• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Running...how cold can you go?

hammer

Been trying to keep up my 3x/week running routine I started back in early October. With some layering and protection for the head and hands I've managed to do fine in morning temps down to about the mid 20s...but I'm wondering how low the temps will go before I'll need to do something indoors. Still going at a slower pace and it's not what I would call enjoyable yet but I've been seeing a lot of benefits.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I normally start in my treadmill once it drops below 55 or so. I like running in shorts and a t-shirt and once I can't do that it's just easier to hop on the treadmill than it is to dress up for the outdoors.

That said, when training for the marathon I routinely ran in 40 degrees and up. I would still wear shorts; just a long sleeve thermal shirt and a running jacket with some thin gloves and a headband. I'd usually be OK in that getup. If it was really cold, I would wear long pants also.

I wouldn't really run below that ....

Ran a turkey trot in 28 degrees. I swear every single cigar I had during the fall came pouring out of me. Still finished ok, 20:23

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unless it is brutally cold and the wind is whipping I may stay indoors but otherwise I have a guilty conscience if I don't get the dogs out running. I throw on my trail running shoes with thick socks over running leggings, including base layer, fleece, vest hat & mittens to tromp through the snow. I probably look like a snowman but I'm warm and usually enjoying the fresh air.

hammer

Ran a turkey trot in 28 degrees. I swear every single cigar I had during the fall came pouring out of me. Still finished ok, 20:23
It was in the mid 30s when I ran a 5K last Thursday morning, no problems with the temps. My time...second 5K race I've ever run so lets' just say it was somewhat higher than 20:23...

I am far from my prime however. Back in my high school days I ran a 17:18. Once I went from 140-175 pounds Freshman year, my running has never been the same

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Not me I always wonder how I see some people running in shorts when I went to Lake Placid at night it was -5 , with out factoring in wind chills.

bigbog

Mild jogging to walking...back to jogging is probably more descriptive of my activity in winter. Ditto on the layering...... Agree on the temperatures that we in the NE get not having that much effect on decisions...now that we have the better outdoor clothing materials/coatings. When we used to have much greater snow depths with the good-weather dry air that we get..-20F in Greenville(ME) never felt nearly as bad as the raw +10F, without proper layering, in downtown Boston.

bheemsoth

I will run down into the teens wearing shorts, a underarmour type shirt, hat, and gloves. It's cold at the start, but once I get going I'm okay.

The biggest deterrent to winter running for me is ice and snow. They'll force me inside.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was out skinning the other morning but didn't realize it -6 (not much windchill) until my girlfiend and I realized our dogs were freezing. As long as they were running around they were ok but once we stopped (she has a golden and the ice balls in his paws were just becoming painful for him) we realized that we were just as cold. I usually pack my down jacket in my backpack and throw that on before skiing down.

Usually we check the temp before we meet in the morning but we just didn't think it was that cold. If its in the -'s most of the time we will bag the early morning session. It was -14 this morning....I barely could even walk with the dogs outside I was so chilled.

mjg

I have always liked running in the winter, with just a few light layers, nothing big and bulky.

mjg

Anyone have a favorite traction system for running outside all winter? I have used Yaktrax. It is good on snow and ice, but never lasted a whole winter without breaking and needing a new pair.

hammer

So far my lowest is 20-22 degrees...biggest problem at that temp is that my hands are cold for the first 1.5 miles or so. Will be nice to run in 50-55 degree temps in FL on Saturday.

Have tried the elliptical and exercise bike inside but they just don't compare to getting outside for a good run. Better than sitting on the couch I guess.