Foliage in New England

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 80
  1. #1

    Foliage in New England

    In the past I've tried to catch at least one climb in the White's during folliage season. It's been a few years, though, since I've actually done it. I figure the next few weeks should be the best time. When I worked in the Green mtns on the Sugarbush G.C., I remember seeing snow around this date in Sept. I also remember the folliage peaking only through about 6 days. Consequently, I think the exact dates to plan on hiking would be of interest here.


  2. #2
    I noticed last weekend that the valleys off of Franconia Notch were starting to turn. The state of NH has a web site that charts foliage status and it looks like now for the far north and the Conn. River valley, and the next couple weeks for the Whites.
    Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. - Dave Barry
    Waterville 11/30; Loon 12/7; Cannon 12/13, 1/17, 2/23; Sugarloaf 12/20, 21-22; Bretton Woods 1/3; Jay Peak 1/24-25; Heavenly 2/9; Squaw Valley 2/10-2/11; Wachusett 3/3; Sunday River 3/7-8

  3. #3
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    26,277
    Items for Sale
    NEK is getting there. Willoughby area was almost peak last weekend.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  4. #4
    Nowadays you don't have to be there to check the foliage status, there are webcams everywhere. To check the Mad River Valley go to www.madrivervalley.com. BTW the MRV chamber has predicted that peak foliage will be on October 10th.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com

    " Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all -- in which case, you fail by default,"

    To beat the grim reaper in life it's not about how long you live but how you live it.

  5. #5
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    26,277
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer View Post
    Nowadays you don't have to be there to check the foliage status, there are webcams everywhere. To check the Mad River Valley go to www.madrivervalley.com. BTW the MRV chamber has predicted that peak foliage will be on October 10th.
    Boy that seems awful late considering what I have been seeing....
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  6. #6
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Boy that seems awful late considering what I have been seeing....
    Gonna be an early Fall...even at my house near Poughkeepsie, NY the leaves are changing colors full force and we have alot of leaves down already. It was a wet summer compared to last year. We had late rain last Fall and the leaves hung in to take advantage. This year, the ground is saturated and I think the leaves are falling early to minimize transpiration so the trees hold onto the water.

  7. #7
    Here in this part of Vermont we have about 20% to peak. There should be a jump in the next few days as temps will be cold at night. You guys have any pics?
    www.firstlightphotographics.com

    " Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all -- in which case, you fail by default,"

    To beat the grim reaper in life it's not about how long you live but how you live it.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Gonna be an early Fall...even at my house near Poughkeepsie, NY the leaves are changing colors full force and we have alot of leaves down already. It was a wet summer compared to last year. We had late rain last Fall and the leaves hung in to take advantage. This year, the ground is saturated and I think the leaves are falling early to minimize transpiration so the trees hold onto the water.
    Same here in Southbury, CT. We have some nice colors going on and a ton of leaves on the ground. Raking leaves will be so much more fun this year. We went from .33 acres to 1.09.

  9. #9
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    9,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21 View Post
    Raking leaves will be so much more fun this year. We went from .33 acres to 1.09.
    2.5 wooded acres here, lots of leaves.

    I admire your enthusiasm for leaf raking...I'll be looking forward to your take on it after a few years of cleaning an acre of them up.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    2.5 wooded acres here, lots of leaves.

    I admire your enthusiasm for leaf raking...I'll be looking forward to your take on it after a few years of cleaning an acre of them up.
    We started looking at houses on 2+ acres. We were really close to building a place on a 7 acre lot. But after talking to a number of people we decided that 1 acre would be plenty to maintain.

    It will only take me one season to sort things out. If its as bad as it seems I will be buying a blower for next season. I just love buying tools and lawn equipment.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:32 PM.