• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Foliage in New England

loafer89

Near 100% color change in Coventry and on route 31 south and 44 west just east of Bolton especially in the higher hills above 500'. The Mass border is near peak, while the Connecticut coast and Long Island are mostly still green.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Southern Vermont appears to be past peak, still pockets of peak in Northern Massachusetts, though many West and South faces are balder than Telly Savalas.

Greg

Staff member
We'll be at peak in Litchfield County this week. We had a fungal outbreak on many of the maples due to the wet early summer so some of the maples are kind of blah.

hammer

Saw some color yesterday at Quechee Gorge (when I could look past all the other tourists:-?) and around Mount Sunapee.

So far, through, it doesn't look like one of the better years...

Mike P.

I was on the AT south of I-90 in MA at Upper Goose Pond Thurdsay on 10/5 (the cabin is a gem BTW) & while there was substantial color already on the trail, there was still some green, not sure it will last until the weekend of 10/14-15 though.

Following week I'm in PA, maybe get a short hike on the AT in PA & see if any color there.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Northern NH was in glorious color for Columbus Day weekend. I'll be posting a TR and full album sometime later this week, but here's a preview:

CRW_9268-small.jpg

kbroderick

Just saw this thread...it's definitely past peak now at 2100'+ in Chittenden County, Vermont; anyone who is particularly interested should feel free to check out my September hiking and October hiking galleries.

Here's one example shot from last weekend:
20061007_MG_5976.jpg

You can see that there's still quite a bit of color left, but you can also see a lot of bare branches.

bigbog

Columbus Day wkend.....

....We had a fungal outbreak on many of the maples due to the wet early summer so some of the maples are kind of blah.
Huge amount of maples with fungus as well...up in central-to-northern Maine...so much rain in both May and June.
Pockets of colors north of MRG with the expected larger % of beautiful color southward....as we ended up in the Dover area. Sadly, got back to NH too late in the day to get up close to colors...so just stayed on the highway(insert_Yawn), but nice (NW_facing) views of Presidential peaks/contour.

Steve

Bubbartzky

...So far, through, it doesn't look like one of the better years...

Au contraire mon ami...it has been a great year for color here around Killington and central VT, down along 89 heading toward 93 and more. It's just that we peaked earlier than normal, or so it seems. This was taken on 9/16 across Killington's Snowshed pond

2874148720097081831MMmTPk_ph.jpg

loafer89

Coventry is at peak color stage today, though the rain from tonight will probably strip alot of leaves from the trees.

Near peak color is found along I-91 from Cromwell on north.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Although it's past peak there still is mucho color in them thar hills of the MRV. Expored on the west side of the Greens yesterday in the upper Champlain Valley and founds lots of awesome color especially around the Bristol area. After the Thursday rain will go out for some pics.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
We're peak in NW Mass right now...lots of reds, oranges, and golds, and still some greens in the mix. The best colour appears on the north/western faces of mountains mostly.

Greg

Staff member
I took this picture yesterday from my front door of our community and the fall color:

Foliage.jpg

NICE flat lot! When we bought our house, it was a house on a dirt lot. We've made some progress, but still a long way to go. I feel for you and all the work you have ahead of you!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
NICE flat lot! When we bought our house, it was a house on a dirt lot. We've made some progress, but still a long way to go. I feel for you and all the work you have ahead of you!
I have never bought a house with no landscaping but I like the idea of a blank slate. In my current home I had to spend thousands taking down huge trees and pulling out tons of crap. One mistake I see people make as what happend with the last owner of my house is that they plant way to many trees. After ten years go by they realize they should have planted about half of what they did.

loafer89

Your house must be the first house up?

Actually there are more houses up and down the street, but right now I only have a neighbor to the left of the picture on my side of the street. My builder does not like to construct houses during the winter so the open lots that you see will be built next spring.

The community that I live in now was scratch built with 21 homes in it, but only about 1/2 where built when we moved in. I put alot of time and money into our house and now I get to do it all over again, though this time I have more than twice the land at 1.3 acres.

Here is my house as of 10/11/06:

House.jpg