• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wtf ?

bvibert

Staff member
Or off. Mentally, at least. It amazes me that people will post such blatantly ignorant, racist, and stupid comments, with their pictures there, on Facebook, for all the world to see. I mean, probably better than posting them anonymously, but amazing that they're posting at all. To go through the effort to type up a thought like those, without ever taking the small extra step of actually thinking about the stupidity you are spewing.

I find it offensive that mentioning sand constitutes a muslim joke. I like going to the beach. Does that make me Islamic? How does that work if the Mormons want to convert me posthumously? Where will my eternal soul rest? I mean, after I get off my one way flight to hell. Window seat, please.

It's disheartening when I read comments like that and realize just how ignorant and intolerant some of my 'fellow' Americans are.

Now, that said, the person who complained about the sign should harden the eff up, and stop complaining. There's zero reason that sign should have been taken down.

ctenidae

It's disheartening when I read comments like that and realize just how ignorant and intolerant some of my 'fellow' Americans are.

Now, that said, the person who complained about the sign should harden the eff up, and stop complaining. There's zero reason that sign should have been taken down.

I just wonder, too, was it a legitimate complaint? Did she express, through whatever channels may be deemed appropriate, her concerns? Were they hers alone, or supported by a local Islamic group? If it was a single person making a single comment, then pulling the sign down was awfully weak kneed. This is America, after all, and while you're entitled to your opinion, until there are a lot of you expressing it it's just your opinion.

Puck it

I just wonder, too, was it a legitimate complaint? Did she express, through whatever channels may be deemed appropriate, her concerns? Were they hers alone, or supported by a local Islamic group? If it was a single person making a single comment, then pulling the sign down was awfully weak kneed. This is America, after all, and while you're entitled to your opinion, until there are a lot of you expressing it it's just your opinion.

The whole thing is a bunch of bullshit. I am sick of the whole we need to be understandable to the others. He is a good damn sign. Don't look at it. Go a different route. I am so fed up with the crap. What about my right to look at the sign?

bvibert

Staff member

I wonder that too. The story makes it sound like she was the single complainer, but you know how thorough and unbiased journalism is these days. Even if she was backed by her religious community, I still think the complaint is BS. The sign wasn't hurting anyone.

Puck it

I wonder that too. The story makes it sound like she was the single complainer, but you know how thorough and unbiased journalism is these days. Even if she was backed by her religious community, I still think the complaint is BS. The sign wasn't hurting anyone.

Off topic a little, but a little relevant. If there is a really is war on woman, wouldn't the Islam be in the crosshairs.

ctenidae

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/20141119_ap_9b946752f29445a8bc695df9c27bb5ef.html

I'm incredibly torn on this issue. Part of me blames the ongoing militarization of police, part of me thinks gun sales ought to be better regulated, part of me supports people's right to self defense, part of me doesn't consider the average all-of-a-sudden gun buyer capable of responsible ownership, part of me thinks the store owners ought to limit sales, part of me thinks free enterprise uber alles and let them sell everything they can.

I'm a little disturbed overall by the sense of glee I'm getting from the store owner quotes, but then, you'd expect an Easter bunny store owner to be excited at news the Bunny was coming for a visit, too. I'm also disturbed by the visits to the TacticalGear warehouse by Troopers, but then, can't really blame them for wanting to be prepared. But then, you can sort of blame that preparedness mentality for the situation occurring in the first place.

I recognize this gets close to a political post (I'm all over both sides and the middle on this one), but it is a WTF article in that a Podunk place in the dead center of the country has the potential to be a tinderbox setting off all kinds of shit all over everywhere. Or, it won't.

Puck it

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/20141119_ap_9b946752f29445a8bc695df9c27bb5ef.html

I'm incredibly torn on this issue. Part of me blames the ongoing militarization of police, part of me thinks gun sales ought to be better regulated, part of me supports people's right to self defense, part of me doesn't consider the average all-of-a-sudden gun buyer capable of responsible ownership, part of me thinks the store owners ought to limit sales, part of me thinks free enterprise uber alles and let them sell everything they can.

I'm a little disturbed overall by the sense of glee I'm getting from the store owner quotes, but then, you'd expect an Easter bunny store owner to be excited at news the Bunny was coming for a visit, too. I'm also disturbed by the visits to the TacticalGear warehouse by Troopers, but then, can't really blame them for wanting to be prepared. But then, you can sort of blame that preparedness mentality for the situation occurring in the first place.

I recognize this gets close to a political post (I'm all over both sides and the middle on this one), but it is a WTF article in that a Podunk place in the dead center of the country has the potential to be a tinderbox setting off all kinds of shit all over everywhere. Or, it won't.

Most definitely a problem festering.

tree_skier

The gun control nuts will be out in force over this but the plain truth of the matter is the gun issue didn't cause the problem in Ferguson, but the good citizens of the area see guns as an avenue for their safety.