• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Classifieds Forum?

Should we create a "Classifieds" forum?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
This thread prompted this. A "Classifieds" forum could be a way of dealing with what some would consider advertising or SPAM, including the promotion other Web sites, services, products, etc. Any such posts could be moved from the original forum to this new "Classifieds" forum. It could also be used for selling used gear or offering services. My feeling is less is more though, and I don't want to create additional forums unless totally necessary. I know Snowjournal has a forum like this and it's dead. I would like to keep the overall number of forums to the absolute minimum required, but if a majority feels this would be useful, I'll consider it.

Regarding external "ads" or promotion: My view has generally been to allow them. I've always taken the approach that as long as the link is on topic, useful, or at least mildly interesting, it's fine. A new "Classifieds" forum would be a single place for these threads, and you can then choose whether or not to look. Threads promoting Web sites or related products or services would need to be Northeast outdoor-specific, or they will be deleted. Another concern is a forum like this would open the door for a bunch of junk to be posted here.

This poll will run for 7 days. Feel free to discuss here. Any other ideas for handling advertising are welcome too. Luckily, we've seen very little so far, but as the board grows, we may see more and more of this. Thoughts?

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
I voted no.

If I want to buy equipment, I'll go to an appropriate site. Whereas 99% of my internet time has some associated advertising, I'm more than happy to have an area where it isn't present.

However, I could be convinved that regular members who have personal equipment to sell (ie, not their leftover inventory from their real life job), I think they should be allowed to post to the appropriate forum (ski or Hike).

While we're on the topic... about those banners Greg... :)

And before you ask, yes, I would donate a little $$$ to not have to see banners on an otherwise informative, interesting, or useful site. I do so with Where's George, but there's some other value-add features there as well.

My $0.02. And it only took 200 clicks to earn. :wink:

-T

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I have to agree with the8re. I see (and hear) enough junk mail and ads all day long. Now if you want to create a forum for board members to post used gear for sale, I would certainly approve of that.

My $0.02
Smitty

Max

I like the idea of trying to sell used gear (a bicycle, kayak, pair of skis, etc) to a fellow enthusiast on the board, and the fact that most of us are from New England gives the potential buyer a chance to check out the merchandise in person. Plus it avoids the hassles of trying to deal with Ebay and shipping. Conversely, I think it should be limited to personal items only and not become a vehicle for a commercial business to hawk its wares. Perhaps a disclaimer that you will be the sole judge as to whether or not the post meets the criteria you specify.

OTOH, I currently have nothing to sell...you can never hoard too much hiking gear! :D

Max

J

jlangdale

I vote yes. Nothing wrong with a little classifieds since this is somewhat localized. Just my two cents.

Greg

Staff member
Well, luckily so far SPAM on this board has been pretty limited. Interesting to see that a few of you would prefer absolutely no advertising at all allowed. I also agree that a "Classifieds" forum would probably only promote it (I voted No, BTW). I also suspect it will be a forum that rarely gets used and that any used gear by members could be posted for sale in the appropriate forum (ski or hike) perhaps with a "FS:" in the subject. To that end, unless there's an overwhelming Yes vote here, I'm leaning to not creating a new forum for this. Let's see how it goes.

As for the advertising on this site, I've made every effort to keep it as limited as possible. The forums especially with advertising only on the top (in the form of predominantly ski resort banners) and bottom (Google ads) are pretty non-intrusive, IMO. Some of the other sections on the site include "right border" sponsorships which are also targeted and hopefully not too bothersome to look at. I think these limited ad locations benefit the visitors here as well as my advertisers as it's somewhat "exclusive" real estate. I don't have pop-ups and have tried to find a reasonable balance with the advertising.

Thanks for the donation offer the8re! If you want to help support the site, make an online lodging reservation, or buy something from the gear store or one of the books from the main page. :)

SilentCal

A classfied section would be a nice way to pick up some gear but I'd hate to buy something from someone and then there be a problem. A section I'd like to see is a Places to Stay and Places to eat Review page. It could deal with motels, campgrounds and resteraunts that people frequent and maybe some helpful advice to steer clear of some places.

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
I also agree that a "Classifieds" forum would probably only promote it (I voted No, BTW). I also suspect it will be a forum that rarely gets used...
Talk about contradicting statements.... :roll: WTG, Greg! :oops:

ChileMass

Yeah - there might not be a whole lot of traffic on an AZ Classifieds forum, but if it makes you a few bucks and, as Max said, we can help out some neighbors in the process, I'm for it. As our network administrator and protector, you can keep all that nasty spam away from us, right, Greg - ?? :wink:

Greg

Staff member
ChileMass said:
Yeah - there might not be a whole lot of traffic on an AZ Classifieds forum, but if it makes you a few bucks and, as Max said, we can help out some neighbors in the process, I'm for it.
I wouldn't make any money from it. It would just be a place to put it all. Also, it wouldn't contain any of the real junk (off topic blatant spam, pyramid schemes, etc.). That stuff simply gets deleted as soon as I see it now anyway.

ChileMass said:
As our network administrator and protector, you can keep all that nasty spam away from us, right, Greg - ?? :wink:
:lol: I'll do my best. This discussion will probably lead to defining the overall approach we'll adopt for handling advertising on the boards. Like I said, these are your forums and you all can help shape their future...

Joshua B

My only worry is that there might be too many forums on the index page. It might look overwhelming for new people.

Max

Now that I see Greg's suggestion that we could put the odd item for sale in the appropriate section (HIKING for hiking gear, etc), I'm leaning towards that rather than a new forum. I wasn't sure if it was the considerate thing to do if we had something for sale, but if Greg doesn't mind us posting the occasional piece of gear then I'm all for doing it that way. Except that I have nothing to sell right now.

Am I making any sense? Probably not, so I'll just retire to my backyard yurt and take a double shot of Ginko...maybe that'll clear things up a bit! :D

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I haven't noticed anyone abusing this. I have seen people (myself included) mention other websites, but they have not been ones that "compete" with what you have here and they have been mentioned when someone else brought up the topic of other sites.

I have also not seen people selling, or trying to sell many things.

If you want to make a classified section, do it, but I really don't see a need at this point. I think that a classified section would encourage more of that type of behavior.

I would like to see you have a section for links. There have been some great sites mentioned in your forums. Some that I would like to look at once in a while. To find the URL's again I either have to put them into my favorites or find the post again. My favorites is getting pretty full.

O

oldhippie

Sure

I moderate a motorcycle forum, similar to this but slightly larger user group. We have a classified section that is primarily for our users to help them swap/sell used items.

However we have situations, just like this one, where a vendor shows up and does the shameless add thing. We reserve the right to delete them, but will usually let them go, unless we feel there is something offensive about the post. Or, if we know that the product is of poor quality. I've banned one vendor that just kept posting.

I've already got a full time job, being a moderator is tough enough already.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Greg,
Can we post items for sale that are not hiking or skiing related in the Misc. Discussion forum? For example, I have a Cannondale road bike I'm looking to get rid of, but I wasn't sure if posting it to AlpineZone would be appropriate.
May I also suggest that once a "for sale" post is made, the prospective purchaser(s) contact the poster through private message or e-mail to keep us all from having to read endless posts of:
"Will you take fifty?"
"No."
"How about 60?"
"Maybe. Have anything to trade?"
"What's the condition like?"
etc, etc.

Smitty

Greg

Staff member
teachski said:
If you want to make a classified section, do it, but I really don't see a need at this point. I think that a classified section would encourage more of that type of behavior.
I tend to agree here. I just don't think we're at the point (yet) where this is required.

smitty77 said:
Can we post items for sale that are not hiking or skiing related in the Misc. Discussion forum?
I suppose that's fine if you think someone from this board may be interested. I agree with you on using PMs or Email to negotiate.

MtnMagic

The more I think about it I don't believe selling used gear would benefit this site. I agree with Cal that places to stay and eat would be more benefical to readers.

How about organizing ski trips and hikes so that folks can meet and enjoy adventures together?! On every outdoor board I read of folks wanting to meet hiking partners, just to have company to hike with. A group hike is fun! Why not start group hikes here?!

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
MtnMagic said:
How about organizing ski trips and hikes so that folks can meet and enjoy adventures together?! On every outdoor board I read of folks wanting to meet hiking partners, just to have company to hike with. A group hike is fun! Why not start group hikes here?!

This may deserve it's own thread, but adding a calendar mod would be neat so that we could see who is planning on hiking/skiing where and when so we can try to hook up.

-T

MtnMagic

I just voted on the hiking event/trip forum. Yes, I do believe it's time to revive it.

I'm all for a calander so hikers can hook up to hikes even if it is just once a month. Start with the smaller summits while getting in shape for the higher ones.

Readers would benefit from knowing where to eat and stay and where "not" to eat and stay!
:)