• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Foliage in New England

loafer89

NICE flat lot! When we bought our house, it was a house on a dirt lot. We've made some progress, but still a long way to go. I feel for you and all the work you have ahead of you!

The builder is a really nice guy, unlike the one we used here on Long Island, and he knows that I like to garden so he put a bit of effort into grading our plot.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Just got back from Burlington where there are copius amounts of brilliant color still left to be enjoyed. So much so that I bought some more film as there are still images to be had around B-town and the Champlain Valley. This year the color seems to be spread over a longer period of time and areas are peaking at diferent times in the same area.

loafer89

Here are some pictures from southern New England and New York:

Port Jefferson this morning, the color is just starting:

PortJefferson.jpg

Lake Coventry 10/18/06:

LakeCoventry.jpg

Central Park 10/22/06:

CentralPark.jpg

Greg

Staff member
CT foliage was at peak this past weekendand week. Southern ct will probably be at peak this coming weekend. Probably fro mhartford south.
Depends on elevation. North of Waterbury - probably 50% bare trees, 25% dull color, 25% vibrant color. South of Waterbury is still pretty nice. A lot of the oaks have turned so there's a more widespread color of purples, oranges and browns. Seems like the foliage season lasted longer than normal this year...

loafer89

Since I do the commute every week from Port Jefferson to Bloomfield I can report about the 1-95 and 1-91 corridor. As of 10/25 peak color was around Berlin/Rocky Hill and south to Bridgeport. Where I live on Long Island we have about 50% color change, but it is changing fast. I think the color will hold out for another two weeks or so at the coast.

Greg

Staff member
After this weekend, the only leaves left up here are brown ones on the white oaks and even 50% of those are down. Our winter views are back and the purple-brown hills in the distance are getting ready for snow.

Mike P.

Oddly, Sunday AM with the sun just coming up, at one spot on the side of the Riga Plateau north of Race Brook Falls trail, I got a nice picture of mostly oaks but the way the light was shining at 6:40 AM, the colors were pretty good. (From Route 41 on my bike)

If I can figure out how to paste the picture in here I will, if nat maybe I'll Email the picture to Greg to see if he can do it for me.

Greg

Staff member
If I can figure out how to paste the picture in here I will, if nat maybe I'll Email the picture to Greg to see if he can do it for me.

Start playing with the Gallery. Info here. Once you get the pic uploaded, it will show you the

loafer89

As of this morning peak foliage was found around coastal Connecticut and on I-91 south of Rocky Hill. The hill tops around Middlefield are 90% bare and coventry is 75% - bare. The rain and wind from the storm on saturday stripped off alot of foliage.

Long Island is nearing peak color this week, with peak occuring this weekend.

Last edited:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
The upper elevations in the Green Mountains north of Killington have fully lost their leaves and are snow-covered. The lower elevations have some oaks here and there but the western slopes got well stripped in the huge winds on Saturday.

Mike P.

Does this work? Dial up is slow, I'll add Race Brook Falls tonight or tomorrow

100_1604.JPG

eatskisleep

How about a few pictures from North Conway...

New Hampshire
Eric checking out the roller and his line

Eric dropping into the first of many rollers on the trail

Chris hitting a drop

Chris on the log ride

From the top of Black Cap

One of the most beautiful views I have ever seen, not to mention the best biking I have ever done thus far.

eatskisleep

Now looking back up at Black Cap from more than 600 feet below, you can see where the rolling ledge is where the above pictures were taken.

Now the view from the top of Cranmore was great too:

snowconehead

Those are interesting pics, not just for the folliage. I have never skied Cranmore, but I know the Conway area well. Thanks.