• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Man I hate traffic jams

legalskier

Nothing like a nasty jam to mar a fun weekend on the mountain.
SUVs with 4WD/AWD doing 15 mph? *smh*

attachment.php

Attachments

• jam.jpg
    jam.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 218

mriceyman

At least it happened leaving the mountain

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

gmcunni

Mt Snow to home - usually 2:45 door to door. last night = 4:30

i thought MA roads were bad until i hit CT. seemed like our roads were not treated nor being plowed.

legalskier

Took me an extra hour and a half to get to NJ from the 'Cats. Once I got into the open my Suby had no problem at all. The problem was, there weren't many open areas.

Glenn

Mt Snow to home - usually 2:45 door to door. last night = 4:30

i thought MA roads were bad until i hit CT. seemed like our roads were not treated nor being plowed.

Our normal just under two hours was closer to 3.5 hours last night. What a mess! I thought we were in the clear when Waze had us going rt 5 down to Bernardston to avoid the accident on 91...it just got worse the further south we got. People still need to understand the two lane concept of the highway. I'm all for driving at speeds relating to conditions. But the people going 35mph in the left lane screwed things up. I mean, really?

drjeff

I was at Willard Mtn in NY (maybe 20 miles NE of Albany) I left there about 2 - down to Albany and then over on The NY State Thruway/Mass Pike to Worcester and down 395) Google maps had it at 185 miles and 3 hours and 5 minutes - made it in 3:30 with one stop on the Pike - roads not too bad until I got into CT where it seems like the DOT didn't believe in salting the roads!! NY + MA did a decent job of salting things and keeping the pavement more wet than white!!

My wife said the drive home from Mount Snow "really f#&%+@g SUCKED!!" and immediately asked for a drink upon getting home!! :lol:

Fortunately for me, until I crossed into CT about the only times I dropped below 60 was when their was either a DOT brigade salting/plowing ahead of me or when some rubbernecking for incidents in the Westbound lanes slowed things briefly

Having been doing the weekly weekend drives home from VT for years, I just learned to mentally add 50% to my usual drive time before I start and then expect a high level of idiots going 20 to 30 in the left lane (not unlike most Friday evenings between about 4:30 and 6 on 91 Northbound from Springfield, MA up to Northampton as the caravan of Prius's with rainbow stickers on their bumpers get out of work and head home :Uzi: :mad: :lol:

SkiFanE

Nothing like a nasty jam to mar a fun weekend on the mountain.
SUVs with 4WD/AWD doing 15 mph? *smh*

attachment.php

Yeah..big honking SUVs are the worst. People that buy them would never dare go off-road, and then on the snow they are too afraid of hurting their big expensive hulk of metal. Worst was an Infiniti SUV going 15mph on Rt. 26 on way to SR last winter...took 20 miles til I could finally pass the thing....had to be 50 people behind it. At least they should pull over and let the people by, since the are obviously in no rush.

hammer

OK...how fast do you go on the roads when the weather's bad? If the roads are just wet then I'm fine with highway speed, but if there's a coating on the ground my max is about 40, and even then I'm not all that comfortable. I actually like to go a bit slower in an SUV because with the additional mass it's harder to stop.

I know I go slower than some when the roads get bad but I do my best to stay in the right hand lane. If you want to blaze past me on the left, go 65+ on snow-covered roads, and lose it up the road from me be my guest.

gmcunni

i don't have a set speed for bad weather. i adjust based on the conditions and probably drive on the faster side of the scale. if people want to drive slow because they want to be cautious that's cool with me. I just wish they'd stick to the right lane. can't count the number of people i had to pass on the right last night.

side note - subi outback handled the weather great last night. even managed 29 MPG on the ride home.

twinplanx

Yeah the Cloggers were out in force last night. I screamed out loud to a Mercedes to get out of the left lane, loud enough for both passenger & driver to turn there heads( personal victory) Here's a clue, if your so terrified that you have your hazard lights on, maybe you don't belong in the left lane... just sayin'

legalskier

OK...how fast do you go on the roads when the weather's bad? If the roads are just wet then I'm fine with highway speed, but if there's a coating on the ground my max is about 40, and even then I'm not all that comfortable.

I maxed out at 40-45 in the slop. No problem, just keep them wheels spinning.

Last edited:

Scruffy

OK...how fast do you go on the roads when the weather's bad? If the roads are just wet then I'm fine with highway speed, but if there's a coating on the ground my max is about 40, and even then I'm not all that comfortable. I actually like to go a bit slower in an SUV because with the additional mass it's harder to stop.

Depends on the road conditions, but usually faster than most, I have a good feel for my car's "presence" on the road, and how glued I am to the road. I drive a front wheel drive car with 4 really good snow tires and usually pass skidding and spinning SUVs with all season tires.

ScottySkis

87 I from Kingston Sunday night was a mess and skow going to Newburg and 17 k was inches of snow all way home no cars wasn't easy trip back close to Same point roads curve and hills here Honda crappy snow tires no front wheel drive non fun drive at all

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I hate limited access highways. I also hate immobility. I'd rather go 5mph on a side road than wait for a highway obstruction to clear. It gives you more options, and probably doesn't take any longer.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Coming back from VT on Sunday night, there were many people who should not have been on the road. Maybe 2-3" on the road, one jack@$$ who thought he could do anything in his AWD car ended up doing a nice 180. On the other end are the freaked out people who go 20mph for 50miles and are too scared or brain dead to occasionally pull over and let traffic pass (ahem, the "me first" crowd?)

I'm not obnoxious or generally impatient, but just my observation that some people should NOT be on the road, they are simply unskilled.