• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beginner Help.

Sugart

A little background first. I am currently visiting my in laws in south Florida and had the opportunity to do some trail riding at Oleta River State Park. Long story short, I had an awesome time and this was on my nephews bike, nieces helmet, and boat shoes. We did some easy, intermediate, and even one hard trail that absolutely killed me. I was gassed and falling more than riding at one point, but i kept thinking that this was something I could def get into once the snow melts.

So after doing some research on whether there are trails near my house(there is), I decided to start looking at bikes. I not looking to break the bank so I would like to limit myself to 500, but I cant seem to figure out whats good in that range. I find something that is listed as a mountain bike (trek 3500), but when I look for reviews, everyone says its not and that its made for gravel. Now I actually want to ride some trails, so I want something that can handle it. Here is where the problem comes in. Is this sport really as elitist as the internet makes it sound? Sorry if that offends anyone, but its really what Im finding. 500 isnt enough go up to 800. That bike wont last you a year. Those are the comments that I am finding all over the place. I guess my point is that there has to be good quality bikes out there that I can ride on trails and be reliable for my price. If the manufacturers only make quality products in the upper price ranges, how is anyone supposed to be introduced. Thats a bad business model, catering only to the people who are already involved. I will be visiting my LBS when I get home(see I already have your lingo down), but I dont want to be talked into a bike that doesnt fit my needs or wants.

Short version. I am looking for a hard tail mtb around 500 that will be dependable and handle everything a beginner can throw at it, plus room to grow. Does it even exist?

o3jeff

Glad you liked mtb, where are you from?

Go to your LBS and get as much bike as you can for the money, now is the time to get a leftover bike before the nice weather comes and everyone starts to think biking!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Definitely see what's on clearance as a leftover bike. Feb-March is a great time to buy and your LBS will be of great help.

Where can you cut costs? You can get a hardtail. My 1st (and still only) mountain bike is a Specialized Hardrock that I got for $350 as a leftover on clearance at my LBS.

There are some people who are very elitist about any sport you get into. Don't let them get to you. You have to start somewhere. Enjoy!

zakyr

Trek 3700 Disc. Lists for $499.99 and is a great beginner/intermediate bike.

Got one last year and it has been great

bvibert

Staff member
I agree with the above, go to the LBS and see what they have in your price range. There probably won't be a ton of selection, but anything they carry will be good for getting started on. Be aware though, that the sport can be addictive, and you may find yourself lusting after more expensive parts/bikes before too long... ;)

The most important thing is to make sure you get a bike that fits. Each manufacturer/model will have a slightly different fit, so try out as many different bikes that you can (visit multiple shops if possible). After fit I'd try to get the bike with the best fork in your price range, though you may not find much difference at that level. Disc brakes and better derailleurs are nice, but shouldn't be deal breakers.

Sugart

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Has anyone had experience with bikesdirect.com. Seems like if you know what your looking for you can get alot of bike for the money.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thanks for the thoughts so far. Has anyone had experience with bikesdirect.com. Seems like if you know what your looking for you can get alot of bike for the money.
I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie. Just my humble opinion, but fit is really important and not so easy to accomplish ordering on the internet.

bvibert

Staff member

They might be a good option if you know what you're looking at, and know how to work on the bike yourself.

Sugart

Visited the LBS today and learned alot. Guys there were really nice and I didnt feel pressured at all( which I feared). They recommended a KHS either a 11 or 12 model. Obviously a better deal on the 11. Still gonna shop around some more, but I really want to support the local store.

MR. evil

Unless you get a sweet deal on a leftover $500 is not going to get you much of a mountain bike, especially I'd you plan on riding rocky technical trails that really put some wear on your bike . What you need to understand is that its not the frame that will fail on a $500 bike, it's everything else. To get the bike at that price point they cut corners on all of the other parts. My advice would be to get a leftover bike in the $500 to $700 range and ride the piss out of it. Only replace / fix smaller less expensive things as they break. If you really get into MTBg and ride alot that bike will eventually die on you, but by that time you will probably want something nicer anyway. But if you decide that mountain biking isn't for you, your not out that much $$$.

FWIW, my first FS bike was from IBEX.com (similar to BikesDirect). I knew what I wanted / need in terms of bike sizing so there wasn't much risk. The bike was really solid and a great value. I could have parts the parts on the bikes (everything minus the frame) from a bike shop or internet bike shop for the price I paid for the whole bike.

MR. evil

One more thing, if want to get the best deal you can from a bike shop, stay away from the big 3 brands (Spesh, Trek, Cannondale) and look at bikes from Giant, KHS, Jamis, Scott, Kona and so on. IMO those brands offer better parts specs for the same money as the big 3. With the big 3 a lot of what you are paying is for the name on the down tube.

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
Has anyone had experience with bikesdirect.com.

Yeah, bought 2 dawes Haymakers 1500's from them, one for my son, one for me nearly 3 years back, now. I upgraded the brakes from the noisy tektro Novelas to Avid BB7's for a reasonable price (JensonUSA.com). Though I lust for a full suspension Kona or Specialized, and a 29'er as well (gawd it's like boats, an after selling 6, i still have 6), I'm still quite happy with my $420 choice. Just under $500 with the brake upgrade. I'm looking hard at their FS Motobecane 29'ers now, and am glad they're sold out, because I really don't need the "wrath of momma" right now :dontknow:

I have a Trek 3900 as well, cost about the same, not a bad bike, but definitely lesser components. I use it more as a street/trail doink around bike now. My son and I put the Dawes through more the first month we got them (turned the original rotors purple on J-bar up at Kingdom trail, and numerous crashes for both of us) than we had in 4 years on our Treks, and they're holding up well, rims and cranks straight, no cracks etc...

I know what you're talking about with the elitist crap. There's a group who frequent the same trails I do, we're usually finishing up when they arrive, and I swear it's due to me being on a cheap bike why they won't even say "hi". Screw 'em, they suck anyways, and I love doing an extra lap just so I can say "on your right" a few times...even if it kills me:puke:

Last edited:

powhunter

Yeah, bought 2 dawes Haymakers 1500's from them, one for my son, one for me nearly 3 years back, now. I upgraded the brakes from the noisy tektro Novelas to Avid BB7's for a reasonable price (JensonUSA.com). Though I lust for a full suspension Kona or Specialized, and a 29'er as well (gawd it's like boats, an after selling 6, i still have 6), I'm still quite happy with my $420 choice. Just under $500 with the brake upgrade. I'm looking hard at their FS Motobecane 29'ers now, and am glad they're sold out, because I really don't need the "wrath of momma" right now :dontknow:

I have a Trek 3900 as well, cost about the same, not a bad bike, but definitely lesser components. I use it more as a street/trail doink around bike now. My son and I put the Dawes through more the first month we got them (turned the original rotors purple on J-bar up at Kingdom trail, and numerous crashes for both of us) than we had in 4 years on our Treks, and they're holding up well, rims and cranks straight, no cracks etc...

I know what you're talking about with the elitist crap. There's a group who frequent the same trails I do, we're usually finishing up when they arrive, and I swear it's due to me being on a cheap bike why they won't even say "hi". Screw 'em, they suck anyways, and I love doing an extra lap just so I can say "on your right" a few times...even if it kills me:puke:

Off topic but did you and cloudy get a ride in last week? Now that I can take weekends off..Hope to join you guys in the spring

Steveo

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
yeah we had fun

went to Waldo, and Cloudy gave the tour. 4 of us, me, my son Aaron, and a fb friend Steve. About 90 minutes, short but fun. Trail was in great shape. Almost went yesterday at sessions; thought it was too cold and hiked with some friends instead, but when we got there it was warmer than home and saw about 4 folks biking. Looking forward to meeting up. No technical ability on my part, but I have a lot of fun.

Sugart

Thanks for the info Matt. Ive been to 3 LBS. One didnt carry mtb, just bmx, one I really like the service, but they didnt have a lot in the selection department, and the last one was just the opposite, great selection, lousy service.

Ive been doing a ton of research, and feel pretty confindent about ordering from bikesdirect. Ive already started buying gear to ride, just need the actual bike now. Sucks that winter finally decided to show up. I ve got 6 weeks off of work at the end of Feb, hopefully it warms up a little.

MR. evil

Thanks for the info Matt. Ive been to 3 LBS. One didnt carry mtb, just bmx, one I really like the service, but they didnt have a lot in the selection department, and the last one was just the opposite, great selection, lousy service.

Ive been doing a ton of research, and feel pretty confindent about ordering from bikesdirect. Ive already started buying gear to ride, just need the actual bike now. Sucks that winter finally decided to show up. I ve got 6 weeks off of work at the end of Feb, hopefully it warms up a little.

What model from Bikes Direct are you considering? Post a link