• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2017 Resort Upgrades

Zand

Now that the off-season is officially here, what areas are doing lift/lodge/trail/etc upgrades that we know of?

drjeff

Mount Snow is basically doubling their water pumping capacity up to 12,000 gpm and increasing their water storage capacity 6 fold up to 120 million gallons as well as replacing miles of snowmaking pipe

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Magic:

Installing/finishing the Green (mid mountain) double chair
New Magic Carpet lift

Snowmaking pipe replacement, notably significant base area water feeder pipe.
Snowmaking pipe repair to bring several trails back "online".
Pond repair (taking it off stream so it's a storage pond and rerouting stream). With dam repaired it will hold significantly more water.

And a laundry list of other items that will make a big difference at Magic.

Do Work is doing a lot of work, aided and abetted by JamaciaMan and his merry band of investors.....

xlr8r

New T Bar at Burke
2 new quads at Sugarbush
Finishing trail clearing/grading/snowmaking on Green Peak at Waterville

thetrailboss

Staff member
Out here in Utah:

Cecret Double and Supreme Triple are getting replaced with one new HSQ at Alta.

Glenn

Mount Snow is widening Long John. They've got some good pics on the blog section of their website.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does anybody know if anything is happening at Sugarloaf this year?

I'm not sure if it will happen this year, but they have permits in place to cut a trail for snow cat service on Burnt Mountain. It would go to just below the summit. At the AZ summit they said they weren't sure if they'd receive the funding this summer from corporate to build the trail and buy the snow cat, but it is definitely the plan for Burnt.

goldenboy80

I'm surprised to see no announcement or progress toward a Bucksaw replacement. On one hand, they don't really need it given SuperQuad capacity and improved reliability and intermediate terrain serviced by the WhiffleTree quad. On the other hand, why the hell hasn't Sugarloaf installed a new high speed lift in over 20 years? Not long ago Sugarloaf used to try to remain competitive with its peers and aim for #1 in the east. Summer seasons with Boyne now consist of paint the fence, wax-on, wax-off, and no flying crane kicks. I'm looking forward to some kind of announcement soon to demonstrate that the new owner recognizes the severity of its deferred capital expenditures budget and is willing to take corrective action.

tumbler

Not really construction but an improvement. Sugarbush rebranded Timbers to Rumble's Kitchen, with new menu, manager and vibe. I hope it is good, I would much rather be in there than the Pub. Fingers crossed!

chuckstah

The Boyne rumor from this spring said no capital improvement money, zero, available this summer outside of the announced projects at SR. Expect a big announcement at some point for spring of 2018 when the new lease holder will pony up some cash. Word is gondola replacement at Loon, and maybe the new pulse gondy will finally go in at South Peak. Have not heard any Loaf news yet. Only a rumor but from someone in the know.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
What is the local feeling on that?

That is a good question. So far I have not heard a lot of feedback when talking to folks. Nobody is really happy or mad. I know that a lot of folks complained about the Supreme last season--it was a fixed triple with a carpet loader. The carpet was breaking. Honestly I thought it was fine.

The big upset is that local company Doppelmayr lost the job to Poma. This is the first major Poma install in the Wasatch since they did work at the former Canyons more than 20 years ago.

More folks are upset about the proposed "mini-tram" that Alta wants to install to the top of Baldy.

Jully

I'm surprised to see no announcement or progress toward a Bucksaw replacement. On one hand, they don't really need it given SuperQuad capacity and improved reliability and intermediate terrain serviced by the WhiffleTree quad. On the other hand, why the hell hasn't Sugarloaf installed a new high speed lift in over 20 years? Not long ago Sugarloaf used to try to remain competitive with its peers and aim for #1 in the east. Summer seasons with Boyne now consist of paint the fence, wax-on, wax-off, and no flying crane kicks. I'm looking forward to some kind of announcement soon to demonstrate that the new owner recognizes the severity of its deferred capital expenditures budget and is willing to take corrective action.

Bucksaw is unlikely to be replaced anytime soon. When they took it out, they didn't mention anything about a replacement in the near future (or at all IIRC). Can't disagree with what you've said about Boyne. It appears to be part of their REIT model though. CNL wasn't putting up any money so nothing got done. Yes SL only has 2 HSQs, but their lift system isn't in shambles right now. It compares pretty nicely to most other NE resorts minus Okemo, Stratton, and Snow for the most part.

Hopefully what Chuckstah said is right and 2018 will bring some money to all the boyne NE resorts. A gondola replacement at Loon would pretty much fully bring it in line with its VT upscale competition.

goldenboy80

Wow, it sounds like Loon is getting some love. Twenty years ago who would have thought that Loon Mountain would overtake Sugarloaf as the superior resort.

tumbler

That is a good question. So far I have not heard a lot of feedback when talking to folks. Nobody is really happy or mad. I know that a lot of folks complained about the Supreme last season--it was a fixed triple with a carpet loader. The carpet was breaking. Honestly I thought it was fine.

The big upset is that local company Doppelmayr lost the job to Poma. This is the first major Poma install in the Wasatch since they did work at the former Canyons more than 20 years ago.

More folks are upset about the proposed "mini-tram" that Alta wants to install to the top of Baldy.

I forgot about the tram thing to Baldy- is it designed so you ski just Alta side or can you drop into Snowbird? I might have the geogaphy off.

I was wondering if the locals would be pissed about more traffic in Supreme but if the lift was having issues then it sounds like a good idea. It ran fine when I was there and I really liked the terrain up there. Makes more sense layout wise without Cecret.

cdskier

Not really construction but an improvement. Sugarbush rebranded Timbers to Rumble's Kitchen, with new menu, manager and vibe. I hope it is good, I would much rather be in there than the Pub. Fingers crossed!

It will be interesting to see how this impacts CR Pub. I can definitely see it taking some load off CR Pub and perhaps even becoming the more popular choice eventually.