• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eveready

drjeff

Has anyone tried any of the battery heated clothing?

My wife and daughter (and a number of our friends) have the Lenz battery heated socks and LOVE them.

The durability of the socks and the batteries has been very good, with my daughters having about 40 days on them and they're in great shape. The blu-tooth control on the socks for the battery pack is great, as to protect the batteries you're supposed to roll the top of the sock once over the battery (the top 2" of the sock isn't super tight, so it's comfortable to do so my wife and daughter tell me) to help reduce the risk of the battery coming unhooked from the heating elements and falling out

TheArchitect

My wife and daughter (and a number of our friends) have the Lenz battery heated socks and LOVE them.

The durability of the socks and the batteries has been very good, with my daughters having about 40 days on them and they're in great shape. The blu-tooth control on the socks for the battery pack is great, as to protect the batteries you're supposed to roll the top of the sock once over the battery (the top 2" of the sock isn't super tight, so it's comfortable to do so my wife and daughter tell me) to help reduce the risk of the battery coming unhooked from the heating elements and falling out

Which Lenz do you have? I've been considering picking up a pair ever since my Hotronics died.

fbrissette

What about the jackets base layers

I don't understand why you would need an expensive battery system for a base layer. Just use one that is warmer.

I see it for your feet where layering up is impossible but the rest of the body, I don't get it.

djd66

Imagine what it would be like if you only needed 1 layer of clothing under a jacket. The temp is all controlled by your personal preference. I'd pay money for a system like that.

Domeskier

Imagine what it would be like if you only needed 1 layer of clothing under a jacket. The temp is all controlled by your personal preference. I'd pay money for a system like that.

I agree. I know from experience that after one lap down some bump run I will regret throwing on a bunch of layers even on the coldest days. It would be nice to have someway to stay warm on the first ride up of the day or after lunch or when the lift breaks down without having to carry around additional layers. Barring that, I wouldn't mind some layers that actually "wick away" moisture like they claim to.

Hawkshot99

I agree. I know from experience that after one lap down some bump run I will regret throwing on a bunch of layers even on the coldest days. It would be nice to have someway to stay warm on the first ride up of the day or after lunch or when the lift breaks down without having to carry around additional layers. Barring that, I wouldn't mind some layers that actually "wick away" moisture like they claim to.
What if on that freezing cold day the battery dies, or the app malfunctions. The cold days are ALWAYS when the lift breaks on me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

What if on that freezing cold day the battery dies, or the app malfunctions. The cold days are ALWAYS when the lift breaks on me.

I suppose resorts and commonsense frown on people carrying around self-evac kits?

BenedictGomez

I don't understand why you would need an expensive battery system for a base layer. Just use one that is warmer.

I see it for your feet where layering up is impossible but the rest of the body, I don't get it.

I don't even get it for the feet. If your equipment fits right, why are your feet cold (unless you have a circulation problem, etc.... I imagine it could help those folks).

Glenn

No mater what gear I use, I get cold feet and hands. Battery powered boot heaters have been beneficial. We also buy a case of hand warmers and foot warmers before each season on Amazon.

I could certainly see the benefit of heated gear. I've read that they've experimented with clothing that will generate power from movement to help top off batteries. Years off though.

drjeff

I don't even get it for the feet. If your equipment fits right, why are your feet cold (unless you have a circulation problem, etc.... I imagine it could help those folks).

I never used to have extremity cold issues (fingers and toes to be precise), then I got into my later 30's and now mid 40's, and frankly my body is different at handling the cold than it used to be, and not in a good way for my extremities!!

10 years ago, and for my entire almost 30 years of skiing before that, I was always a glove wearing guy. Then, even with better insulation and water/windproof fabrics that were developed overtime, I started getting cold finger tips (but never any sweat dampness) and went to hand warmers, and then "lobster claw" style gloves and now full mittens, which some days I find that I need 2 sets of hand warmers to keep my finger tips warm and me out on the hill. The same thing with my feet. The boot fit is great, no hot spots, but I started having cold toes, so that first had me using toe warmers and the neoprene boot covers on some cold days, then that went to hot tronics (as well as the neoprene covers on some days) and now, I'm probably going to follow in the heated socks that made a HUGE difference for my wife and daughter last year.

Cold fingers and toes were never an issue for me in the past, even with arguably insulation and fabrics that had much lower performance than what I have now. It's just the reality that our bodies do often act differently as we age :(

jimmywilson69

my feet sweat and therefore get cold. When I am in VT skiing, I don't have the cold feet issues hardly at all because the runs are long enough to pump warm blood into my feet on the way down. At home in PA, if its really cold Sub 20, then its a problem because you sit on the lift longer than you ski. There have been times where I've been completely numb in my feet after 2.5 hours. It sucks!

drjeff

my feet sweat and therefore get cold. When I am in VT skiing, I don't have the cold feet issues hardly at all because the runs are long enough to pump warm blood into my feet on the way down. At home in PA, if its really cold Sub 20, then its a problem because you sit on the lift longer than you ski. There have been times where I've been completely numb in my feet after 2.5 hours. It sucks!

Have you ever tried using some spray anti perspirant on your feet before putting your ski socks on? I have a number of sweaty footed friends who swear by that to control wettness

crank

I looked at those Lenz socks which cost $200! I think we will stick with the little disposable toe warmer thingies.