September spam-athon

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

September spam-athon

Hey Nick, There's a lot of spammers showing up this month. I see you shoot them right away but.... what happened?

Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

We invited them to artificially boost the traffic numbers to the site...

Seriously no clue, I guess they just recognize how awesome AZ is???
    Brian

Chinese hackers
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2016/17
    MT Snow - 12.30 1.7 1.29 2.4 2.11
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

Revenge of FullerWycliff. Take that clouderators!

Last edited by Glenn; Sep 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM. Reason: speeling
    "I like homemade food. I just do."

I might ban some more IP addresses. They have been blasting the site. Luckily it's easy to purge all the posts at once, but they get 20, 30 posts in a few minutes.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Do you have some type of "flood control" enabled?
    "I like homemade food. I just do."

i hate spammers.

i do love the sunshine and free power it provides.

a nice sunny day here in my neighborhood. i think i'll work on my tan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I might ban some more IP addresses. They have been blasting the site. Luckily it's easy to purge all the posts at once, but they get 20, 30 posts in a few minutes.
    Hi Nick,

I've tried IP Ban on my site, but they infest so many machines that it become impossible. You may need to gate who gets accepted as a member.

Thanks,
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Banning IP addresses isn't the way to go. I've been very lucky getting mine down to almost nothing (DHS is the exception ) and the few that come through aren't seen by the membership unless I want them to be, some are entertaining.

Here's what I learned, of course all phpBB stuff, but I'm sure it can be translated to vBulletin:

Most spammer use UTC - 12 (Baker Island Time) as their Timezone, I put code in to automatically delete anyone using this timezone (no on lives there), code is as follows:

if ($data['tz'] == -12.00)
    {
    die('Die, bot! Die.');

That cut spammers greatly, but didn't get rid of them all. Some came through with a +12, which I think is like New Zealand/Fiji through that into the code as well, That cut spammers to about 10%. Not sure what vBulletin has, but phpBB has a setting for new members, where you choose how many posts you allow them to make before they become regular members. Doing this, any posts they make needs to be reviewed by me to be allowed or not. When I see this, I check it out, if it look real, I take them out of the new member group, if not, I delete. Hope this helps. But believe me, you will go nuts trying to ban IPs

This forum does have the option of having posts from new users approved by the Admin or Moderators. Both under Greg and Nick, we've discussed employing the feature, but decided against it.

As annoying as spam is, it's somewhat unwelcoming to new members to have to wait to post, especially given the last minute Beta needed in the sport of skiing. This site gets lots of traffic through google for people looking for last minute updates on ski conditions, deals being offered by ski areas or even sales on gear . Greg was very involved on the site as Admin, Nick equally so. We have a large moderating staff that could approve new posts but, we're not always here.

It would suck for someone if they found Alpinzone via google on a Thursday night because they booked a family vacation for the weekend and Friday morning beta from the resorts says mixed precip, when in actuality there is heavy rain and it might make sense for someone to cancel their plans. If by chance one of us is not around to approve their post, it would be a disservice to the new member to not get the Beta from the community that they're looking for. So, that delay could mean they may not come back to the site in the future.

Spam does suck. It does happen several times a day on this site these days. Some of your suggestions on settings might really help lessen the spam here a lot Andy. Overall though, I'd say the average lifespan of a spambot on Alpinezone is under an hour. From 5AM to 2AM pretty much everyday, either Nick or a mod will be on and it takes 5 seconds to delete the spam and ban the spambot.

Appreciate your feedback though. I'm the least computer savvy of all on the AZ staff. Perhaps some of the controls you suggest could help reduce the amount of spam we delete.

Thread Information