• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Foliage in New England

snowkiter

In the past I've tried to catch at least one climb in the White's during folliage season. It's been a few years, though, since I've actually done it. I figure the next few weeks should be the best time. When I worked in the Green mtns on the Sugarbush G.C., I remember seeing snow around this date in Sept. I also remember the folliage peaking only through about 6 days. Consequently, I think the exact dates to plan on hiking would be of interest here.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I noticed last weekend that the valleys off of Franconia Notch were starting to turn. The state of NH has a web site that charts foliage status and it looks like now for the far north and the Conn. River valley, and the next couple weeks for the Whites.

JimG.

Staff member
Boy that seems awful late considering what I have been seeing....

Gonna be an early Fall...even at my house near Poughkeepsie, NY the leaves are changing colors full force and we have alot of leaves down already. It was a wet summer compared to last year. We had late rain last Fall and the leaves hung in to take advantage. This year, the ground is saturated and I think the leaves are falling early to minimize transpiration so the trees hold onto the water.

Grassi21

Gonna be an early Fall...even at my house near Poughkeepsie, NY the leaves are changing colors full force and we have alot of leaves down already. It was a wet summer compared to last year. We had late rain last Fall and the leaves hung in to take advantage. This year, the ground is saturated and I think the leaves are falling early to minimize transpiration so the trees hold onto the water.

Same here in Southbury, CT. We have some nice colors going on and a ton of leaves on the ground. Raking leaves will be so much more fun this year. We went from .33 acres to 1.09.

JimG.

Staff member
Raking leaves will be so much more fun this year. We went from .33 acres to 1.09.

2.5 wooded acres here, lots of leaves.

I admire your enthusiasm for leaf raking...I'll be looking forward to your take on it after a few years of cleaning an acre of them up.

Grassi21

I admire your enthusiasm for leaf raking...I'll be looking forward to your take on it after a few years of cleaning an acre of them up.

We started looking at houses on 2+ acres. We were really close to building a place on a 7 acre lot. But after talking to a number of people we decided that 1 acre would be plenty to maintain.

It will only take me one season to sort things out. If its as bad as it seems I will be buying a blower for next season. I just love buying tools and lawn equipment.

noski

Boy that seems awful late considering what I have been seeing....

...gulp...uh. um. er...I am fervantly hoping for sunshine and NO clouds for the next 3 weeks. Sun will slow down the leaves significantly. Maybe the snow prediction that is part of Peak Day celebration will prove more accurate.

snowkiter

Leaves

My Dad found this machine called a Billygoat which has a big gasoline engine and vacumns leaves into a bag. It works great on my property which has lots of oaks and pines. He bought it at Gavin's in Grafton, Ma. outside of Worcester.

JimG.

Staff member
My Dad found this machine called a Billygoat which has a big gasoline engine and vacumns leaves into a bag. It works great on my property which has lots of oaks and pines. He bought it at Gavin's in Grafton, Ma. outside of Worcester.

I rented one...they work great!

But between my riding mower, weedwacker, leaf blower, and the Billygoat I feel like I'm personally responsible for global climate change. So I don't use the Billygoat. The whole family gets out there when the leaves are more or less down and we rake up piles, then break out the big tarp and remove them. It goes by fairly fast, it's a great workout for everyone, and it's actually kind of fun.

When you have to do it alone it is utter drudgery though.

Grassi21

The whole family gets out there when the leaves are more or less down and we rake up piles, then break out the big tarp and remove them. It goes by fairly fast, it's a great workout for everyone, and it's actually kind of fun.

The wife and I take the same approach. We rake everything into big piles and let the fun ensue. For us the fun part is watching our two dogs sprinting through the piles of leaves like maniacs. It takes a little longer to get the leaves off the ground but the pics and video we have are priceless.

Greg

Staff member
We have an acre. About half to 3/4 of that actually needs to be raked. We have several HUGE oak trees on the property so raking is a real drag. I'm considering renting a push leaf blower (the 2 cycle carry one I have is only good enough to blow grass clippings off the driveway). Home Depot sells them for about $450, but I think I want to try one first before committing. Raking sucks no matter which way you look at it and I'm a guy who loves mowing, yard word, shoveling snow, etc...

Leaves are really starting to change this week.

Jellis

I hire the high school kid down the street to rake my yard. I have 4.5 acres but only about 2 of it needs to be raked. I use to rake, have the backpack blowers and all.. but truth be told, hiring him is the BEST $50 bucks I can spend every fall and spring! :lol:

hammer

We have an acre. About half to 3/4 of that actually needs to be raked. We have several HUGE oak trees on the property so raking is a real drag. I'm considering renting a push leaf blower (the 2 cycle carry one I have is only good enough to blow grass clippings off the driveway). Home Depot sells them for about $450, but I think I want to try one first before committing. Raking sucks no matter which way you look at it and I'm a guy who loves mowing, yard word, shoveling snow, etc...

Leaves are really starting to change this week.
Does anyone use their mower/tractor to pick up leaves?

I usually get my leaves with the mower and tractor at the end of the season when I do the last mowing, but I only have some birches and a few smaller trees so I don't have a whole bunch of leaves.

Oh, and you can put me on record as one who hates yard work...I like having a yard, but I really wish it would just take care of itself. :???:

JimG.

Staff member
Does anyone use their mower/tractor to pick up leaves?

I do, but only after we rake the majority and remove them with the tarp...otherwise, my mower's bagger becomes a gagger.

I just have too many leaves to make picking them all up that way efficient.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
things are starting to light up around here. i would say near peak in about a week. though the wind today and incoming cold probably won't help. probably going to be an early season this year.

Jellis

I was gonna post a picture of the color here but the attachment icon isnt working? or am i not doing it right?