• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Noaa says la nina is off the table

Los

The totality of what I've heard and read has substantially lowered my expectations about the coming winter. If I had to, I'd bet that 2016-2017 will be mild. The only saving grace will be the painful memories of 2015-2016 which will help to make this winter seem better than it actually will be.

I'll be more than happy to eat crow.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

yeggous

La Nada is not bad for us. ENSO is overrated as a predictor in New England unless it is super strong like last year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

ALLSKIING

Staff member
The totality of what I've heard and read has substantially lowered my expectations about the coming winter. If I had to, I'd bet that 2016-2017 will be mild. The only saving grace will be the painful memories of 2015-2016 which will help to make this winter seem better than it actually will be.

I'll be more than happy to eat crow.

Anything that you've read or heard about is just a guess. It's way to early to actually know what will happen. Heck they couldn't even tell where that hurricane was going one day out.

Jully

La Nada is not bad for us. ENSO is overrated as a predictor in New England unless it is super strong like last year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Anything would be great indeed. Temperatures being lower around the holiday time would be a great start.

JimG.

Staff member
Bring on the heat now! I love it, the hotter the better!

Get it over with so we have a normal winter.

hammer

Bring on the heat now! I love it, the hotter the better!

Get it over with so we have a normal winter.
What's a normal winter and when is the last year we had one?

Would not mind a break in the humidity...running has been tougher this summer (getting older doesn't help either).

Jully

Would not mind a break in the humidity...running has been tougher this summer (getting older doesn't help either).

When is the last 'normal' winter? 2013-2014?

It is just crazy to think that in less than 2 weeks time the past few years, multiple places did a live test of their snowmaking systems, even if only for a short bit.

Went to driving range and felt like I was in a sauna. Just dripping after a few minutes. Doesn't bode well for my anticipated 18 holes tomorrow, BUT I was in Litchfield Hills this past weekend and definitely saw some early color on the trees. Mid to late next week looks like a pattern change in CT to more fall like weather. Fingers crossed as I'm already scoping out lift tix deals for this season.

Optimism reigns this time of year!

skibumski

Well for the sake of all North American skiing, let's just hope all these are wrong. Positive is they're all different. Negative is they're all scorching hot. Thankfully still early.

Cr3i7PBWYAA4KmH.jpg

Los

Well for the sake of all North American skiing, let's just hope all these are wrong. Positive is they're all different. Negative is they're all scorching hot. Thankfully still early.

Cr3i7PBWYAA4KmH.jpg

Source? I'd like to take a closer look at those... Thanks in advance.

JimG.

Staff member

I have to define a normal winter? Temps around freezing or below most of the time with occasional snow?

We're complaining about heat but it is still summer. Next someone will claim they heard that winter is cancelled this year.

Rampant Chicken Littleism! Positive vibes people!!

mriceyman

I have to define a normal winter? Temps around freezing or below most of the time with occasional snow?

We're complaining about heat but it is still summer. Next someone will claim they heard that winter is cancelled this year.

Rampant Chicken Littleism! Positive vibes people!!

In the mountains the daily high has a to be in the 20s or lower mid winter i would think

deadheadskier

Staff member
Don't know what will happen this winter,but as for today.....

Attachments

• 1473533433728.jpg
    1473533433728.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 79

skibumski

Source? I'd like to take a closer look at those... Thanks in advance.
Sorry... it's a subscription service. A good friend of mine is a PhD working for NWS and posted this on twitter, I asked him about it and he said not much he can do.