• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. tom and MT Field August 7th 2005

Vortex

MT Tom and Mt Field Via Avalon and AZ trails

Temps high 70 at base mid 70's for hike

Clear and Sunny trails muddy in only a few sections.

Aprox 7 miles 6 hours 11 min. Stops for many views.

We got a late Start Sunday 11:09.

We started at Crawford and took the Avalon trail to the A-Z trail 1.3 miles 50 min. Very easy nice slow incline. We then took the A-Z to the Highest point of the trail. This 1 posted mile seemed to take forever. We hit the merge to MT. Tom Spur and headed up .5 miles. Went real Quick reached the summit in no time.
There is a false peak that we hung out with great vies of Washington. If you go just another 15 seconds down the path there is a bench where there is a chair.(Made of of wood with a backing) Great little hide away. We then went to the real summit which would be a left hand turn if you were coming up the trail.... right hand turn takes you to the false peak. Open area, but the views were not as good. 1st 4000 footer of the day done.

We walked back down to the A-z merge and headed to wards MT. Filed for 100 yards. Edit Then we used the Willey range trail This was .9 miles of fairly easy incline. There were very few views, but a nice walk. We reached MT. Field just before 3pm and had a snack not many views from the top, but a big wide open area. As we started to decend, we saw a little side path that led out to a beautiful view of the Mount Washington Hotel and entire region.

We contined down to to go toward crawford. We saw the sign 2.8 miles to Crawford. 1.5 to Avalon again.
The decent was rocky and quite steep. I was glad we did this on the way down and it was dry. that would be a tough hike up.
We stopped at the top of Avalon peak on the way down. This had the best views of the day. On 302, just before Crawford Amc Building, there was a 1/2 mile stretch of Black Eyed Susans on the left that were just fantastic. The patch of yellow could be viewed from Avalon. Just Amazing.

We hit the Avalon merge and headed back to Crawford.
We hit the Cascade loop the falls were really nice. Only a couple minute loop, but well worth it.

We got to the car at 5.20. A great day. I did the hike with my Wife and Son it was great. I had asked for my 40th Birthday to do a nice loop with a couple of 4000 ft mountains. I got my wish. Was 40 on Sat.
My best day of the year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Great report! Nice hike. I liked this part of the Whites...dramatic views into the notch.

Bob R said:
A great day. I did the hike with my Wife and Son it was great. I had asked for my 40th Birthday to do a nice loop with a couple of 4000 ft mountains. I got my wish. Was 40 on Sat.
My best day of the year.

Thought we were going to keep this secret? :wink: :dunce:

Anyways, HAPPY BIRTHDAY :beer:

ChileMass

Bob -

Happy #40, dude! And, what a great day to be on top of Avalon. Sat was beautiful. The only time I was ever up there was a similar, clear, blue-sky day. What a great view over to Washington, etc. Mrs Bob R must be a peach......

SilentCal

Sounds like you had a good trip BobR. I love that bench on Mt Tom. One of the White's perfect mellow out spots. The Willey Range Trail between Tom and Field is nice as well if you like ridgewalking. Happy Birthday!!!!

Vortex

We saw the sign for MT. Willey. Was it via the Willard trail? Just tired and worn out. If it was just me I would have kept going.
My son says hello. Thankx for the B-Day wish.

Edit Sorry I did use the Willey Range train from just past the Mt Tom spur to get to MT Field.

Vortex

Ya the view was awesome. I wish I had the camera to get the picuture of the Black Eyed Susans at the base and from Avalon. I don't think I will ever forget it. Thankx for the well wishes. Ow I found my camera today. One step at a time. :wink:

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
A little off topic....

Anyone else notice that besides SilentCal, and now myself, the rest of the posts in this topic are from Moderators. What's that saying about "chiefs" and "indians"?? I'm kidding, I'm kidding! :lol:

Happy Birthday Bob!

Vortex

Mind you.... I'm a skiing guy moderator. Props to SilentCal, He pm's me and keeps me in the loop on stuff.
Just a rookie here. Ya we need more hikers and more reports. I will be working on my next trip report Sat. :wink:
Ga2ski is hiking all week. He will be piping in with some reports. He and I talk hiking on the Sunday River Ski board as well.

SilentCal

I hardly post trip reports any more. If I did, I'd be posting way too much and not have time do other stuff. Skiers may rule the board but they would be dwarfed if the Flags on the 48 event Forum was still on this site.

Vortex

SilentCal said:
I hardly post trip reports any more. If I did, I'd be posting way too much and not have time do other stuff. Skiers may rule the board but they would be dwarfed if the Flags on the 48 event Forum was still on this site.

Who you calling a dwarf? :wink:

Nice Trip Bob

Having done the hike myself. i agree Avalon is a nice spot to poke your head out of the trees and see what you've done and where you are going (field/willey).

Happy belated 40th. :p

Sasquatch and ZeusMoose

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Nice Trip Bob

Sasquatch and ZeusMoose said:
Having done the hike myself. i agree Avalon is a nice spot to poke your head out of the trees and see what you've done and where you are going (field/willey).

Happy belated 40th. :p

Sasquatch and ZeusMoose

Welcome to the boards! Hope to see more of you! :D