• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Irene

Geoff

Is anybody else tracking this storm? The Nat'l Hurricane Center keeps moving the storm track to the east. Another 50 miles and it will skirt Hatteras and head for the Northeast.

145015W5_NL_sm.gif

wa-loaf

Keeping my eye on it. My daughter will be at camp on the cape this weekend.

Glenn

I'll be watching it now. Didn't realize it was going even farther east....

Geoff

Awesome. Guess I'm gooing to have to figure out how to rig my sailboat to keep it on its mooring

Part of the contract for my boat slip is that I have to haul it if there's a tropical storm. Sucks when you have to haul the boat right before Labor Day. It's tough to justify putting it back in the water.

drjeff

Awesome. Guess I'm gooing to have to figure out how to rig my sailboat to keep it on its mooring

Yup :mad: I've been talking back and forth with my Dad today about his boat which he docks in Wakefield, RI (just around the corner from Quonset Point). It's looking its its going from what on Saturday was going to be a family day of boating on Narragansett Bay followed up with his boat yards annual customer appreciation clambake in the afternoon to how many lines can we tie the boat up with vs. haul it.

The good thing is track wise, is that in the last 24 hours its gone from looking like the mid Florida Pennisula was going to take the hit to a shift to the East in the track, if this continues to trend this way in the coming day, the New England Coast could be in for just some good swells. Gotta hope now that the high pressure system that's overhead now gets far enough offshore between now and the weekend to help pull Irene further East and maybe if we're real lucky spare all of the Eastern seaboard a direct hit!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Part of the contract for my boat slip is that I have to haul it if there's a tropical storm. Sucks when you have to haul the boat right before Labor Day. It's tough to justify putting it back in the water.

I thought part of the reason you chose to settle in Dartmouth was to extend your boating season into October?

Is it that much of a pain in the ass to take it out of the water for a weekend? Well, unless you have one big ass boat that requires a substantial trailer.

Geoff

I thought part of the reason you chose to settle in Dartmouth was to extend your boating season into October?

Is it that much of a pain in the ass to take it out of the water for a weekend? Well, unless you have one big ass boat that requires a substantial trailer.

I don't have a trailer. My boat is hauled by travel lift.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My in-laws are in Myrtle Beach, SC. Supposed to fly home tomorrow night, looks like they will beat the storm out. Hopefully it doesn't damage their (1st floor) condo.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Irene

So Irene is headed up the coast. God, I wish this was winter and the temps were in the 20s. 6" rain in Beantown and 18" in Philly aren't going to do anyone any good.
:dontknow:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
sorry, I opened a new thread in Weather.

I sure wish it was winter and the temps were in the 20's. What a wonderful world it would be.

:daffy:

Who needs 6-12" of rain?:evil:

My bro has lived in Wilmington NC for 25 years. He's handled them all. This is kinda like a blizzard to us. The only time he ran for it was when he worked for a mobile home dealer and they had to tote all their homes 100 miles inland for shelter. :(

weather.com has the most sensational reportage. I always go for the forecast I like instead of the correct one~ :(

Glenn

Hopefully, it'll keep tracking east. Right now, it's a direct path towards New England.

drjeff

Right now, I need to make arrangements to get my boat hauled.

Yup! That shift in the track overnight, if it was to stay there would give quite a blow to where you store your boat for sure! :eek: With any given luck, Irene will keep shifting East over the next few days and get you on the West side of the eye.

I am kind of laughing a bit, as one of my assistants has tickets for Sunday show of the Kenny Chesney/Country Music Festival at Gillette Stadium. Supposed to start at 5PM, just about when this morning's NOAA update has Irene pretty much right over SE New England. She's gone from an outfit of a country dress and cowboy boots to full all out goretex wrap and big rain boots!