• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1st Snowboard Invented 1939?

Glenn

I saw something on RSN/Outdoor a few years ago that had something really old. It was a single board and guys would use one pole to balance and move over the flats.

Cannonball

Awesome find!!

This goes back to my long held belief on the evolution of skiing and snowboarding. Skis make for excellent transportation in the snow. While being used for that purpose people found it was also fun to go downhill on them. But starting from scratch, with only the intention of going downhill fast and for fun....the natural inclination is to stand sideways on one wide board!

Cornhead

It's not only the first snowboard, but the first rockered snowboard. :-D You can see it clearly in the drawings...

:spin:

If Hitler would have waited a few years, he'd have had missles, jets, the bomb, and...rocker technology, how could the Germans not rule the world?:dontknow:

RENO

Notice that they're all riding goofy and the board is setup that way and can't be changed without unscrewing the 2 pieces with the belt and buckle attached and making new holes on the other end and attaching them. Look at the :39 - :41 second range...
It's setup ok for me since I'm goofy! :lol:

SIKSKIER

They couldn't find a spot with a clear view to shoot the film?Ha ha.The last few minutes looks like they had snowfall like we did here this year.:p