• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weather Forum?

Should we add a Weather Forum?

• Yes

Votes: 29 65.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
What do you guys think about a Weather Forum? We've had one in the past and with all the weather threads popping up, it might be useful to try it again. I am trying to get one pro met on board to provide some real insight. It could be a good place for all the storm discussion threads too. What do you think? Please vote in the poll.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I would like to have a 48 hour ski/board-barometer, or conditions-map or something graphical, organized by region, entirely based upon the "stick the nose out the window" forecasting method by AZ readers. It gives me a fast glance on where conditions look good, regardless of state lines, etc. It helps me decide quickly, rather than reading through tons of posts. If we don't have input, then there will be no data for that region.

It would be nice to be able to look in one place, at one map and see what's current, strictly from a skier's perspective. For example, I cobbled together a couple of clickable state maps, one shows NWS forecast, one shows webcams. http://www.iabsi.com/public/ski/toolbox.htm#cams Then I ran out of time.

I would limit the forecast to strictly events that would impact skier experience such as significant snowfall expectations, rain, ice, extremely high temperature rises/falls or high winds . The idea of forecasting with precision is ridiculous, at least from a skier's perspective.

I would also love to have a graphical chart showing current ski conditions, with a similar "reader input" criteria.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
I would like to have a 48 hour ski/board-barometer, or conditions-map or something graphical, organized by region, entirely based upon the "stick the nose out the window" forecasting method by AZ readers. It gives me a fast glance on where conditions look good, regardless of state lines, etc. It helps me decide quickly, rather than reading through tons of posts. If we don't have input, then there will be no data for that region.

I'll get Brian right on it. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Why did the people who voted 'no' vote that way? I'm just curious why people are against this.

For the record I voted 'unsure', because, well, I'm not sure it's needed or not..

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Since you asked....I voted no as I simply thought alot of folks who are posting a weather event will be torn between a weather sub-forum and the most popular, sub-forum skiing and riding, which I think it does belong as well. The line is way too gray for me between the two. Just my .02. I'm easy so whatever you guys do will be fine with me.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Why did the people who voted 'no' vote that way? I'm just curious why people are against this.
I don't see the point in further sub-dividing the forums. Regular forum visitors likely don't search "new posts" so creating lots of additional forums makes it harder for casual visitors to see all the posts in a given subject. Makes no difference to me personally since I have "New Posts" set as my bookmark, so I see all new posts regardless of sub-forum. I just think breaking up forums can make things more confusing. Another non-skiing forum I browse recently added a ton of new categories and it inhibits discussion when regular forum visitors need to click through a dozen different forums.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I voted "no" for primarily Steve's reasons. I don't see that there is enough volume in weather-specific banter, weather message strings tend to be rather prolonged, keeping the discussions intact and easily find-able, and they sometimes degenerate into whine-a-thons (me guilty of course) about how bad the forecasting is. Often when deciding where to go (I'm not a big advance planner), I look to all the variables as quickly as I can. Finding them in one forum, close chronological order browse is a good way to find them.

Greg

Staff member
A few other things to consider and discuss. Should this forum be its own forum like say Miscellaneous, or should it be a sub-forum under skiing? If we do proceed here, I would like this forum to be one about weather as it pertains to skiings for the most part.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
A few other things to consider and discuss. Should this forum be its own forum like say Miscellaneous, or should it be a sub-forum under skiing? If we do proceed here, I would like this forum to be one about weather as it pertains to skiings for the most part.

I think it should be its own forum.

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
It's a nice filter on the threads, but voted no also. I'd prefer to check one forum topic for individual posts on the weather... now, should you build a thread similar to onthesnow.com or another weather engine that can capture real time weather it might be worth it to have