ranks to usergroups, but I'd like to avoid adding any more mods. This functionality will be part of phpBB 2.2.

MtnMagic said:
Why a blue/gray mtn? It's green (spring) finally!!!
The default AlpineZone logo is the blue one, so I'm going to keep the ranks that color.

SilentCal

I like the flagbearer icon. Would the flag be shaded similar to the way the mountains are according to rank. I think a full bar would be nicer. I don't have the faintest idea of what the mods do or are but whatever makes it easy for you is okay with me.

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Greg-

Could we mod so that the icon appears along the bottom next to the contact info, like the www button? Then we can set it so that clicking on it brings people to the flags website.

It would become an option in the profile. Something like "Include Flags on the 48 button on your posts?" Yes No

-T