• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bad news , I'm done.

Warp Daddy

:cry: After a visit to a team of REDO ortho surgeons in Saratoga the past two days and a battery of tests the Total Hip Replacement done 16 months ago has loosened uo in the femoral portion of the device . I have been in excruciating pain the past 5 days . For the past 16 months this has gotten progressively worse , first thay. Though a tendon was impinged , then they thought it was a nerve issue and after 2 nerve blocks and one libe shot no change .then it was thought to be a muscle. Issue . I did NOTHING to cause the loosening . No falls , no jumping , nothing

PROBLEM was diagnosed that the femoral part of the unit was TOO short . This was a judgement call during initial surgery basd on evaluations BUT being too short in did not angulate properly in the femoral bone cavity and moved causing additional bone growth at the top of the head of the unit causing mondo pain .

So the redo team has seen this many times , it is a team of 10 orthos , one of which is a former teammate of my son . They did a battery of test yestrday and today in Saratoga , iam now home 200 miles north and will have a bone density test then return for a final data analysis of all the tests and the talk about scheduling of a new surgery to replace the femoral unit . He will creat a small window on. The site and go in

so by the time this all heals ip and rehab is completed i will be 75 and have missed 2 1/2 seasons so returning to this even if a highly sucessful rehab will be a major lift . Golf will also be out probably this summer till this heals

so its been a good run , i am thankful for the past 40 plus yrs of sliding sports and will still hang out here to enjoy everyones experiences and of course to bust your chops,on

Scruffy

Sorry to hear about the issues with your hip replacement Warp. I hope you have a successful 2nd surgery and all goes well. As far as skiing in the future, never say never.

Good luck, keep us posted.

dlague

Sad to hear this too! Always enjoyed you input and you graciously shared your story and it was cool to see you return. Hope things go better this second time around. Best wishes!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
:(

Man, sorry to hear this Warp. I wish you the best with the new surgery and hope you beat all odds on best case scenarios of recovery.

mriceyman

Hey you can ski in your 80s.. keep your head up

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Sucks to get old and broken. I personally don't believe we're meant to grow and die. We were originally created, yes created, to live forever and ski forever without ever needing hip replacements. I also believe we will soon be restored to that condition.

If you want to know why I feel this way send a pm. In the meantime, keep your chin up. It ain't over til it's over.

Glenn

Hang in there Warp. Things may take a turn for the better down the road.

Warp Daddy

Thanks for the uplift guys , it is appreciated . I still have the desire and that hope will motivate me i am just preparing myself mentally for the possibility of it not happening .. My new dic is one of 20 and has a great national rep for this kind of surgery on this particular REDO.

Those of you who know me ,know i am a pretty positive ole dude and have beaucoup interests. This is another hurdle , but i have climbed the mountain of medical maladies for the past 8 yrs , that open heart was a breeze compared to these two surgeries and the pain . Also had two emergency hospitalizations this past fall for previously undiagnosed A flutter heart issues . One at Leahy clinic when i was visiting family on labor day the other a week later here at home . That now is under control but im getting tired of being unable to be the guy i was .

But frankly even with this nasty hip crap i stillplayed decent golf for an ole fart Yeah Doc still looking at hi 70s low 80's so it aint all bad . I will most likely miss this upcoming season tho . But i remain upbeat and will muddle through this one too.

dlague

Thanks for the uplift guys , it is appreciated . I still have the desire and that hope will motivate me i am just preparing myself mentally for the possibility of it not happening .. My new dic is one of 20 and has a great national rep for this kind of surgery on this particular REDO.

Those of you who know me ,know i am a pretty positive ole dude and have beaucoup interests. This is another hurdle , but i have climbed the mountain of medical maladies for the past 8 yrs , that open heart was a breeze compared to these two surgeries and the pain . Also had two emergency hospitalizations this past fall for previously undiagnosed A flutter heart issues . One at Leahy clinic when i was visiting family on labor day the other a week later here at home . That now is under control but im getting tired of being unable to be the guy i was .

But frankly even with this nasty hip crap i stillplayed decent golf for an ole fart Yeah Doc still looking at hi 70s low 80's so it aint all bad . I will most likely miss this upcoming season tho . But i remain upbeat and will muddle through this one too.

Crazy stuff - I wish you the best of luck!

ScottySkis

So sorry to hear this Warp.
Your health is most important now. You never know what life throws you crap something positive will come from it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk