• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hope?

catsup948

I don't post very often on AZ but I feel I need to post my thoughts and hopes for the rest of this winter. I look at this winter a lot different than last. Last winter was rough for all of New England. I skied waist deep powder on October 30th, that was my season highlight. We never had any cold weather, the whole winter felt like the first week of April. This winter has hit a wall after early snow. But I really feel like this winter will turn itself around. Who remembers 2007? Winter was bleak and we got smashed on Valentines Day, snow here in western mass did not melt until early April: 6 solid weeks of winter. 2009-2010 we got a massive storm the last week of February. I'd say we only had about 3 weeks of real winter that season. But do I remember the rest of that winter, no I remember the last three weeks of great skiing(60 inches at Saddleback followed by 12" the next day!).

I have hope for this winter! :)

Cornhead

Thank God for the snow around Christmas/New Year's Day, if it weren't for that, I'd really be depressed. My faith was restored with an awesome powder day at little old Snow Ridge. I'm embarking on a Cannon, Saddleback, Sugarloaf tour on Thursday. I had seriously considered canceling, but I've got a shitload of vouchers, and vacation time, to use, so I'm biting the bullet, and hoping for the best.

My employer's policy on vacation is two week's notice. Madame president is a snowmobiler, next best thing to her being a skier, I asked her if I can give short notice to take a day, or two, she agreed. This is great news as hopefully I can intercept upcoming storms, if they come. Let's all hope multiple days in the 80's in March, like last year, are not the new norm.

I hope she will let me give short notice in the upcoming seasons, I hate making plans in advance and hoping the stars align, it's great when they do, but lately it's more likely they won't.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

It is always greatest skiing is natural snow for sure. Powder days are awesome! I had some a few years ago at Platty. I like to get one this winter. Winters being the way they are now, gives me thoughts of having to buy a season pass next year at a place that makes a good amount of snow, and does not required snow fall to get all their trails open. At least it has been cold enough for the hills to make snow. I remember some very warm times in the past several years. I just happy to to get out of the boring house and on the hills.

Cornhead

Good morning Scotty, heading over to my Brother's place in about an hour. Rambo loaned me a couple pair of boots for my Bro to try. He was skiing my old Head boots last year. I tried to ski in them at Killington, I couldn't get them snug enough and my Bro's feet are smaller than mine. WTF, they're my boots, guess I lost alot of weight in my ankles. I have to adjust the bindings on my Tigersharks to fit Rambo's boots.

See you in Margaretsville!

ScottySkis

Good morning Scotty, heading over to my Brother's place in about an hour. Rambo loaned me a couple pair of boots for my Bro to try. He was skiing my old Head boots last year. I tried to ski in them at Killington, I couldn't get them snug enough and my Bro's feet are smaller than mine. WTF, they're my boots, guess I lost alot of weight in my ankles. I have to adjust the bindings on my Tigersharks to fit Rambo's boots.

See you in Margaretsville!
Sweet. I will see you their.:thumbup:

xwhaler

Nice post Jamie. I have some vouchers id like to use. Have a blast at the summit. I join u guys next yr with little man!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
=catsup948;756127Who remembers 2007?
I remember 2007. But the big difference is the V Day Blizzard didn't fall on essentially no base. Skiing was actually quite good in late January and early February. Here are a few of my reports showing that things were actually quite nice before that Blizzard:http://www.thesnowway.com/2007/01/20/154http://www.thesnowway.com/2007/01/27/tree-skiing-madness-in-thin-cover-at-jayhttp://www.thesnowway.com/2007/02/04/jay-peak-vt-3http://www.thesnowway.com/2007/02/09/two-pre-work-runs-on-friday-at-burkeI had a few other reports leading up to the blizzard that reported not stellar but not horrible conditions. The fact is that there was plenty of natural snow, on map tree skiing, and even some off map tree skiing to be had late January into early February. Obviously, Jay gets better than average snow but I also have a great report from Burke in there from early February and they only average around 200". Right now, I do not think there is a single natural snow trail open in New England. Most resorts have glades with no base, maybe a few inches of recent snow since the thaw at best. The problem is that natural snow trails have absolutely no base, we are starting over. We are essentially skiing on late November snow... just a heck of a lot more trails than would be covered at that time. A single blizzard will not put all options on the table. We need a few storms and consolidations to bury the junk again. We always get mid-winter thaws but I've never seen one completely take out the base region wide for all natural snow options. While we have a "what have you done for me lately" with the weather... one big storm won't bring the trees back into play unless it is truly epic and absolutely bottomless. Obviously, we don't know what is going to happen. But we do know that any snow will fall on zero base and we are rebuilding from scratch and that means it is going to take some major storm systems to get us even close to average and it is almost implausible that we'll get above average without a 2001 style slam dunk. I'm ready for some surprises. But I'm looking at this realistically. Last year sucked but at least we never went back to square one on base depths.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
=catsup948;756127Who remembers 2007?
I remember 2007. But the big difference is the V Day Blizzard didn't fall on essentially no base. Skiing was actually quite good in late January and early February. Here are a few of my reports showing that things were actually quite nice before that Blizzard:

http://www.thesnowway.com/2007/01/20/154

http://www.thesnowway.com/2007/01/27/tree-skiing-madness-in-thin-cover-at-jay

http://www.thesnowway.com/2007/02/04/jay-peak-vt-3

http://www.thesnowway.com/2007/02/09/two-pre-work-runs-on-friday-at-burke

I had a few other reports leading up to the blizzard that reported not stellar but not horrible conditions. The fact is that there was plenty of natural snow, on map tree skiing, and even some off map tree skiing to be had late January into early February. Obviously, Jay gets better than average snow but I also have a great report from Burke in there from early February and they only average around 200".

Right now, I do not think there is a single natural snow trail open in New England. Most resorts have glades with no base, maybe a few inches of recent snow since the thaw at best. The problem is that natural snow trails have absolutely no base, we are starting over. We are essentially skiing on late November snow... just a heck of a lot more trails than would be covered at that time. A single blizzard will not put all options on the table. We need a few storms and consolidations to bury the junk again.

We always get mid-winter thaws but I've never seen one completely take out the base region wide for all natural snow options. While we have a "what have you done for me lately" with the weather... one big storm won't bring the trees back into play unless it is truly epic and absolutely bottomless. Obviously, we don't know what is going to happen. But we do know that any snow will fall on zero base and we are rebuilding from scratch and that means it is going to take some major storm systems to get us even close to average and it is almost implausible that we'll get above average without a 2001 style slam dunk.

I'm ready for some surprises. But I'm looking at this realistically. Last year sucked but at least we never went back to square one on base depths.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Geez River, you sure know how to get me down. Just shove the facts at me.
Meh, I'm dreaming. I'm going out no matter how bad the snow is - at least I can do something vaguely similar to skiing :(
Nothing worse than getting to be middle of March and only gone out a handful of times, on all the wrong day.

I'm saving up all my viruses and flus for the day(s) when a miracle occurs and I must disappear. No friends day is planned. Now don't mix this up with facts! :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
FWIW.... I really enjoyed the skiing at Burke today. Granted, they only had four unique top to bottom groomers and all natural snow trails had at best two inches on top of no base whatsoever. But sometimes having a groomer ripper day is quite fun. The problem is if that continues to happen multiple weekends in a row...

I'm not down on the season completely. But I am realistic. We have 0" of base on natural snow trails right now. That means we are one to two months behind depending on where you ski and what your expectations are. That is a hard blow to recover from when we have only two more months of reliable snowfall months (baring some freak April action) to not only get some snow on the ground but build the base from scratch. And the next few weeks don't look very good based on what I just saw on the Single Chair blog.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Untrue to my style, I am actually looking more seriously skiing during President's day week. We are conspiring to hit Burke at an opportune time. I'm taking it one week (day?) at a time.

river - I am just going to close my eyes and pretend I didn't see your links to Hillman's and Sherburne. Otherwise I might end up at the Faulkner.. http://www.brighamandwomensfaulkner.org/addiction.html

JDMRoma

Untrue to my style, I am actually looking more seriously skiing during President's day week. We are conspiring to hit Burke at an opportune time. I'm taking it one week (day?) at a time.

river - I am just going to close my eyes and pretend I didn't see your links to Hillman's and Sherburne. Otherwise I might end up at the Faulkner.. http://www.brighamandwomensfaulkner.org/addiction.html
I had originally planned to avoid Presidents week too but if there is snow Im skiing, Also looking to hit Burke and or Jay on a good day of or after a blockbuster storm !

Riverskier

FWIW.... I really enjoyed the skiing at Burke today. Granted, they only had four unique top to bottom groomers and all natural snow trails had at best two inches on top of no base whatsoever. But sometimes having a groomer ripper day is quite fun. The problem is if that continues to happen multiple weekends in a row...

I'm not down on the season completely. But I am realistic. We have 0" of base on natural snow trails right now. That means we are one to two months behind depending on where you ski and what your expectations are. That is a hard blow to recover from when we have only two more months of reliable snowfall months (baring some freak April action) to not only get some snow on the ground but build the base from scratch. And the next few weeks don't look very good based on what I just saw on the Single Chair blog.

Your assessment of the current base on natural terrain is not true for Maine. I was at Sunday River yesterday and they still have a pretty good base on the natural terrain. That base is even deeper (naturally) at Sugarloaf and Saddleback. It obviously isn't even remotely skiable now, but I would say one good foot plus storm, or a couple small ones, would put most natural terrain back into play. I can't speak for NH or VT though, and if it doesn't start snowing soon it is a moot point!

BenedictGomez

Single Chair Blog says possible 5-10" Thurs into Fri. That's Green spine centric, of course.

Looking at the models, I dont know what model he's possibly using to arrive at 10" on the high. Hope he's right, but that guy is always very snowptimistic with his totals.