• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

Black Phantom

I live stumbling distance to Brant Rock. Not likely to see decent waves by Saturday. Should be picking up Sunday. Not that Brant Rock is a bad place to be anyway.

Have a ski friend down your way. I haven't been down there in a long, long time. Good reason to catch up, have a few drinks, and get wet.:flag:

Hopefully your wall gets some quick love.

6e1ee1_082511stormmw001.jpg

Cannonball

Have a ski friend down your way. I haven't been down there in a long, long time. Good reason to catch up, have a few drinks, and get wet.:flag:

Hopefully your wall gets some quick love.

6e1ee1_082511stormmw001.jpg

Yeah, that photo is taken at the end of my street. They've got some BIG equipment on the beach. I'd imagine they are going to switch over from wall-work to epuipment-evac pretty soon.

Cannonball

Just took the dog for walk down on the beach. Crews are still hard at it trying to button up the new seawall. Channel 7 news is hanging around sniffing for disaster.

From just now...
picture.php

WJenness

Geoff, looks like your decision (that really wasn't your decision) to pull the boat is going to be the correct one... South coast looking to take this one right on the chin...

-w

drjeff

Geoff, looks like your decision (that really wasn't your decision) to pull the boat is going to be the correct one... South coast looking to take this one right on the chin...

-w

I'm guessing that along the entire Southern New England Coast until Irene hits, the only time that a travel lift won't be in use is when they pause for a few minutes to put some more fuel in its tank

WJenness

I'm guessing that along the entire Southern New England Coast until Irene hits, the only time that a travel lift won't be in use is when they pause for a few minutes to put some more fuel in its tank

Agreed... Probably true all the way down the coast...

I wouldn't want to leave my boat in the water in NJ or the Chesapeake either...

-w

SkiDork

Marina is still recommending leaving in the water. They're saying I'd be more susceptible to damage if on blocks.

gmcunni

The CT govt forecast -
Irene is forecast to move up along the immediate
East Coast and arrive in the Norwalk area around 10:00
AM Sunday morning as a Category I hurricane. The first
effects from Irene are still expected to begin Saturday
afternoon with light rain which is expected to become
heavy at times by midnight. Heavy rain is expected to
continue from midnight on Saturday through the passage
of the center of Irene Sunday morning (especially in
Western Connecticut). Tropical storm force winds are
expected to enter the state around midnight Saturday
night and hurricane force winds are expected just after
daybreak on Sunday. Although forecast confidence is
getting better with each update, Irene is still 2 days away
and additional changes to the track forecast are possible

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Is anyone actually doing anything drastic? I was just gonna drop the hanging plants and bring in my patio umbrella.

Is anyone acxtually boarding up windows or anything?

Geoff

Marina is still recommending leaving in the water. They're saying I'd be more susceptible to damage if on blocks.

Sorry, but when you get a 10 foot storm surge at a moon high tide with 100 mph winds, everything is going to lift up over the pilings and get destroyed. I hope the insurance is paid up.