• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

HGTV Dream House- Stowe, Vt

Morwax

no worries. for Stowe my wife and i both made the HGTV entry page our browser home page, we entered twice a day every day each. i wasn't going to do Denver but she (non-skier mind you) is making me enter for this one too.

when i win Denver i'll sell my home in Ct and use some $$ to get a 2nd place in the mountains. I'll get the CO Pass and ski mostly Abasin but also hit Breck occasionally. AZers will always be welcome to crash with us on any trip, just bring some beer.

Haha same here, Her and I would remind each other every morning while checking email etc..
Where have you found the info on Denver being the next build? Id do the $629 Vail epic pass as shes from Tahoe.:beer:

jaja111

Thanks for posting that link. I've started entering for the house. I'd love to get a house as nice as that in Denver. And then I started looking around at where this is and it gets sort of interesting.

Stapleton is a new 'burb of Denver being built on the old Denver airport grounds. Google Earth shows the area to be a land of undeveloped waste not far from downtown, with all sorts of consumeropolis built around it. What intrigued me most about what showed on the map and a blip mentioned in the Stapleton article on the HGTV website, was the adjacent Rocky Mountain Wildlife refuge. How awesome! A Huge parcel of park land right next to the home is a real bonus. And what did this refuge used to be?

Why it was the Rocky Mountains Chemical Weapons Arsenal Facility! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_Arsenal

What a "green" home! What a failure in good marketing. What's a little Willy Pete, Mustard Gas, Sarin, Napalm, etc. to ruin a true Dream Home? Yes, it actually is a toxic waste sight too. Within the RMA area a 11k foot well was drilled so Uncle Sam could pour his waste into the capped well. It was called Basin F. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basin_F

Some further reading of the horrors of RMA and Basin F: http://scorecard.goodguide.com/env-releases/land/site.tcl?epa_id=CO5210020769#threats

I'm still gonna enter.

Last edited:

jaja111

you can always take the payout instead of the house :-D

Oh, exactly. I will feel bad for the winner dreaming of moving to Denver and living in this groovy house. They get there and the neighbors all are hush about the "dirty secret"? Sad.

Morwax

Im going to enter but it wouldnt be a "dream home". I dont like the burbs and they probably wouldnt let this yankee keep his boat in the yard etc..

gmcunni

Green House sweepstakes closes today. i'm looking forward to living in Denver. ABasin is STILL OPEN!