• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Is anyone actually doing anything drastic? I was just gonna drop the hanging plants and bring in my patio umbrella.

Is anyone acxtually boarding up windows or anything?
A lot of store fronts are covered with plywood today on the east end of LI. I moved everything inside thats not nailed down.

SkiDork

Sorry, but when you get a 10 foot storm surge at a moon high tide with 100 mph winds, everything is going to lift up over the pilings and get destroyed. I hope the insurance is paid up.

including the boats on blocks.

Glenn

The news is going nuts tonight. We have a lot to do in VT. Stuff is ok in CT. We'll button things up there later tomorrow.

Lighter traffic heading up to VT tonight. Hopefully, it'll be light tomorrow for the trip south.

Be safe everyone.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hey Cannonball

just curious, where do you store the baby Oysters for an event like this? How long can you keep them in such a facility?

Cannonball

Hey Cannonball

just curious, where do you store the baby Oysters for an event like this? How long can you keep them in such a facility?

Walk-in coolers for a 1-2 days. Have to temporarily breakdown a nursery. Hauling out as late as possible tomorrow. Which is mostly out of my control, more based on tides and travel lift availability. Will breakdown, haul out, cold-store, then hope to be back up and running in the water by Monday.

Second stage nursery is out in the water. That's too much gear and product to haul.
Just have to hope for the best. That has the opposite problem most people are worried about. In that case, it's the 50kt SE at LOW tide that will be the killer. Waves tend to roll past the gear on the highs...beat it up on the lows. Not much to do but drink a coldie and watch from the shore.

These are the ones stressing me right now.....
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Black Phantom

Walk-in coolers for a 1-2 days. Have to temporarily breakdown a nursery. Hauling out as late as possible tomorrow. Which is mostly out of my control, more based on tides and travel lift availability. Will breakdown, haul out, cold-store, then hope to be back up and running in the water by Monday.

How is the surf looking? Worth taking a ride for?

Good luck getting everything out safely.

Black Phantom

Flat-ass calm on Buzzards Bay. I just mowed the crabgrass. I can't believe how humid it is.

Same here in town. No wind. Real Sticky. Quiet in the Inner Harbor.

Cannonball is busting his ass. I hope this thing isn't overblown. Better safe than sorry.

Where are the live reports from VT?:evil:

Cannonball

How is the surf looking? Worth taking a ride for?

Good luck getting everything out safely.

No surf anywhere in Marshfield right now. Barely any wind and SW at that.

Interesting differences around the South Shore right now. I was at the harbors in Kingston, Duxbury, and Green Harbor (Marshfield) this morning. Kingston and Dux are going crazy with hauling boats. Hundreds of boats and all of the floats came out of Duxbury in the past 3 days. But in Green Harbor pretty much all of the boats are still in. Some prep is going on but not even close to the level of Duxbury and Kingston.

I'm out. All my gear is either hauled or tucked safely away. Now just wait and watch. About 20 oyster floats and town docks rafted together make for a great place to ride out the storm....

picture.php

picture.php

Cannonball

Same here in town. No wind. Real Sticky. Quiet in the Inner Harbor.

Cannonball is busting his ass. I hope this thing isn't overblown. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah, it's been 3 days of ass busting. Done now! PBR tallboys calling to me.

On the one had you hate to do it for nothing. On the other hand I'd be plenty happy to see the thing fizzle and not do any damage. But I do like a good storm....