• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

longest pair of boards you ever used?

dmc

207 K2 SLC

i tried race skis out once and they were super big... Maybe 215s but I don't recall anything except going really fast

2knees

Seeing how you ski bumps, I would say no way to that. I weigh 130-135 and feel that I would like something slightly longer than my 168's for the bumps, as long as the sidecut was minimal. Especially if the ski you're going to get is a skinny bump ski, I would say that 165 or less would be pretty terrifying when going over 20 mph.

The bump skis i bought this summer are 171cm. I guess i'll find out soon enough whether they are the right lenght or not. I know one thing, i dont want to go back to skiing bumps on those volkls i had monday.

bvibert

Staff member
The bump skis i bought this summer are 171cm. I guess i'll find out soon enough whether they are the right lenght or not. I know one thing, i dont want to go back to skiing bumps on those volkls i had monday.

I got the 181's and they're currently mounted with demo bindings if you'd like to do a comparison at some point once the bumps arrive at sundown... :)

Greg

Staff member

My K2s measure about 174 cm and I'm glad I opted for the longer ones over the mid-sized 164 cms. The bumps skis are squirrelly enough as it is. Fun as hell though. Lightweight and very quick to turn. You will have fun on them. I think a 171 is reasonable for your height/weight.

lloyd braun

I am 5'5 135lbs

in the old days I skied 195cm

Dynastar Vertical Assults
Dynastar Vertical V8s

I raced on Dynastar Course Super GS (gold with red ball at the tip) in a 207.

Current days

Dynastar "Inspired by Jeremy Nobis" 168 AT set up
Elan 777 in a 176 (new this year and unmounted cause we have NO snow)
K2 Axis Pro 174- rock ski
Volkl Mantra 177.

I have demoed skis up into the mid 180s but I don't have the weight to push them properly.

Sky

My first skis were my longest. Bought them when I learned to ski in Italy back in 1979.

210 Kniesel something-or-others. Egad they weighed a ton.

Dumped them before the millenium for 205 Kastle something-or-others. Vast improvement, still crap.

Dropped to 190 Atomic Beta Carves in 01. My first real ski. Loved them.

Dropped to 175 in 05. Volkl Supersport Superspeeds. *drool*

I demo'd K2 Apache Recons in a 171? a year ago and loved em.

bigbog

...$.01

Circa 1980s...
180-190s...of the Head rental family...the 190s were too stiff. 180cm = my formative boards. ....May the floppy noodles rest in peace!!;-)

Steve

Mildcat

I have to preface this by saying I'm only 5'6" and when I started skiing I was only 135 lbs. The third time I went skiing I was at Mt. Abrams on Prez day weekend and had to rent skis. It was so crowded by the time I got to the front of the line the only skis left were 210's. That was an adventure. I bought my first pair of skis after that.

Beetlenut

Had a pair of 205 Kastle SG skis in the early 90's
went down to a 190 Rossi 7S
then to a 180 Atomic BetaRide 9.22 - first shaped ski, very heavy but great ski!
then to a 168 Atomic C7
this year a 164 Atomic Snoop Daddy - still awaitng binders

SkiDork

207 K2 5500

I had purchased a pair of Spalding Sideral (anyone remeber those) 215s at a swap when I was a teenager for $20 but I never got them mounted. My parents gave me $hit when I brought them home... I guess they knew what they were talking about...

Geoff

207 K2 5500

I used to ski that 207 K2 5500 as my powder ski back in the day. I think I owned 4 pairs of them. They were a dentist and laywer ski so the 207 didn't sell very well and I could buy them dirt cheap. They made great poaching skis since I didn't care if I pulled an edge.

My longest boards ever were Rossi Equipe GS skis in a 212. I bought them used from a ski shop owner I used to work for back in college.

I owned tons of things in 205 and 207. A few Salomon cap skis like the 2S. K2 KVC. K2 710. Yamaha Paramount Custom SR. A honeycomb ski called Century. Dynaster Omeglass. Dynaster S-730. A string of Spaulding Siderals in high school that all broke after a couple of days. Spaulding Squadra Course. Kastle National Team SL.