• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Widest Ski you will take into East Coast Trees?

Black Phantom

Yeah, I had played with it but I'm not sure if I ever actually noticed a difference.

f3c0ca230ea4698a86051da9defa33c5.jpg

BenedictGomez

Since this seems to have morphed into a "binding issue" thread........

I just bought a pair of used skis that were set up for a guy who is mondo point 28.5, and I'm 26.5. Is that a small enough difference that the bindings can just me moved a bit, or will the ski likely have to be drilled again?

Cannonball

I just bought a pair of used skis that were set up for a guy who is mondo point 28.5, and I'm 26.5. Is that a small enough difference that the bindings can just me moved a bit, or will the ski likely have to be drilled again?

Whether your boot will fit or not just depends on how much room you have in the binding for movement. You'll probably be fine unless he happened to have the bindings set up with the heel already all the way in.

If you are asking about mounting location, I wouldn't worry about it. Your boot sole center is only going to be ~1cm further forward than his. So worst case is you shrink the binding to fit your boot at you are +1 on the mount. You won't notice.

BenedictGomez

Whether your boot will fit or not just depends on how much room you have in the binding for movement. You'll probably be fine unless he happened to have the bindings set up with the heel already all the way in.

If you are asking about mounting location, I wouldn't worry about it. Your boot sole center is only going to be ~1cm further forward than his. So worst case is you shrink the binding to fit your boot at you are +1 on the mount.

Boot fit is what I'm worried about (i.e. since his boot is 1cm bigger than mine would an adjustment need to be made, and/or even if they fit, would the 1cm make they unsafely "loose" or not).

Puck it

Boot fit is what I'm worried about (i.e. since his boot is 1cm bigger than mine would an adjustment need to be made, and/or even if they fit, would the 1cm make they unsafely "loose" or not).

You may have enough travel in the heel piece adjustment. I would worry about the forward pressure if there is not enough travel in it. It all depends on the original set up though.

snowmonster

It's not the mondo that you should be looking at but the BSL (boot sole length), which corresponds to the actual length of the boot sole rather than the size of the boot. There can be wide variations in the BSL of different boot models in boot sizes. For example, given the same size boot of 26.5, a BD Factor has a BSL of 307 while a BD Quadrant has a BSL of less than 300.

As noted, you may have to move the heel piece. My guess is that you may have to redrill given the variation in the sizes.
You may have enough travel in the heel piece adjustment. I would worry about the forward pressure if there is not enough travel in it. It all depends on the original set up though.
This. Always adjust forward pressure.

BenedictGomez

It's not the mondo that you should be looking at but the BSL (boot sole length), which corresponds to the actual length of the boot sole rather than the size of the boot. There can be wide variations in the BSL of different boot models in boot sizes.

You learn something new every day.

I guess I'll just have to take them into the shop and hope to be lucky.

BenedictGomez

Don't touch your bindings if you are unsure what you are doing. Remounts are a big deal anymore either.

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea about this stuff, so I'll definitely be taking them in to Pelican or some other ski shop to see if they need to be redrilled or could just be fidgeted with as is.

snowmonster

^ Have fun with the new skis, man! I'm in the same process of bringing a new ski and binding into the shop for mounting. They're in my office and I'm having fun just trying to figure out how they'll sit on the ski.

Puck it

My Palmers arrived today. They about the stiffness as my Monsters 88's but with some tip rocker. Keeping them and using the inserts.