• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Propane for heating

Glenn

Vermont also has a big electricity problem that's only going to get worse when Vermont Yankee closes. It's making snowmaking very expensive at the ski resorts and they're often not allowed to make snow on those peak heating days that are perfect for blowing snow.

Good point. And tossing a bunch of "high efficiency" snowguns at the problem won't solve it.

nmashburn

That monitor is pretty cool... I'd have to change my existing propane gauge... My tanks are fairly accessible and I've never had an issue taking a look at the level. The company we use has been good with delivering when we need it.

This is helpful feedback. Our remote propane monitor is more than likely compatible with your tank and float assembly, it's just the $10 gauge face that needs to be swapped out.

If you're consistent with your consumption and your propane supplier is a good guesstimator or conservative to make sure you don't run out, then I agree it's not going to prevent you from running out. Second home owners of places like ski houses seem to be the most interested consumers and we've had a few dozen pre-purchases through the kickstarter, but the propane suppliers may ultimately be the folks that benefit the most. If you're already reaching out to your supplier for something, I'd appreciate a mention. Since we'd help them reduce any extra delivery attempts and reduce their costs, you may benefit indirectly.

Glenn

Now there's something I didn't think of....suppliers. Sure, they have access to the modeling program. But how nice would it be for them to be able to check the actual tank? Doesn't get more accurate than that.

I'll certainly keep this in mind. I see nothing wrong with another thing I can monitor remotely.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I don't have propane but I think it is time to turn on the furnace. This was taken yesterday morning. I had a fire going during the day and had it back up to 70 by evening.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 15505321448_6457e277c4.jpg
    15505321448_6457e277c4.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 117

Glenn

This is helpful feedback. Our remote propane monitor is more than likely compatible with your tank and float assembly, it's just the $10 gauge face that needs to be swapped out.

If you're consistent with your consumption and your propane supplier is a good guesstimator or conservative to make sure you don't run out, then I agree it's not going to prevent you from running out. Second home owners of places like ski houses seem to be the most interested consumers and we've had a few dozen pre-purchases through the kickstarter, but the propane suppliers may ultimately be the folks that benefit the most. If you're already reaching out to your supplier for something, I'd appreciate a mention. Since we'd help them reduce any extra delivery attempts and reduce their costs, you may benefit indirectly.

Now that we have feet of snow in VT, this monitor is becoming a more viable idea! Just signed up for your newsletter. I'll look into contacting my provider about the possibility of installing something like this on their tanks.

AdironRider

I don't have propane but I think it is time to turn on the furnace. This was taken yesterday morning. I had a fire going during the day and had it back up to 70 by evening.
attachment.php

I like waking up to 57-59, but my current digs are a 400 square foot log cabin so it takes all of 20 minutes to warm up.

Cannonball

attachment.php

This is funny. We keep our house at 57 all of the time. Except when we go out we turn it to 54. Sometimes if we're just sitting around being inactive we kick it up to 60!